Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

I hope espn980 is able to track down if we had offers. Did Saints offer the same deal to us as the Packers? 

I feel like trading down would be better. If I look at the draft I don't see Payne beeing drafted before 20s. 

I'm not mad, Payne is fine but trading down...Would have got us a similar type of talent. 

Chargers and Cowboys were both looking at him

Hoping that Kerryon Johnson is the pick. But I am sure they will go after the player I want the least in Royce Freeman. Or they will go with a guard and not pick up a RB at all this draft. After the massive reach in the 1st they may as well draft a tackle. Who knows anymore.

I think the obvious is either RB or Guard and the good news is between Williams, Corbett, Daniels, Hernandez, Chubb, Jones and Guice there are 7 high level players that i doubt go in the 12 picks before 44. 

But im not going to get my hopes up for anyone not named Guice. The logical thing based on off-season dialogue is RB/G here. But it could low-key be a defensive player especially with Landry, Jackson and the safeties all still there. 

Also, wow on the Penny pick last night. As well as the Terrell Edmunds pick by Pittsburgh. Both totally shocked me 

Payne is a damn good pick. Think it's a bit safe for some. Top 15-20 prospect, ranked top ten on the NFL site, pushed down in the draft due to the QB rush.

Great college programme, high character leader, best player on the field in the biggest game of his career, plays all three downs at any spot on the DL. Will fit in perfect in the locker room and on the field.

In our division in particular, improving the number 32 run defense was essential. 

We will be picking up his 5th year option any he will still only be 24/25. 

I predict DB next as we look to dump Norman next year.

@wilco_holland I think teams were much higher on Payne than fans. Payne has huge upside and I think we bought into the 2nd rounder dialogue all along. But I bet we take Payne even if Vea is still there. And I’m fine with that, because him and Allen side by side again is going to be a ton of fun. 

Im happy that at least Guice didn’t go to Philly. But our run defense is gonna need to be on point this year. Payne will help immensely 

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@wilco_holland I think teams were much higher on Payne than fans. Payne has huge upside and I think we bought into the 2nd rounder dialogue all along. But I bet we take Payne even if Vea is still there. And I’m fine with that, because him and Allen side by side again is going to be a ton of fun. 

Im happy that at least Guice didn’t go to Philly. But our run defense is gonna need to be on point this year. Payne will help immensely 

Yeah that's the draft. You can't predict what others do. So if you like a guy, just take him. Don't become Gordon Geko "Greed is good."

Agree that Payne will be fun player. Both he and Allen do a lot of dirty work to make the rest better. 

Curious to see what we do today. If they really like Guice, can they sit and wait? But I could also see some players be available that might interest teams to trade up. Adding a 4th round pick would be nice for the 3th rounder we lost for Smith. 

I would be happy if we stood pat, land either Guice/Chubb if there at #44, hopefully Guice and then acquire a 3rd round pick by giving up a 3rd in 2019 and one of our 5th round picks this year and selecting an OL.

14 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Payne is a damn good pick. Think it's a bit safe for some. Top 15-20 prospect, ranked top ten on the NFL site, pushed down in the draft due to the QB rush.

Great college programme, high character leader, best player on the field in the biggest game of his career, plays all three downs at any spot on the DL. Will fit in perfect in the locker room and on the field.

In our division in particular, improving the number 32 run defense was essential. 

We will be picking up his 5th year option any he will still only be 24/25. 

I predict DB next as we look to dump Norman next year.

for all the people talking about dropping Norman next year and getting his replacement, we can use some of the money we save to sign his replacement as an FA, sinc a guy on the first year of a big deal would be a lot cheaper than a gu nearing the end of it, meaning DB might not be considered a big need

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Also, wow on the Penny pick last night. As well as the Terrell Edmunds pick by Pittsburgh. Both totally shocked me 

That's Seattle for you. They always just take the guy they like the most. It almost always feels like "huuuuuh why now?"

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

So, I think my biggest fear now is Guice, Chubb and Jones are gone, as are Hernandez, Landry, Josh Jackson, and a couple other interior olinemen.  

My other fear is that we (again?) pass on a good player for need.  Passing on someone like Landry, Phillips, Miller, Goedert, Kirk, etc. and winding up with, say Walton (although I am intrigued by him), Brayden Smith, or Freeman.  

Agree, don't sleep on Smith!

I think a bounce back year from Norman is in the cards and we keep him around. Next year would be the year to go CB especially if Moreau isn’t an instant high quality starter. Still not ruling out CB in the draft especially if someone like Jackson is there when we pick, or any of the guys in Round 4/5 with upside could make sense too. 

Jackson can probably place some FS to which might increase his value to us 

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agree, don't sleep on Smith!

Smith is good.  He is worth our 2nd round pick, IMO.  I'd rather have Hernandez but I'd take Smith in a heartbeat.  I think the Skins have their eyes on Guice, then Chubb in the 2nd round.  After that whether it be they pick up a 3rd this year or wait until the 4th they go OG in the 4th (Wyatt Teller) possibly.

27 minutes ago, carex said:

for all the people talking about dropping Norman next year and getting his replacement, we can use some of the money we save to sign his replacement as an FA, sinc a guy on the first year of a big deal would be a lot cheaper than a gu nearing the end of it, meaning DB might not be considered a big need

True, although my guess (and like most things on here it is a guess) is that we are looking to take Josh Jackson next.

If we miss on a RB in round 2 in either Jones or Guice, I think we target John Kelly for RB or even CJ Anderson in FA.

25 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Smith is good.  He is worth our 2nd round pick, IMO.  I'd rather have Hernandez but I'd take Smith in a heartbeat.  I think the Skins have their eyes on Guice, then Chubb in the 2nd round.  After that whether it be they pick up a 3rd this year or wait until the 4th they go OG in the 4th (Wyatt Teller) possibly.

I don't see Hernandez lasting but yes, he would be the best choice. I really think Smith would be a great fit.

This won't go over big but I almost hope for a run on RB's before they pick. It removes that option leaving interior OL or DB as the best players available for needed positions.

The idea of a TE her is very intriguing but I think they need to wait until next year or later to select one.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm surprised I don't know more about the TEs. Who's the closest to the next Witten?

none, lol, There are a couple that ranked as late first early second rounders so there could be a mini run on them early tonight. 

Also pretty stunned about how Rosen and Allen fell. Pretty surprised to see Denver pass on both. Elway could live to regret that. Also, Arizona and Buffalo get their guys and really don’t give up very much in the process, which is counter to the narrative all along. 

Cleveland should have traded 4 for 12/22 and traded back up for Ward but they must have feared Denver taking him. 

24 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We could always double up again on Bama boys and take Ronnie Harrison today. 

Like our combined options at either DB or RB

I like but don't love Harrison.  I think he's a typical Alabama overachieving box safety.  I don't think he's a great runner with long speed or fluid change of direction skills.  He's high cut, and needs to gather himself to swivel.  He's a downhill thumper IMO, but that high cut, lean build makes me worry a little about his play strength at the next level given the way he plays.  And I don't love the amount of missed tackles I see stemming from a desire to land the kill shot.  That **** reminds me of the worst impulses of LaRon Landry.  There's tone-setting and then there is reckless head-hunting.  It's about having patience and situational awareness and getting the job done.

In the right system, I think he could be a good player because he does have that Alabama pedigree where he's going to play hard and physical every snap.  But I think Justin Reid is definitely better than him.  And there are probably a handful of other DBs I'd rank ahead of him that are still on the board.  I don't know that Harrison will be BPA at 44.

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

There’s a lot of talent on the board that i didn’t necessarily expect. Obviously guys slip, but Guice, Landry, Jackson, C. Williams, Hernandez and Daniels are all guys I assumed would go R1. 

There are enough good players left that we'll have the opportunity to get an early starter at 44.  I like the guys on your list in that range except for Daniels.  He's a clean player and a great athlete at the position, but he's a teddy bear IMO.  Just doesn't have the nastiness in his game that I want to see from a Redskins offensive lineman.  I don't want someone who plays the position like a gentleman.

Reid is a true single high safety with speed and study skills. We've missed that, but it's hard to find and incredibly valuable. 

Harrison is a basic box guy who had his coverage back end not be exposed because he had elite FS play. 

I will repeatedly beat this drum. 

It's similar to when Ray Lewis complained that it didn't matter how good he was if the guy in front of him can't do his job. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm surprised I don't know more about the TEs. Who's the closest to the next Witten?

I believe walterfootball compares Dalton Schultz to Witten.  I’m sure it’s a reach, but yeah, I could see him in that mold a bit.  I do like him a lot.  

Also, Nicholson could turn into a pretty special FS for us... but those injuries man.  My guess is they use a 5th or so at the position (again).

@DWinzitRe. Smith - yeah, I have nothing against Smith.  Honestly, I was just looking at a ranking of available players and picked a guard from further down the list.  Essentially, I’d like them to grab a guy with a higher grade rather than focus solely on need (RB/G), especially since  OLB, TE, corner, etc., could possibly become pretty big needs by next year.  

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I believe walterfootball compares Dalton Schultz to Witten.  I’m sure it’s a reach, but yeah, I could see him in that mold a bit.  I do like him a lot.  

He should be around in the back end of the draft also, right? I see us taking our flyers on WR, QB, CB, LB and not TE, but who knows. 

I'm assuming our 2&4 will be either OG, RB or CB. 

Archived