Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP- Historic Purcellville Hardware Store Kicks Out Eagle Scout

Dan T.

A historic hardware store. Allegations of homophobia. And the Boy Scouts.

by Terrance McCoy

A historic hardware store in Purcellville, Va., is at the center of a community controversy over allegations that one of its employees used an anti-gay slur after refusing to help a Boy Scout asking for donations for a service project.

The alleged incident happened Friday afternoon at Nichols Hardware, a family-owned store that was founded more than 100 years ago and is a “trip back in time,” according to a Loudoun County history organization.

After the boy and his father were turned away, Carlyn Hamilton, who was finishing up her purchase, said the employee turned to her and said, “You know they let homos in, right?” He was referring to the Boy Scouts. “And he said, ‘We do not support homos around here, I can tell you that,’ ” Hamilton said Sunday.

Hamilton said she was waiting for her receipt when the bell at the door chimed, and the teen entered the store with his father.

“I noticed how handsome he looked,” she said. “Well-pressed Boy Scout uniform. He looked very proud, and maybe a little nervous.”

He asked the three men behind the counter for help with his project. Immediately, one of them told him, “ ‘Absolutely not,’ ” Hamilton said. “ ‘There is no such thing as the Boy Scouts anymore.’ ”

The boy froze, she said, uncertain.

“And he was like: ‘Did you hear me? We don’t support your organization. You allow in gays.’ ”

The employee pointed at the door, she said, and the boy lowered his head. “Thank you for your time,” the boy said.

“It broke my heart,” Hamilton said.

When contacted Sunday by The Washington Post, a manager at Nichols who would identify himself only as Glenn called the allegation “hearsay.” He said he would talk to the employee Monday.

“I won’t put up with it,” he said. “If it turns out to be true, he will be terminated.”

The store’s manager said he was worried about what the drama might mean for the store.

Article here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/a-virginia-hardware-store-allegations-of-homophobia-and-the-boy-scouts/2018/05/20/72c9ff24-5c68-11e8-a4a4-c070ef53f315_story.html?utm_term=.4bc0eb4dfffa

I think I've been in that store.  And it is a trip back in time.  Not surprising that the kid encountered that there.

I just don't get people.  Do unto others, the golden rule.  Hard rule to live by, no one gets it right 100% of the time but it's like some people don't even wanna try.  

"We don't support homos"

translation:

"whenever i find out someone is a homo, i can't stop thinking of him having gay sex. It just runs through my mind on a loop, his firm body and some other man's firm body..penetrating each other, grunting and grinding..   
I just can't stop thinking about it. I think it's disgusting, and yet, it won't get out of my mind. Every time i see him. The first time I found out Jeff was gay, immediately i thought about him sucking some guy's ****, and every time i see him afterwards, i can't stop seeing it. He's disgusting!

Because it's the only thing that makes him any different, y'see, and if he's not just doing it right out there in the open, then it's up to me to imagine what makes him different, and my god, i can't stop thinking about that man on man lust he must enjoy as often as he can.

Oh yeah, and god and all that.. but dammit, Jeff seemed like such a decent guy! The idea of him having butt sex with Frank over there is just something i am too uncomfortable imagining. He's disgusting.
'Course, i don't know if Frank is gay or not, but he looks like it."

if you "don't support homos" the problem is YOU, you filthy minded pervert.

~Bang

Horrific for the Scout. That poor kid. ? Having to be so rudely responded to, and his organization (that teaches him to "be prepared") totally dismissed. 

Absolutely terrible. 

On the plus side, he's better prepared to deal with assholes now. 

36 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Horrific for the Scout. That poor kid. ? Having to be so rudely responded to, and his organization (that teaches him to "be prepared") totally dismissed. 

Absolutely terrible. 

Given the nature of this thread, that's ****ing hilarious :ols:

45 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Absolutely terrible. 

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Given the nature of this thread, that's ****ing hilarious :ols:

giphy.gif

Nichols Hardware is the closest hardware store to me. It is also the highest priced hardware store, the most difficult to find anything hardware store, the open for ridiculous hours hardware store, and the worst parking ever for a business (4 spots). Hell, they still have carbon copy receipts that are done by hand in illegible old man handwriting (they calculate the tax by hand and total by hand).

I drive the extra 12 minutes to get to Lowes, use my veterans discount, and end up saving close to 25% on any order. Plus, they have new stuff and not just stuff from 5 years ago.

The store is dying as it is, this will just hasten it's death.  And only the old men that work their in retirement will miss it.

24 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Nichols Hardware is the closest hardware store to me. It is also the highest priced hardware store, the most difficult to find anything hardware store, the open for ridiculous hours hardware store, and the worst parking ever for a business (4 spots). Hell, they still have carbon copy receipts that are done by hand in illegible old man handwriting (they calculate the tax by hand and total by hand).

I drive the extra 12 minutes to get to Lowes, use my veterans discount, and end up saving close to 25% on any order. Plus, they have new stuff and not just stuff from 5 years ago.

The store is dying as it is, this will just hasten it's death.  And only the old men that work their in retirement will miss it.

If this is the place I am thinking of, it's right off the main drag through Purcellville and the parking is on the side street?  It's those annoying ass angled parking spots, right?

I remember being there a few years ago and for some reason I had to buy a screwdriver.  I remember thinking the store itself was pretty cool with the rustic feel but as the guy hand wrote a receipt to me I just figured their system was down or something.  

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If this is the place I am thinking of, it's right off the main drag through Purcellville and the parking is on the side street?  It's those annoying ass angled parking spots, right?

I remember being there a few years ago and for some reason I had to buy a screwdriver.  I remember thinking the store itself was pretty cool with the rustic feel but as the guy hand wrote a receipt to me I just figured their system was down or something.  

Yes, but the angled parking is supposed to be for the stores across the street from Nichols.  Looking at the store, there is a lot directly to the right that is 4 spots.  Those spots are the only assigned spots for Nichols.

They don't have a web site. Their hours suck (open daily 8-5:30!!!!!, Sat 8-5, & Sun 10-4). 

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

The best part of the whole story... the kid, after listening to that tirade and being kicked out of the store, responds as he's leaving, "Thank you for your time."

Bless that kid.

That's exactly what I meant. With the kindness and dignity that was denied to him. 

A very special young man, indeed. ?

Archived