Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Not gonna lie though. A lot of that stuff was insanely catchy. Just mumble a bunch of unintelligible stuff, then drop a heavy "Ugggghhhhhh" over a dope track, have Mystikal drop a verse, and it was golden lol

That dude snared me on something serious, but looking back on it, I feel like someone  reflecting on their time spent in a religious cult, fully rehabilitated  :rofl89:

i distinctly remember having my ear close to the speakers and constantly rewinding Mystikal's verse on Make'em Say Ugghhh trying to memorize it in my youth

wasn't surprised that he ended up with commercial success beyond No Limit, but he turned out to be a rapist, can't look at his lines the same.

Mac had the best albums on No Limit 

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I thought it was late '98 too. Maybe there was a delay for the show or whatever.

Lot of anni's are coming up if they haven't already passed (Nelly, Luda, Em, etc)

It’s Dark was early ‘98. Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood was Christmas time.

The hype and reaching of expectations for Flesh of My Flesh is LeBron levels.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Didn’t it come out in 1998?

It did.

I don’t know why he’s calling it the 20th anniversary tour but whatevs.  Probably trying to make extra money off the nostalgia.

Maaan, when Get At Me Dog came out, I was a sophomore in high school and **** was never the same after that.  That was before Ruff Ryders Anthem which was WAY more pop.  I just got my first hoopdee when Get At Me Dog came out.  I would crank that **** everywhere.

Plus all the other good **** on that album.  The intro let’s you know that D isn’t ****ing around.  Stop Being Greedy.  Boom boom boom open the door ATF.  Damien.  Either let me fly...

Man that album changed **** for real.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

It did.

I don’t know why he’s calling it the 20th anniversary tour but whatevs.  Probably trying to make extra money off the nostalgia.

Maaan, when Get At Me Dog came out, I was a sophomore in high school and **** was never the same after that.  That was before Ruff Ryders Anthem which was WAY more pop.  I just got my first hoopdee when Get At Me Dog came out.  I would crank that **** everywhere.

Plus all the other good **** on that album.  The intro let’s you know that D isn’t ****ing around.  Stop Being Greedy.  Boom boom boom open the door ATF.  Damien.  Either let me fly...

Man that album changed **** for real.

Get at Me Dog ended the Bad Boy run, imo.

8 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Get at Me Dog ended the Bad Boy run, imo.

Yeah it definitely signaled a change.  He was on some bad boy stuff though too.  His spot on 24 Hours to Live off of Mase’s album was legit.  That whole song was tight.

The DMX feature on the Belly soundtrack.  What, Grand Finale?  That song was fire.

Dude was just all over the place.  Ruff Ryders (mainly DMX though) took over for a good 2-3 years.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Yeah it definitely signaled a change.  He was on some bad boy stuff though too.  His spot on 24 Hours to Live off of Mase’s album was legit.  That whole song was tight.

The DMX feature on the Belly soundtrack.  What, Grand Finale?  That song was fire.

Dude was just all over the place.  Ruff Ryders (mainly DMX though) took over for a good 2-3 years.

Money, Power, Respect was a classic

But I meant the shiny suits, Jiggy music with the 80s samples. Imo, Get at Me Dog ended that sound.

19 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Money, Power, Respect was a classic

But I meant the shiny suits, Jiggy music with the 80s samples. Imo, Get at Me Dog ended that sound.

Yeah I agree with that.  It was unsustainable once Puff ripped off that Led Zeppelin song for the Godzilla soundtrack.

It does make me remember a happier time though, that cheesy Bad Boy era when I was in high school.  All About the Benjamins was my joint... especially when the beat changes and Biggie drops.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Yeah I agree with that.  It was unsustainable once Puff ripped off that Led Zeppelin song for the Godzilla soundtrack.

It does make me remember a happier time though, that cheesy Bad Boy era when I was in high school.  All About the Benjamins was my joint... especially when the beat changes and Biggie drops.

For sure, I loved the Bad Boy run.

You goto a club or party and people will show you how much they love it when those tunes start blasting.

But the aesthetic changed. JayZ went from this and jumping on the Diddy/Bad Boy/The Hitmen:

Ilfyhn.gif

To this after DMX dropped (can't find a better pic):

jayknock.jpg?w=472

It was just different.

And people were chasing a darker sound.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Haha that’s so true re: Jay Z.  Although he did switch to the Neptunes sound for a while too.  He’s done great with staying relevant to the sound of the times although I don’t know if I’d dig Jay Z over a trap drum.  Who knows though, anything is possible.

JayZ is a chameleon.

He jumps on trends and what's currently hot. After DMX, you saw JayZ rocking bandanas and what not.

That's one thing Drake has over him. Drake brings those new sounds out. (not saying he creates them)

Id go so far as to say that Kanye brings a lot of new sounds out.  He does kinda poach on the up and coming stuff though.  Dude is a basket case but I think he’s got a great ear for music.

People love to hate on the new Kanye but I really like his stuff lately.  His last album was kinda meh to me when it came out, but I think I’ll end up liking it in a year or two.  Same thing happened with Life of Pablo.  A year or two later and I think it’s good.

While on the topic of DMX still, I watched Belly about 2 years ago for the first time since it initially came out. Was blown away by the soundtrack, specifically the track "Grand Finale," featuring Nas, DMX, Meth, and Ja (before he wanted to sing duets with Ashanti and **** 😂)

I've always been a fan of those multicollaboration tracks, and imo, only "Hit Em High " from the Space Jam sounftrack (with B Real, LL, Meth, Coolio and Busts Rhymes) comes close

DMX was definitely that dude from like '98-'03

Edited by Mr. Sinister

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...