Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rank the Skins' head coaches over the last 25 years

1. Gibbs (2 trips to the playoffs, 1 win)

2. Turner (1 trip to the playoffs, 1 win)

3. Gruden (1 trip to the playoffs, 0 wins.  Better overall record than Shanahan)

4. Shanahan (1 trip to the playoffs, 0 wins)

5. Marty Schottenheimer (Finished 8-8 after an 0-5 start)

6. Jim Zorn (2 years here, 1 year without a losing record)

7. Steve Suprrier (2 years here, 2 years with losing records)

8. Richie Petitbon (Awful record but was only the coach for a season)

9. Terry Robiskie (Temp coach)

1. Marty Schottenheimer 8-8 - I'll catch alot for putting Schottenheimer at 1 but 0-5 to 8-8 had this area buzzing. If it wasn't for Snyder I truly believe we could have won 11-12 games in year 2 with Marty. 

2. Joe Gibbs 30-34 - Gibbs is a legend and he got the most out of these Redskin teams. Giving up his play calling to Al Saunders was terrible in hindsight imo.

3. Norv Turner 49-59-1 - Norv is and was an offensive genius. The team in 1999 was easily the best Redskin team of this list. If Snyder didn't mettle who knows how 2000 would of went.

4. Mike Shanahan 24-40 - Another coach who had Snyder in the way. I put Shanny at 4 bc of the respect I have for a football mind before being tarnished by Snyder.

5. Jay Gruden 28-35-1 - Middle of the road. I knock him for not doing more with the talent we had around Cousins.

6. Richie Petitbon 4-12 - Hard to replace a legend. He was a strong defensive mind. 

7. Terry Robiskie 1-2 - Even with 3 games I put him over the bottom two bc he had at least basic football knowledge and common sense.

8. Steve Spurrier 12-20 - I give him credit for giving up some playcalling and trying to learn the NFL game. It just never worked the way we hoped.

9. Jim Zorn 12-20 - Idiot. Nuff said.

1 hour ago, AldersonRedskinFan said:

1. Marty Schottenheimer 8-8 - I'll catch alot for putting Schottenheimer at 1 but 0-5 to 8-8 had this area buzzing. If it wasn't for Snyder I truly believe we could have won 11-12 games in year 2 with Marty. 

2. Joe Gibbs 30-34 - Gibbs is a legend and he got the most out of these Redskin teams. Giving up his play calling to Al Saunders was terrible in hindsight imo.

3. Norv Turner 49-59-1 - Norv is and was an offensive genius. The team in 1999 was easily the best Redskin team of this list. If Snyder didn't mettle who knows how 2000 would of went.

4. Mike Shanahan 24-40 - Another coach who had Snyder in the way. I put Shanny at 4 bc of the respect I have for a football mind before being tarnished by Snyder.

5. Jay Gruden 28-35-1 - Middle of the road. I knock him for not doing more with the talent we had around Cousins.

6. Richie Petitbon 4-12 - Hard to replace a legend. He was a strong defensive mind. 

7. Terry Robiskie 1-2 - Even with 3 games I put him over the bottom two bc he had at least basic football knowledge and common sense.

8. Steve Spurrier 12-20 - I give him credit for giving up some playcalling and trying to learn the NFL game. It just never worked the way we hoped.

9. Jim Zorn 12-20 - Idiot. Nuff said.

to much Snyder bashing, especially in regards to Shanny.  I've heard the vets didn't even like Marty and Norv had six year

ANd I can't believe anyone who put Zorn below Spurrier.  At least Zorn wasn't lazy and knew what an NFL QB looked like

5 hours ago, carex said:

to much Snyder bashing, especially in regards to Shanny.  I've heard the vets didn't even like Marty and Norv had six year

ANd I can't believe anyone who put Zorn below Spurrier.  At least Zorn wasn't lazy and knew what an NFL QB looked like

Honestly probably not enough Snyder bashing.

Marty ball went on to the Chargers and had more success than what we have seen since 1991. He also had the best winning % at .500 even though it was only one season.

Norv had success in 1999 and the first half of 2000 until Brad Johnson got hurt and Snyder mettled.

Shanny was ok but rg3 running to the owner was pathetic and at the end of the day he was right Cousins >>>> rg3.

Spurrier and Zorn were both 12-20 so it's really a coin flip. Imo Zorn was worse but I'm not gonna debate two pos coaches lmao.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:20 PM, AldersonRedskinFan said:

Shanny was ok but rg3 running to the owner was pathetic and at the end of the day he was right Cousins >>>> rg3.

Shanny was a train wreck. Except for the RGIII rookie season, he barely managed 6 wins a season. 

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

Shanny was a train wreck. Except for the RGIII rookie season, he barely managed 6 wins a season. 

and he was prepared to throw in the towel on that season.  I think part of the reason he did cave on RG3 starting immediately the next year and did so little for him in the offense they ra that year was he'd been embarrassed the previous year

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 4:23 PM, hail2skins said:

I hope you meant the '05 team.  The '04 D was very solid but that offense......yuck!  Even the O in the first two games of '05  was anemic, including the MNF Miracle, and I think fans were starting to wonder if Gibbs 2.0 was going to work out. But things seemed to start clicking after returning from an early bye.  I do think the 2005 season was probably overall the most fun of the 25 years this thread is concentrating on, beating out 1999 and 2012.

A lot of the replies to this thread are coming down to Gibbs vs Jay, two mediocre four-year runs (so far for Jay), and the tie breaker probably comes down to Gibbs hiring Gregg Williams as his D while Jay has had (gulp!) Jim Haslett, Joe Barry, and (who might turn out to be decent) Greg Manusky. 

I honestly had the most fun watching that '04 team simply because of the defense... The '05 team succeeds them because they had the better offense and the D was still awesome but statistically they weren't as good as the '04 D..Look it up..

Archived