Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CTE found in 99% of studied brains from deceased NFL players

justice98

I don't plan on having children - but if I do, I will do everything I can to make sure they have lots of bats and gloves their lives as they grow. 

And yes, folks know football is risky but the general public is only just now learning how risky it is.  

Here's an example of really REALLY bad reporting.

The study included 111 brains donated by players or their families. In all instances, they suspected CTE due to symptoms such as memory loss, depression, etc. That means the 98% figure confirms the bias of the study. I'm actually surprised it's not 100%.

I do believe CTE is a problem and I think the NFL and Goodell are pieces of **** for trying to deny it, but reporting on this study should lead with a quick disclaimer on the bias. I don' think getting concussed automatically leads to CTE, which is the conclusion I think this headline is misrepresenting. 

I had several concussions in football and hockey, but I don't think I have CTE. I believe there are lots and lots of football players in the same boat as me. The number of concussions might not be the only predictor - it only takes one concussion to do you in: I saw a teammate's entire personality change after one hit, and it was awful.

Until they can accurately assess CTE in living humans there will likely not be an accurate picture of its prevalence in HS, college and pro football players. I hope there is a push to develop better surveillance technologies so that can happen.

In the meantime let's educate and enforce the idea that using your helmet as a weapon and/or targeting someone else's head are unacceptable.

And **** you Roger Goodell!!!

6 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Here's an example of really REALLY bad reporting.

The study included 111 brains donated by players or their families. In all instances, they suspected CTE due to symptoms such as memory loss, depression, etc. That means the 98% figure confirms the bias of the study. I'm actually surprised it's not 100%.

I do believe CTE is a problem and I think the NFL and Goodell are pieces of **** for trying to deny it, but reporting on this study should lead with a quick disclaimer on the bias. I don' think getting concussed automatically leads to CTE, which is the conclusion I think this headline is misrepresenting. 

I had several concussions in football and hockey, but I don't think I have CTE. I believe there are lots and lots of football players in the same boat as me. The number of concussions might not be the only predictor - it only takes one concussion to do you in: I saw a teammate's entire personality change after one hit, and it was awful.

Until they can accurately assess CTE in living humans there will likely not be an accurate picture of its prevalence in HS, college and pro football players. I hope there is a push to develop better surveillance technologies so that can happen.

In the meantime let's educate and enforce the idea that using your helmet as a weapon and/or targeting someone else's head are unacceptable.

And **** you Roger Goodell!!!

Great post.  The other thing that this report and all reports of its kind continuously leave out is the fact that these studies are not compared to the general population.  Meaning, there is no detailed study going on for non-football players to have a legitimate comparison of the factual relationship between football and CTE.  For all we know, there could be a high percentage of CTE in people in non-football or even sports related careers, but we'll never know because the research is biased in the selection of those who are use for the research.

16 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

Great post.  The other thing that this report and all reports of its kind continuously leave out is the fact that these studies are not compared to the general population.  Meaning, there is no detailed study going on for non-football players to have a legitimate comparison of the factual relationship between football and CTE.  For all we know, there could be a high percentage of CTE in people in non-football or even sports related careers, but we'll never know because the research is biased in the selection of those who are use for the research.

Judging from a lot of my personal observations, the incidence of CTE in non-football players is probably pretty high... :rofl89:

Great post. Having that control arm is important. Like I said my hunch is that there is a lot of CTE in athletes, but this kind of nonsense reporting makes everyone want to ban football.

Even if I have a bit of brain damage from football, I'm happy to accept it knowing how much I learned about things like teamwork, accountability, discipline, etc. Can you learn those things elsewhere? Sure. But when I'm faced with a tough situation or a seemingly insurmountable task, I often think about the challenges I faced on the gridiron and it helps me know I can and will conquer it. <cue HTTR here...>

Besides, it's so much fun to watch and I'm addicted to the Redskins, for better or worse!

On 7/27/2017 at 11:31 AM, MassSkinsFan said:

Judging from a lot of my personal observations, the incidence of CTE in non-football players is probably pretty high... :rofl89:

Great post. Having that control arm is important. Like I said my hunch is that there is a lot of CTE in athletes, but this kind of nonsense reporting makes everyone want to ban football.

Even if I have a bit of brain damage from football, I'm happy to accept it knowing how much I learned about things like teamwork, accountability, discipline, etc. Can you learn those things elsewhere? Sure. But when I'm faced with a tough situation or a seemingly insurmountable task, I often think about the challenges I faced on the gridiron and it helps me know I can and will conquer it. <cue HTTR here...>

Besides, it's so much fun to watch and I'm addicted to the Redskins, for better or worse!

You forgot boatloads of women and getting more ass than a toilet seat for guys that play pro.

• 1 month later...

I don't make it a habit to quote this rag, but when I saw the CTE headline (nice pun right?) I immediately wondered just this. Judging from the crap he did while at Florida I'd say yes. In past stories I've read about him, he apparently changed quite a lot when his Dad died. It is possible that CTE contributed to that.

The article says Pop Warner is non-contact. I'm old, but when I played Pop Warner it was full contact (I started at age 10). Has that changed?

Read on:

DAILY MAIL: Was the damage done to Aaron Hernandez before the NFL? 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4908964/Did-Aaron-Hernandez-effects-CTE-NFL.html

Again, with AH, there is a complete lack of a control group and a wide array of variables being overlooked and/or completely ignored.  Severe CTE for a 27 year old?  How many 27 year-olds have had their brains autopsied and examined for CTE?  I would imagine the number is probably astronomically low, especially considering, as I mentioned before, that the over-whelming vast majority of deceased persons never have their brains examined for signs of CTE, which completely invalidates the conclusion that has been reached by basically ONLY studying the brains of former football players.  How are we to know that the CTE AH had wasn't triggered by his gang-banging life style?  Chances are he was in some violent altercations at some point without any protective pads or helmet, or any rules to protect him.  There are so many variables that have not even been explored that make this leap by some in the science community and media completely irresponsible.  Yet, as usual, the masses eat it up and run with it. Funny how no one mentions all of the former football players who have passed and had no signs of CTE either, huh?

Im gonna go ahead and just say that a sport that cannot exist without bashing your head into something, usually repeatedly, is going to be kinda hard to compare to anyone but a boxer/professional wrestler. Just a hunch.

Of course, many people have suffered concussions for a host of reasons, including me, but I've never looked at this as rocket science

The prophet of Islam, Mohamed (pbuh), said sports like wrestling were permissible, but forbade anything that involved blows to the head.  1400 years later, the lleterate guy from the desert appears to have understood what modern people with access to scientific studies are desperately trying to deny.  Give it up.  Football, as a national sport, has been given a death sentence.  

• 4 months later...

CONCUSSION PROTOCOL

AMERICAN FOOTBALL IS a beautiful sport. There’s a tremendous amount of grace that goes into it. For a moment, men can fly; the highlight reels are spectacular.

It can also be horrific — like watching someone get hit by a car.

Since the season started, there have been more than 280 concussions in the NFL. That is an average of 12 concussions per week. Though it claims to take head injuries very seriously, the National Football League holds this data relatively close. It releases yearly statistics, but those numbers are published in aggregate, making it difficult to glean specific insights.

I have been tracking these injuries all season. Using a variety of methods, including reviewing daily injury reports from NFL.com, I have created what I believe is the most complete dataset of individual concussions sustained during the 2017-2018 season.

The resulting film, “Concussion Protocol,” is a visual record of every concussion in the NFL this year.

Click on the link for the video

Archived