Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Roblox is fun as hell

Oh yes. My 12 years old daughter saw me making a design of the deck on a piece of paper and said she can do it in Roblox. I was like okay. She made it and turned it into a game. The deck had a big screen TV, sofa and all, which I am not doing in real life... lol

• 5 months later...

Father arrested, charged after tackling Southeast Guilford student-athlete at wrestling tournament, police say

KANNAPOLIS, N.C. -- A father was arrested and is charged with simple assault after he rushed and tackled a high school student-athlete during a wrestling match, according to a Kannapolis Police Department news release.

Barry Lee Jones, of Harrisburg, was arrested on Saturday at 415 East 1st St.

He is charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct.

The student-athlete he tackled was from Southeast Guilford High School and was wrestling Jones' son, who is a student from Hickory Ridge High School, the release says.

Jones was processed at the Cabarrus County Jail and received a $1,000 secured bond.

The SGHS student-athlete was reportedly not injured.

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Sad 1

The important quote in that article is:

The expert on the mat at the time of the incident gave the hand signals to call the SGHS student athlete's move as illegal, according to the North Carolina High School Athletic Association.

I assume that "the expert on the mat" means the ref.  The ref should have made the hand signal, but also physically halted the match and stopped the illegal move/hold if it iwas potentially dangerous.  On the other hand, if the SGHS wrestler already completed it the illegal move and hurt the other kid, I've seen fights break out over that (usually between the teammates).  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The important quote in that article is:

I assume that "the expert on the mat" means the ref.  The ref should have made the hand signal, but also physically halted the match and stopped the illegal move/hold if it iwas potentially dangerous.  On the other hand, if the SGHS wrestler already completed it the illegal move and hurt the other kid, I've seen fights break out over that (usually between the teammates).  

There's a video.  The move had already been completed.

55 minutes ago, China said:

There's a video.  The move had already been completed.

Ok, i saw the video. That throw used to be legal, but I think nowadays you aren’t allowed to do lifts above the shoulder and then plant them head first like that. That said, c’mon, if you let your kid wrestle, you should know that sometimes things like this are going to happen.  Dad deserves a night in the cooler. 

PB has spoken. /bangs gavel. 

• Haha 3

Trying to teach a 4 year old the interrupting cow knock knock joke is fun. Definitely recommend it. 

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Ok, i saw the video. That throw used to be legal,

yeah side by side suplex right?

i used to be so good at the hip tosses. My favorite throw 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, tshile said:

Let me know if you experience the irony of your kid that won’t stop interrupting you all ****ing day and night can’t figure out how to tell the joke correctly. 

it’s great lol

I told him interrupting cow twice and he thought it was hilarious. Then he asked for interrupting sheep. Then interrupting goat, pig, horse, farmer, Tyrannosaurus rex, and volcano. After that the dinosaurs were extinct. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, tshile said:

Trying to teach a 4 year old the interrupting cow knock knock joke is fun. Definitely recommend it. 

We did that long ago, mine is 7 now, and if I recall correctly the result was her calling her grandma a cow when trying to tell the joke herself.  Went like this:

(Daughter) knock knock
(My mother) who’s there?

(Daughter) you’re a cow!  Moo!  

so much laughter.  

• Haha 6

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Does anyone have anything they bought for their infant that was unique or creative or particularly useful?

Asking because the new kiddo is arriving next week, Im on my second bottle of wine, and am currently surfing Amazon. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Oogiebear-BLU1-oogiebear-Nose-Cleaner/dp/B00GXTTPKI good to have a bulb and this imo 

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Milk-Snob-Multi-Use-Breathable/dp/B07B9M6V9Z?th=1&psc=1 (dual nursing and car seat cover) 

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Relaxing-Soothing-Charging-Auto-Off/dp/B00A2JBMRE (ocean setting is $) 

https://www.amazon.com/aden-anais-Swaddle-Blanket-Viscose/dp/B01CDEP4HO/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=bamboo+blanket+baby&qid=1581732611&sprefix=bamboo+blanket&sr=8-4 these blankets are awesome 

Also if you don’t have a boppy nursing pillow, get one. Doubles for putting behind him when he starts sitting up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Good **** here, thank you. :cheers:

Re: the first booger thing, we are partial to the on that lets you suck them out. This thing. https://fridababy.com/products/nosefrida

Sound machine is crucial. My wife’s office threw her a shower and they got us this thing.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XMRCC94/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_0A1rEbWKR6B15

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Does anyone have anything they bought for their infant that was unique or creative or particularly useful?

Asking because the new kiddo is arriving next week, Im on my second bottle of wine, and am currently surfing Amazon. :)

This was a hit with all our 3 kids. They look real cute after a bath. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Hudson-Baby-Animal-Bathrobe-Elephant/dp/B074P13JLM/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-YmFieSBzdHVmZg%3D%3D-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=baby+stuff&keywords=baby+stuff&pd_rd_i=B074P13JLM&pd_rd_r=45573f29-37ce-4ba2-bbba-452951d41db7&pd_rd_w=JnAMS&pd_rd_wg=e1nkk&pf_rd_p=de19e82a-2d83-4ae8-9f5c-212586b8b9a0&pf_rd_r=8VQE3RJAXZ1DMW4GKY6B&psc=1&qid=1581733588&sr=1-1-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tshile said:

How do you get your 4 year old to go to sleep?

My wife had a routine as a stay home mom. When it was time for bed she would lay down with the child and tell them to close their eyes. The child would fall asleep and she would quietly leave the room. Worked for all of the 3 kids. There were times when more time was spent putting them to sleep but that is given. 

The best thing to do is keep the child take smaller nap during the day so they will fall asleep faster during bedtime. We actually did that even at a younger age. It worked for us. 

35 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

What time does he/she sleep until? Still napping during the day? What time is bedtime? 

fwiw 3-6 year olds are still supposed to get between 10-12hr of sleep per day. 

Yeah I know that’s the problem. Dude wakes up about 7. Sleeps about an hour at daycare.