Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Feedback on buying a Memory Foam Mattress Topper

Malapropismic Depository

I've been scouring the net and different forums including this one, on Mattress Toppers, but can't seem to find the answer to my basic question,

which boils down to this :

Is it possible to buy a half-decent Memory Foam Mattress Topper, for less than $60 - for a Full Size bed (give or take a few bucks) ?

I've seen them as low as $30, and up to $200 or more, but everyone who seems to be happy with their Topper, spent about $150 average.

I don't know whether to assume that means anything below that price is garbage. But right now, my budget only allows me up to about $60 for a Full Size.

Other things to consider

- The width : do they need to be more than 1.5 inches to be any good ?

- The material - there's the Polyeurathane, Latex, gel, etc. Polyeurathane seems to be cheapest. But will it do the job ?

- Any particular brands to avoid, or that are recommended ?

- The issue of getting "fitted sheets" to fit over both the Topper and the mattress.

So, I guess my main question is, for that size bed, what would be the least you would spend on a Topper, and expect to get decent quality ?

I don't expect it to last a lifetime. But if it can improve sleep short-term, and not have any down-side, such as being subject to mold growth, etc, then it will be fine by me.

I decided to go a different route for my bedding. 

I had a king size latex bed from Lifekind, but sold it because it's too big for an apartment plus it's heavy. So I kept my queen mattress from guest room, bought a ten inch air mattress, and a four inch mattress topper, poly not foam. Princess and the pea syndrome.

Latex will not outgas like cheap foam topper, which you want to avoid.  When you by sheets, you want the depth of the sheet to be about four inches more than the depth of the mattress and topper. That's so the sheet won't pull out.

For example, your mattress is 8 inches and your topper is 4 inches, so 12 inches for both. So you want a fitted sheet that's at least 16 inches. Most of the really deep sheets are 18 inches deep.

46 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I had a king size latex bed from Lifekind, but sold it because it's too big for an apartment plus it's heavy. So I kept my queen mattress from guest room, bought a ten inch air mattress, and a four inch mattress topper, poly not foam. Princess and the pea syndrome.

Latex will not outgas like cheap foam topper, which you want to avoid.  When you by sheets, you want the depth of the sheet to be about four inches more than the depth of the mattress and topper. That's so the sheet won't pull out.

For example, your mattress is 8 inches and your topper is 4 inches, so 12 inches for both. So you want a fitted sheet that's at least 16 inches. Most of the really deep sheets are 18 inches deep.

So you're using a mattress as your box spring?  I like that...our set is on the floor anyway...with all the gunfire around here, makes it easier to stop, drop, & roll. :ols: 

We need a new mattress desperately, and your idea of air with a topper is the most economical/realistic solution I've found yet that doesn't require a "set" purchase.  Thanks for the idea!

Yes, mattress on the floor acting as a box spring. Along with Princess and the pea syndrome, I hate nose bleed high beds. Besides, a low bed makes the room look bigger. And I want my feet to hit the floor when I roll out. 

I will PM the air mattress I got. I also got a rug gripper so the air mattress doesn't slip around.

9 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Yes, mattress on the floor acting as a box spring. Along with Princess and the pea syndrome, I hate nose bleed high beds. Besides, a low bed makes the room look bigger. And I want my feet to hit the floor when I roll out. 

I will PM the air mattress I got. I also got a rug gripper so the air mattress doesn't slip around.

Best idea I've heard on the subject in years.  Love it.:cheers:

www.mypillow.com

I was a skeptic at first but as promised, this baby delivered the best night sleep I've had in 9 years the very first night right after I used it to smother my wife, the cheating slut. Guys, if you toss and turn all night because your wife is getting railed out by The Godfather of your children, you gotta go to mypillow.com right now.

Take it from me, Sacks 'n Stuff. You're going to love mypillow. A love that won't betray you. The only love that will still be alive in the morning.

24 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

www.mypillow.com

I was a skeptic at first but as promised, this baby delivered the best night sleep I've had in 9 years the very first night right after I used it to smother my wife, the cheating slut. Guys, if you toss and turn all night because your wife is getting railed out by The Godfather of your children, you gotta go to mypillow.com right now.

Take it from me, Sacks 'n Stuff. You're going to love mypillow. A love that won't betray you. The only love that will still be alive in the morning.

Ha. I just saw that thing yesterday in Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and I remember thinking that guy hugging the pillow on the box cover, looked kinda creepy lol

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I've been scouring the net and different forums including this one, on Mattress Toppers, but can't seem to find the answer to my basic question,

which boils down to this :

Is it possible to buy a half-decent Memory Foam Mattress Topper, for less than $60 - for a Full Size bed (give or take a few bucks) ?

I've seen them as low as $30, and up to $200 or more, but everyone who seems to be happy with their Topper, spent about $150 average.

I don't know whether to assume that means anything below that price is garbage. But right now, my budget only allows me up to about $60 for a Full Size.

Other things to consider

- The width : do they need to be more than 1.5 inches to be any good ?

- The material - there's the Polyeurathane, Latex, gel, etc. Polyeurathane seems to be cheapest. But will it do the job ?

- Any particular brands to avoid, or that are recommended ?

- The issue of getting "fitted sheets" to fit over both the Topper and the mattress.

So, I guess my main question is, for that size bed, what would be the least you would spend on a Topper, and expect to get decent quality ?

I don't expect it to last a lifetime. But if it can improve sleep short-term, and not have any down-side, such as being subject to mold growth, etc, then it will be fine by me.

16ish years working in the actual bedding industry here. 

A few points/questions here.

Less then $60? You get what you pay for. 

Full size? The 4/6 has slowly started to become obsolete in favor of the Queen 5/0. Your budget only allows for $60 for a 4/6 topper, you may want to look into financing as an option & just replace the entire bed. Several of the bigger chains have a lending program for for bad credit just be warned, that's not the best deal but if your credit is ****ed it's about the only deal you're gonna get.

When you ask if the width needs to be more then an inch & half I think you actually mean the depth/thickness.

Poly is basic foam, there's nothing special about it. Latex is going to be a bit more bouncey in feel, it will breathe better, & of the 2 types- natural & man made, natural is the better as part of it's process involves being liquidfied then frozen so that impurities sink to the bottom & are easily removed. This gives a consistent feel throughout. Latex is also anti microbial since you were asking about mold growth. 

Fitted sheets- Nearly every set of decent sheets now are made for oversized bedding - meaning they'll fit anything up to 18-22 inches thick. 

50 minutes ago, TK said:

16ish years working in the actual bedding industry here. 

A few points/questions here.

Less then $60? You get what you pay for. 

Yes, believe me, I have tempered expectations for that price range. I was simply looking for something temporary to carry me over until I was ready for something more serious.Those suggestions you made will definitely be useful when I reach that next step. Thanks for answering each question, and sharing your years of wisdom.

This Comforzen by Sinomax is something I got my eyes on, when the time is right.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/comforzen-2-inch-gel-memory-foam-mattress-topper/prod9650164.ip

49 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yes, believe me, I have tempered expectations for that price range. I was simply looking for something temporary to carry me over until I was ready for something more serious.Those suggestions you made will definitely be useful when I reach that next step. Thanks for answering each question, and sharing your years of wisdom.

This Comforzen by Sinomax is something I got my eyes on, when the time is right.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/comforzen-2-inch-gel-memory-foam-mattress-topper/prod9650164.ip

CertiPUR™ certified. That's good. Simmons was actually the first manufacturer to have all the foam in their beds CertiPUR™ certified. Keep in mind though, this one is made in China. 

Now for the reason there's gel in it. Memory foam/NASA foam/space foam... whatever a company is calling it, it's all visco elastic foam. And visco doesn't breathe for ****. It's great for pressure relief, but it's going to hold heat & you're gonna sweat your ass off. Don't even think of using a heating pad on it. Same for an electric blanket unless you use it to pre warm the bed, then turn it off & give it about 10 minutes before getting into it. 

Back to the made in China thing. The quality control there is most likely low. Meaning the gel in this may not have a constant flow into the foam. Spring Air used a "gel swirl" into their foam. Absolutely horrible design idea as it left huge areas of foam without an even gel distribution. 

On 9/16/2017 at 11:27 PM, TK said:

CertiPUR™ certified. That's good. Simmons was actually the first manufacturer to have all the foam in their beds CertiPUR™ certified. Keep in mind though, this one is made in China. 

Now for the reason there's gel in it. Memory foam/NASA foam/space foam... whatever a company is calling it, it's all visco elastic foam. And visco doesn't breathe for ****. It's great for pressure relief, but it's going to hold heat & you're gonna sweat your ass off. Don't even think of using a heating pad on it. Same for an electric blanket unless you use it to pre warm the bed, then turn it off & give it about 10 minutes before getting into it. 

Back to the made in China thing. The quality control there is most likely low. Meaning the gel in this may not have a constant flow into the foam. Spring Air used a "gel swirl" into their foam. Absolutely horrible design idea as it left huge areas of foam without an even gel distribution. 

Yea, someone suggested using a mattress cover over top of the topper, to protect the topper from sweat, other heat, other moisture, and thereby avoiding mold, etc.

If one had the money, what would be the step up from this visco material - something that "breathes" well ?

Physiospring® springs: 914 pocket springs in 160x200 cm
Ventilation channels
Sleeping area Front face Memory foam Physio-Touch® 50 kg
/m3,  height 40 mm. Cushioning 250 gr/m², mixed wool & silk and wadding polyester, 275 gr/m²

Mattress 10 inches thick

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, someone suggested using a mattress cover over top of the topper, to protect the topper from sweat, other heat, other moisture, and thereby avoiding mold, etc.

If one had the money, what would be the step up from this visco material - something that "breathes" well ?

Either man made latex or a natural fiber like wool. That said, it's your budget that's really limiting you, but I'm guessing you're already aware of that. :silly:

Bought several memory foam mattress toppers (and an actual king size memory foam mattress from Sam's,  which I love). 

I think you probably want higher density, which will be a bit more money. I ordered one (for traveling) recently. I think it was 3lb density, but a couple of inches thick. Because it wasn't that dense, it felt like regular foam. Fortunately, I checked the return policy and I could return it. More dense toppers should last longer too. I got one that was a little less thick, but more dense and I liked it much more. 

I think Sam's has a liberal return policy so that's good. Also, it helps to check out the reviews and see what people say about it. 

On 9/16/2017 at 5:34 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

You saved yourself a lot of 'Taken Out Of Context' by adding 'Sheet' all throughout - well done haha

Archived