Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Tennis Thread

skinsmarydu

On 6/3/2022 at 12:17 PM, abdcskins said:

Rolled ankle by Zverev. Brutal.

That initial rolled ankle report has turned into multi torn ligaments.

Thats a brutal injury.  It honestly could basically be career ending or at least career effecting.

Hope he can come back from it but it’s serious.

Really unfortunate.

It feels like Nadal might just put the grand slam record out of reach for Djoker.  He’s got at least 8 more French Opens in him…. :P 

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Has Nadal replaced Federer as the GOAT, or is he too French Open dominant to be the GOAT? 

Not saying when all said and done that the Joker couldn’t be the GOAT. 

Roger is unquestionably a distant third to Nadal and Novak at this point. His stats are basically comparable to a little behind them, and that's before you factor in that a lot of them came during a lull in competition and before Rafa and Novak hit their prime. Not to knock Roger; just saying that the other two have basically done 100% of their careers in an era where they had to contend with each other, while Roger won like 5 majors against clearly lesser opponents. 

I think this Wimbledon is absolutely critical for Novak's legacy, because there's a real chance he can't play the next two majors. 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:49 AM, Vilandil Tasardur said:

Roger is unquestionably a distant third to Nadal and Novak at this point. His stats are basically comparable to a little behind them, and that's before you factor in that a lot of them came during a lull in competition and before Rafa and Novak hit their prime. Not to knock Roger; just saying that the other two have basically done 100% of their careers in an era where they had to contend with each other, while Roger won like 5 majors against clearly lesser opponents. 

I think this Wimbledon is absolutely critical for Novak's legacy, because there's a real chance he can't play the next two majors. 

You know what’s interesting? Just saw a note today Roger has 369 grand slam wins, Novak is at 327 and Rafa at 306.

He also leads the Semi-Final appearances with 46, though Djoker has 42, and Rafa has 37.

I think we forget how dominant Roger was early in his career.  He ran up numbers that are insane.

However, If you had to give one GOAT, turn right now it’s Rafa.  

Personally, I don’t, really concern myself with that.  I’ll go to my grave saying Rofer’s best was the best I’ve ever seen.  Rafa is the best fighter and clearly the best clay court player ever. 

As a Roger fan, it kills me he had match point against Djokovic twice in the 2018 Wimbledon final and lost, and in a US open Semi and lost.  He wins two of those three points, he has at least 21 slams and maybe 22, and Djokovic is down 2.  But he didn’t win them and here we are. 

But it’s that close between these guys.  Which is why I just group them together.

5 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

I know she hasn’t played in awhile, but when a great can’t even get out of the 1st round, it maybe time. 

She’s going to chase that last grand slam as long as she can but unless she really dedicated herself to fitness and training, she’s cooked. 

Serema won a lot of matches because her lesser opponents went weak at the knees walking on the court. She doesn’t have that anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent win by Rybakina, showed tons of composure after losing the first set. Her serve and forehand is really big. If she can work on her volley game she can win more majors, Jabeur was winning lots of points with drop shots. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Francis Tiafoe beating Diego Schwartzman was huge, from a "country" standpoint.  I like that little kid, tho.

I love tennis. 

I recently compared Schwartzman to Hienicke. 

So Serena is finally done.  Possibly the best woman’s tennis player of all time.  I would love to have seen “at their peak” matchups, with modern technology, of Martina, Seles and Graf against Serena.  I think it would have been really tight.  

All credit to her accomplishments.  I was never a fan of hers.  I always preferred her big sis.  But you have to respect the talent and the game.  

• Thumb up 1