Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

He's not on the team next year...that's pretty much a given.  I think for a guy as tenured as Jones (who has no trade value,) let him play out the season.  Doesn't really hurt at all and he can get a proper sendoff as the season comes to an end in a couple of months.  He can also take a guys like Mullins/Stewart (assuming they're called up) under his wing for the time being.  I think Jones will be amicable. 

4 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

He's not on the team next year...that's pretty much a given.  I think for a guy as tenured as Jones (who has no trade value,) let him play out the season.  Doesn't really hurt at all and he can get a proper sendoff as the season comes to an end in a couple of months.  He can also take a guys like Mullins/Stewart (assuming they're called up) under his wing for the time being.  I think Jones will be amicable. 

I would actually prefer this entire situation if he WAS coming back for another 2-3 years. Obviously I don't want him starting in CF (or potentially anywhere) but his leadership with the young OF we have coming up could be a bigger deal from an intangible perspective. 

I don't have any issue with Jones not wanting to be traded. It's not like he is blocking anyone from being called up. I think after the trade deadline we will see Mullins brought up and put in center and see Jones moved to RF. I suspect Jones will be fine with that. 

The only way Jones is back next season is if Trumbo is traded. The only way Trumbo is traded is if the O's agree to eat most of his salary. At that point a 2 or 3 year deal for Jones could be reasonable. If Victor Victor is sign, there is no way Jones is back no matter what they do with Trumbo. 

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If Victor Victor Mesa and Cedric Mullins are in the outfield next year, we'll have a good to great outfield defense.

I will miss Jones.

Remove Mancini and now you are talking. No more first basemen in the OF is an automatic upgrade.

Yankees have added bonus pool money and could offer mesa the 3.5M, if they want to. Im not sure why they would have traded to add int'l signing money if they werent targeting Mesa.

You never know, still hoping Os get Mesa. It would further prove the Angelos sons are in charge and have freedom to run this thing like the other 29 teams.

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Not sure where VVM fits for the Yankees with Stanton, Judge and Gardner in the outfield but we'll see.  

Hoping the Orioles can get that guy, I'd be really excited.

They could just trade him next year for a stud. Rich get richer in the MLB.

Im still pissed the Red Sox signed Moncada for 31.5M and then just flipped him for Chris Sale (who had 3 years left on his deal). I get even more pissed when red Sox fans act like they didnt just buy Sale and say they had to trade prospects for him.

55 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Im still pissed the Red Sox signed Moncada for 31.5M and then just flipped him for Chris Sale (who had 3 years left on his deal). I get even more pissed when red Sox fans act like they didnt just buy Sale and say they had to trade prospects for him.

And they cheated the rules to get Moncada in the first place. 

The only thing that the O's would get in trading Jones is some salary relief. And then, the O's would have to eat most to trade him. And even then, he'd have to waive his NTC. 

Wow, DD isn't messing around.   Sure you can dump Machado, Britton and Brach because their deals expire this year anyway.   But trading Gausman signals they're definitely committed to rebuilding the farm and are looking at winning 2021 at the earliest.  

In retrospect, this whole thing is quite bizarre.  After the Toronto tampering, the word on the street was DD was gone after this year.  So either 1)  Duquette is is unparalleled professional, who genuinely is making the moves he thinks the organization should make, despite not planning on sticking around  2) Duquette is planning on being the Orioles GM past 2018, despite not having an actual contract extension  or 3) someone else (Brady?) is really calling the shots and Duquette won't be here next year.   But if 3), why bother keeping Duquette around? 

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

In retrospect, this whole thing is quite bizarre.  After the Toronto tampering, the word on the street was DD was gone after this year.  So either 1)  Duquette is is unparalleled professional, who genuinely is making the moves he thinks the organization should make, despite not planning on sticking around  2) Duquette is planning on being the Orioles GM past 2018, despite not having an actual contract extension  or 3) someone else (Brady?) is really calling the shots and Duquette won't be here next year.   But if 3), why bother keeping Duquette around? 

I think DD is sticking around.  If not he's going out with a bang and setting this thing up nicely for who comes next.

I think so too...it feels like that was decided a week or so ago when he came out and laid out their plans for the rebuild. 

It almost feels like the Angelos family huddled, Peter gave the sons full control, and they gave Dan their support and the green light to operate without tampering. That's all speculation, but the ease and speed with which it all changed was insane. 

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think DD is sticking around.  If not he's going out with a bang and setting this thing up nicely for who comes next.

Im glad we are moving pieces ... but I dont think we fleeced anyone in a trade. It will take years to truly judge these trades but general sentiment is that we got decent but not above expectation value for Machado and Britton. We didnt get Verdugo or May from the dodgers and didnt get Sheffield from the NYY. Seems like the returns we got, anyone could have negotiated. 

Im happy with what we got .... lol idk why im pissing in your corn flakes right now? sorry man

Three prospects from the Braves for Gausman...

Waiting to see if the Brewers and O's completed the Schoop deal...

Most fun since the Opening Day walk-off or taking 3/4 in New York in April! 

1 minute ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Im glad we are moving pieces ... but I dont think we fleeced anyone in a trade. It will take years to truly judge these trades but general sentiment is that we got decent but not above expectation value for Machado and Britton. We didnt get Verdugo or May from the dodgers and didnt get Sheffield from the NYY. Seems like the returns we got, anyone could have negotiated. 

Im happy with what we got .... lol idk why im pissing in your corn flakes right now? sorry man

We didn't need to fleece anyone. What's of value for us is talent that is controllable for a long time. That's not what teams in the hunt need now. 

I know you know that, but my point is that in these trades no one actually has to win or lose. 

1 minute ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I think we'll know by this time next year how these trades are starting to pan out.  If the pieces we got are having solid to great seasons are moving through the system we will have a good idea of what we can expect.

I assume we are all just refreshing OH thread ... im basically only working right now if a client calls me lol.

edit - Schoop hurts to see leave. That smile. Was hoping we would have extended him but Im glad we avoid a machado part 2. Seems our organization was such a mess (prior to the past month about face) that they couldnt even gt talks going with him. 

Archived