Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kenny Mayne: Dear Fellow White People: Or should I have said ‘Caucasian’?

Bozo the kKklown

I used to half-assed wish that there was some sort of plan, or test, that you had to pass before you could procreate.... but these are the not-well-thought-out pipedreams... that only sound appealing until you give them 1-second of introspection

like poll taxes, or literacy tests (for voting) so that only the well-read can vote --- but the reality has them ALWAYS unfairly applied (they end that end up only being applied to minorities)

or perfect equality ---- where nobody gives a **** or strives for anything.

or  the 12 inch wang i always wished i had back when i was just growing up..... i have been regretting that one for years.....

8 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

The wang thing is out of your hands. 

The rest of these things we can impact. 

yes.

true.

my wang thing is out of my hands.... right now... because i am at the office.   

(the OTHER things are much worse ideas)

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

The best indicator of educational success (poverty stricken, middle class, upper class, and in between) is the highest level of education of the mother.

Ummm...I dont think this is accurate at all...in fact...pretty sure this is completely false.

4 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Ummm...I dont think this is accurate at all...in fact...pretty sure this is completely false.

im pretty sure its been empirically shown to be highly accurate.   

the single best indicator of student achievement is the educational level of parents.   due to father absenteeism, the even better single best indicator is mother's level of education.

students of well educated parents do well in good school systems, and tend to actively seek good school systems even more than other groups (so self reinforcing self-selection bias....)   

BUT (and this one is a little surprising) children of well educated parents ALSO do very well in poor achieving schools--- they tend to do well WHEREVER they go to school.....  and they have a spillover benefit, too.   (low achieving students improve achievement when they are surrounded by more children of well educated parents)

19 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Article from a grad class given to me from one of my former superintendents

http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/109074/chapters/how-poverty-affects-behavior-and-academic-performance.aspx

I used to have hard copies of education journal articles outlining how the mother's level of education impacts the things mentioned in the article above. When studying poverty, it's hard to get out of poverty because the system is rigged against folks in poverty. A lack of education creates a barrier mothers (and fathers) can't overcome and eventually impacts the child, continuing the cycle. Reducing poverty to its simplest form, the education level of the mother is the root factor leading to many of the outcomes mentioned in the article. 

Education success then is key to overcome poverty, leaving the education level of the mother as the most important factor in overcoming poverty.

when you talk about people being cowards... (white or otherwise) .... if the well educated were BRAVE, they plow their kids into low achieving schools, and/or welcome impoverished children into their children's high-achieving schools

but.... 

... whothehell wants to make that leap-of-faith with THEIR OWN kids ----- even if it is based on a theory that is apparently supported by empirical evidence...?

50 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

im pretty sure its been empirically shown to be highly accurate.   

Well...then my entire family is the outlier of the study because myself as well as my cousins follow more of our fathers education levels.

As I think of it...most of my friends and those I grew up with as well...perhaps it doesn't apply to suburban people?

Xameil, there are always outliers. In my case, I certainly follow my mothers as do each of my close friends. Ultimately, people with higher levels of education put a great emphasis on education, which leads to higher wages. While in poverty, it's hard to overcome it because of all the barriers put in place. 

I'm also much closer to my father's education level than my mothers. But I'm closer to her financial success than he ever was so I dont know how to call it personally. 

Though I have read before the mother thing. 

1 minute ago, Busch1724 said:

Xameil, there are always outliers. In my case, I certainly follow my mothers as do each of my close friends. Ultimately, people with higher levels of education put a great emphasis on education, which leads to higher wages. While in poverty, it's hard to overcome it because of all the barriers put in place. 

Yea it's hard for me to deny this

3 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

I agree, it just seems that everyone I know and my entire area it seems is an outlier. Makes me wonder if this is more a regional thing.

Maybe it's because most of the people I know and have ever come across, the father is always extremely involved.

4 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

What barrier ?  

4 minutes ago, Xameil said:

It just seems that everyone I know and my entire area it seems is an outlier. Makes me wonder if this is more a regional thing.

Maybe it's because most of the people I know and have ever come across, the father is always extremely involved.

Education starts at home. 

Respect. 

Honor. 

Trust. 

Laughter. 

Responsibility. 

etc. 

16 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

What barrier ?  

There are many. For instance, things like sin taxes (cigarette, soda, etc.) impact them more than other income brackets. Poverty stricken folks do not have cars at all or if they do, the cars have issues. There are a lack of affordable grocery stores in urban, poverty stricken areas; leaving them to shop at convenient stores that cost much more. Poverty stricken areas do not have banks (there are, but not in many rough parts of town), citizens in those areas are then charged fees for cashing checks. On that note, poverty stricken people are more likely to not have a bank account, writing checks requires money orders. Along those lines, they are more likely to have overdue bills requiring money orders, which you guessed it, include fees. Affordable, healthy food is not available to them. Diets of poor people are much more unhealthy. This is just a short list of barriers that are stressors on them trying to overcome a bad situation. These kinds of things spiral into other aspects of life, such as schooling and finding ways to just get by.

Side note...One of the best trainings I have ever gone through was from the Milton Hershey School here in central PA. It's a private, tuition free school that provides schooling and housing for lower income children in the Hershey area. The trainings they provide to schools nearby is excellent and eye opening. 

22 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I agree, it just seems that everyone I know and my entire area it seems is an outlier. Makes me wonder if this is more a regional thing.

are there tons of highly educated fathers marrying poorly educated mothers in your area?    because in general those birds tend to flock together.   

(the reason people emphasize education of mothers in these models, is for simplicity.   Mothers are much less likely to not be involved with the upbringing of their children, and it is simpler just to focus on mothers than to have a complicated algorithm:   Education of parents in two person households, and then the education of the primary caregiver parent in separated or more complex households, grandparents...etc... --- if you can ferret out any of that information in a large longitudinal dataset...)

------- but what this is showing is showing is parents that are active in the education of their children have the best achieving children, on balance.   Education level of parents is a good proxy for how much parents value education/ are actively involved in their children's education.  Education level of mothers is a pretty good proxy for overall level of education of all people helping to raise the child.  simplifying assumptions, all.   

@mcsluggo I was wondering the same thing...are there a lot of high school drop-out moms with college-educated dads in the suburbs? In my experience, it's very comparable (in the NoVA suburbs). If there's a difference, it might occasionally be a master's degree with one parent and an undergrad degree with the other, but I would imagine we are splitting hairs at that point (as well as dealing with an exception). 

So they chose to stay where they are. 

They have a choice. 

I know folks that are in... what I feel is poverty. 

They are not forced to go to the corner market. They can indeed find a way. 

They are fine and dandy doing the things they do. 

I strive for the best. I was raised that way. Settle for nothing less. I got a dime on my side and a pocket full. 

11 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

There are many. For instance, things like sin taxes (cigarette, soda, etc.) impact them more than other income brackets. Poverty stricken folks do not have cars at all or if they do, the cars have issues. There are a lack of affordable grocery stores in urban, poverty stricken areas; leaving them to shop at convenient stores that cost much more. Poverty stricken areas do not have banks, citizens in those areas are then charged fees for cashing checks. On that note, poverty stricken people are more likely to not have a bank account, writing check require money orders. Along those lines, they are more likely to have overdue bills requiring money orders, which you guessed it, include fees. Affordable, healthy food is not available to them. Diets of poor people are much more unhealthy. This is just a short list of barriers that are stressors on them trying to overcome a bad situation. These kinds of things spiral into other aspects of life, such as schooling and finding ways to just get by. One of the best trainings I have ever gone through was from the Milton Hershey School here in central PA. It's a private, tuition free school that provides schooling and housing for lower income children in the Hershey area. The trainings they provide to schools nearby is excellent and eye opening. 

@mcsluggo

I wouldn't call them high school dropouts, but yes the father is typically much higher educated. Maybe because the remnants of GE in my area?

I dont the reason why..but it really isnt just my little corner of upstate NY...its ALOT of the people I know from around the state and Pennsylvania.

That being said...my wifes intelligence does follow the study. Her mother is WAY smarter then her father...she grew up in a city type area. So I again think perhaps its city vs. Suburbs

15 minutes ago, Xameil said:

@mcsluggo

I wouldn't call them high school dropouts, but yes the father is typically much higher educated. Maybe because the remnants of GE in my area?

I dont the reason why..but it really isnt just my little corner of upstate NY...its ALOT of the people I know from around the state and Pennsylvania.

That being said...my wifes intelligence does follow the study. Her mother is WAY smarter then her father...she grew up in a city type area. So I again think perhaps its city vs. Suburbs

It's just curiosity now...but what is the general discrepancy? Mom has a GED and dad has a 4-year degree?

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's just curiosity now...but what is the general discrepancy? Mom has a GED and dad has a 4-year degree?

I wouldn't say GED, but there is a difference in education level between the 2. Maybe HS vs college, or BA vs MS, etc. But in all cases the Father is higher educated. 

I just don't see the results they are reporting, so it's either a regional thing, or perhaps the study had an answer it wanted in mind before it was conducted. 

Dont know the reason. Just giving you the observations I have made by real life experiences and real life encounters.

But as I also stated...my wife ( who is from a more city environment) is the one person I know the mother is higher educated then the father and she's intelligent....her sisters ( 5 of them) not so much. They are all dropouts. She's also the oldest.

Archived