Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Heavy Metal Thread

JCB

11 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

Um, have you guys heard Stryper lately? Seriously, when did they become Amon Amarth? 

Wut?? I'll look into this. Amon Amarth is badass, seen 'em twice at Fillmore Silver Spring. Loudest band I've ever heard - they jacked my ears up and I've been wearing earplugs to shows ever since.

Here's a fun little experiment. Sometimes there are songs that just feel metal, waiting to be unleashed in their true form...

The Specials - Man at C & A (1980)

and it's true form:

Anaal Nathrakh - Man at C & A (2011)

On 1/28/2020 at 9:28 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

Reed Mullin R.I.P. 

Corrosion of Conformity

Long time since i heard much Corrosion of Conformity. Just saw this (honestly had not seen this thread before). My favorite of their's is Clean My Wounds. Used to play a lot of foosball with this on 🙂  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Devin Townsend also performed on an Ayreon album many moons ago.  Plays the part of Rage.

Also there's a didgeridoo.

Wow...that is...something different. And that is definitely Devin.

I've never listened to Ayreon before, for some reason I was expecting traditional power metal. The music sounds like the Middle Ages or being at a Ren-Fest but the lyrics...seem modern? I'll have to listen to the whole album to get the context.

13 hours ago, Metalhead said:

Wow...that is...something different. And that is definitely Devin.

I've never listened to Ayreon before, for some reason I was expecting traditional power metal.

Power Metal?  From me? :ph34r:

But yeah, this is more of a progressive metal opera.

The music sounds like the Middle Ages or being at a Ren-Fest but the lyrics...seem modern?

You know, the name of the band comes from the name of a character on the first album: a minstrel of medieval times who begins receiving premonitions.  Arjen wanted to take a medieval name and give it a futuristic twist.

I'll have to listen to the whole album to get the context.

This particular album would definitely be more modern-day, as it is telling the story of a man in a coma after being involved in a car crash.  It alternates between what's going on inside his head as he re-evaluates his life and how he got there, and the perspectives of his best friend and his wife visiting him in the hospital.

Most of his albums all take place in the same sci-fi universe, some more connected than others.  This album is only loosely attached to the universe by a thread at the very end of the album.

I wouldn't really call Ayreon a band, so much as a project, since it's all the brain-child of Arjen Lucassen, and he gathers a different set of people for each album, with only a couple people, usually, who return multiple times.  Tends to have a fair amount of Power Metal vocalists as their voices are ideal for an opera, but as you can see, he'll get something different when the role calls for it.  It's pretty impressive he's able to get guys like Townsend, Satriani, and Dickenson to play a little role in this labor of love of his.  Even some folks outside of the music scene like John DeLancie and Tom Baker being brought in as narrators.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Thanks 1

Devin is my favorite. He was the last concert I went to here at the beginning of March in Houston. He had a cold and could still sing circles around anyone else. I paid to see a couple of his Covid concerts, they were fun.

I really want to like Jinjer. Love Tatiana's vocals, but I just feel the band is missing something. Although, to be honest, I haven't listened to a whole album, so I am probably missing something there. I absolutely love I Speak Astronomy.

TryTheBeal! Thanks for getting me onto Cattle Decap! I listened to them many many years ago, and they just didn't click with me, so I've avoided them.  Death Atlas changed that. I've only listened to their last few albums, but the screams Travis does are fantastic.

One of my favorites just released a new song, Enslaved. They are doing free concerts starting at the end of July.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 11:46 PM, PokerPacker said:

Most of his albums all take place in the same sci-fi universe, some more connected than others.  This album is only loosely attached to the universe by a thread at the very end of the album.

I wouldn't really call Ayreon a band, so much as a project, since it's all the brain-child of Arjen Lucassen, and he gathers a different set of people for each album, with only a couple people, usually, who return multiple times.  Tends to have a fair amount of Power Metal vocalists as their voices are ideal for an opera, but as you can see, he'll get something different when the role calls for it.  It's pretty impressive he's able to get guys like Townsend, Satriani, and Dickenson to play a little role in this labor of love of his.  Even some folks outside of the music scene like John DeLancie and Tom Baker being brought in as narrators.

I checked out some more of their stuff. I found a lyric video for The Source...pretty neat, as it highlights each singer/character when their parts come up. It's crazy that it's like watching a movie (or musical).

Edited by Metalhead

18 hours ago, Metalhead said:

I checked out some more of their stuff. I found a lyric video for The Source...pretty neat, as it highlights each singer/character when their parts come up. It's crazy that it's like watching a movie (or musical).

Oh yeah, The Day That The World Breaks Down is a good one.  That's a lot of really talented vocalists taking turns in the spotlight in that song.  I really do appreciate seeing the behind-the-scenes along with the annotations.  Was pretty interesting, for example, to know that Mike Mills was just given a script with a bunch of ones and zeroes on it and given the freedom to come up with the melody himself.  (If you interpret it as ASCII characters, it translates to 'trustTH1')

Anyways, I'm a big fan of that album.  Something really interesting about the album: it came out about nine years after 01011001 ('Y' in ASCII) and is a prequel to that album.  The very end of The Source transitions almost seemlessly into 01011001.  https://viewsync.net/watch?v=NvdzO8z_tp8&t=71&v=u5-sRxn5Xac&t=16&mode=solo

edit: I just realized you meant the lyric video for the whole album where, well, everything you said about it.  Not the video Arjen put together for the first song where you see clips of the individuals recording their parts and he left some annotations.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

Arjen Luccassen the writer/creater/God of Ayreon seriously has some of the best metal guitar tone I've ever heard. it's like an Ada preamp ran thru the power section of a Marshall Plexi mixed with a Bogner Ubershall. Been a fan since The Electric Castle.  It's more on the progressive side than metal but Universal Migrator part 1 has some of the best songwriting I've ever heard in my life. 

9 hours ago, ShredSkins said:

Arjen Luccassen the writer/creater/God of Ayreon seriously has some of the best metal guitar tone I've ever heard. it's like an Ada preamp ran thru the power section of a Marshall Plexi mixed with a Bogner Ubershall. Been a fan since The Electric Castle.  It's more on the progressive side than metal but Universal Migrator part 1 has some of the best songwriting I've ever heard in my life. 

He certainly puts a lot of effort into the sound.  I'll take your word on the guitar stuff.  The video for The Day that the World Breaks Down had some pretty interesting stuff on his set-up, though.  Beyond that, I love how much other instrumentation he'll put into the music.  I love me some Jazz Flute, and there's some excellent flouting going on in some of his songs like Amazing Flight.  Pairing that up in a duel with a violin worked really well (I've heard that from Rhapsody as well, which I enjoyed, but the instruments were being used very differently as Rhapsody used the flute in a more traditional folk manner and the violin gave me more fiddle vibes).

The Didgeridoo was used to great effect in Loser to set the tone.  Now there's gonna be a Hurdy Gurdy in Transitus which has my interest piqued.  I wasn't familiar with that instrument before, but I did a little research on it and it's a pretty fascinating device using a rotary to play a bunch of strings simultaneously with a keypad to alter the pitch of some of them.  Seems like there's even more nuance to the instrument that isn't as easy to boil down.

On a separate note, pirate metal has become rather meta as Rumahoy steals an Alestorm song.

Edited by PokerPacker

Holy **** I am happy to see this thread! I never knew it was here....

Blasted two of my all-time faves this morning on the way to work: Sevendust and In Flames (so glad In Flames seems to be going back to their old feel lately)

A good one I caught this morning: "Welcome to the eye of the Tiger, GO!" Makes me want to disrespect my surroundings! Go to the 2:20 mark...

Another winner:

Edited by SemperFi Skins

• 3 weeks later...

I love The Ocean. They have a new album coming this September. This is the first song released. Maybe I need to listen to it more. It sounds a bit Toolish to me. That's not good in my opinion. 

If you don't like that, I also share this. And if you don't like this, what the heck is wrong with you? :)

On 6/16/2020 at 8:18 AM, SemperFi Skins said:

Holy **** I am happy to see this thread! I never knew it was here....

Blasted two of my all-time faves this morning on the way to work: Sevendust and In Flames (so glad In Flames seems to be going back to their old feel lately)

I was a huge fan of In Flames up to Clayman. After that, ehhhh....no. Have you heard the re-recorded version of Clayman? I definitely prefer the original.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Gojira rules!  And they’re an ELITE live act.

Yep, saw them in Tampa Bay when they were coming up. From Mars to Sirius just released. They opened for Trivium (yuck), Machine Head who were good at the time and Lamb of God who were also killing it. Missed the first couple songs of the set thanks to venue. But went in and just heard this badass band. I watched what was left of their show and they killed it. I remember Joe Duplantier saying how much they love Morbid Angel. Seen them a few times since and they are always fantastic. Very tight band. 

just looked it up, it was 2007. The 3 hour drive was worth it.