Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Tennis Thread

skinsmarydu

Every single time these guys play each other in slams they deliver a classic.  At one point during the match I actually started getting whistful and sad because I thought maybe we won't get too many more of these epic matches after the next year or two.  Hoping they stay healthy and at the top of their game for a while.

• Like 1

If Djokovic can come back from 2 sets down to win his legacy would grow as a warrior. Very impressed by Tsitsipas. Very composed out there. Djokovic looks to be the rattled one. Wonder if fatigue is an issue. Tsitsipas is the much younger man.

• Like 1

Tsitsipas's feet are heavy.  He's not sliding or moving well any more.  He's tired.  Djokovic doesn't get tired.  He smelled blood in the water in that third set and has been gently but firmly dominating this young guy.  You could see disappointment in Tsitsipas on his face after he broke him in the first game in the fourth set as he waited for Tsitsipas to compose himself as he stood there ready to serve.  Just like, "what are you doing man? this isn't over."

Tsitsipas is done.  He doesn't have championship caliber composure yet.

That forehand though.  It's pretty special and he's got that tall guy one hand backhand where he doesn't have to get all of the way set up for the shot to generate a lot of power and difficult angles on it.

I think he's good enough to be a champion one day, once he gets more experience.

Trickery is my favorite way to see players win.  My favorite Djokovic shot is that booming down the line backhand he uncoils where he crowds the ball and looks like he doesn't have any room to get that kind of power or angle, as everything about his set up looks like he's going to go back cross court.  You can not read that thing coming.

45 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

He's an a-hole on tour.  Everyone knows it. 

There have been some true villains on the tour who got tons of love from crowds.  And yet the fun-loving, witty, polyglot master with one of the most satisfyingly complete games in the history of the sport, who always puts on a show, and who will probably go down as the greatest men's singles player can't get a friendly crowd against a 22 year old kid in his first Final?  After beating Nadal in a stone cold classic two days before?  It just feels wrong.  No other GOAT got treated like that.  Certainly not Federer when he was at his peak.  Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods and Tom Brady are crazy ass pricks and they got adoring fans, crowds, and media treatment throughout the peak of their careers.

36 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There have been some true villains on the tour who got tons of love from crowds.  And yet the fun-loving, witty, polyglot master with one of the most satisfyingly complete games in the history of the sport, who always puts on a show, and who will probably go down as the greatest men's singles player can't get a friendly crowd against a 22 year old kid in his first Final?  After beating Nadal in a stone cold classic two days before?  It just feels wrong.  No other GOAT got treated like that.  Certainly not Federer when he was at his peak.  Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods and Tom Brady are crazy ass pricks and they got adoring fans, crowds, and media treatment throughout the peak of their careers.

I could never stand the show-off white collars AH of Roland Garros. Jokovic made the effort to learn and speak french, after his game vs Nadal he said the crowd was fantastic, he has always respected the crowd, but yet many of them just throw hatred to him or cheer anytime he misses.

I saw Nadal withdrew as well, from both Wimbledon and the Olympics. 

I really want to see an American male emerge and do well. I've been paying more attention recently and there aren't that many guys sadly. Sebastian Korda beat Nishikori today to reach the quarterfinals of the Noventi. Hopefully he can emerge, he is only 20. I like Tiafoe's game too, not sure I ever see him truly contending for majors though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I saw Nadal withdrew as well, from both Wimbledon and the Olympics. 

I really want to see an American male emerge and do well. I've been paying more attention recently and there aren't that many guys sadly. Sebastian Korda beat Nishikori today to reach the quarterfinals of the Noventi. Hopefully he can emerge, he is only 20. I like Tiafoe's game too, not sure I ever see him truly contending for majors though.

Korda and Opelka are probably the best chance. Opelka should be a better version of Isner - and with that serve it just takes one hot week and you're in the quarters of a major.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...