Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

2 minutes ago, AldersonRedskinFan said:

Cousins is to Washington what Brees was to San Diego. Let him leave and we will regret it. Just ask Charger fans.

The Chargers had Rivers as a backup plan though, so they didn't have a huge drop off, we would.  If we had a guy like rivers sitting on our bench and cousins was asking for what he is I would be fine with letting him walk.  We don't have that option though, so we have to sign him, and take the good with the bad, and hope he continues to improve.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

However, yesterday he was bad. He was missing receivers, got flustered, and tried for the Superman throw to get him out of dodge. 

If you think about it, the two most critical plays in the last two drives should have been avoided by Cousins using his legs. 

#1 - 6:35 to go...we had just tied the game and then forced a 3-and-out. All the momentum was with us and the Giants seemed like they might be content to continue running the ball into the LOS and getting out of there healthy. We take over at our 31 yard line and Cousins gets to the edge on a play-action bootleg. No one is open and he seemingly could have run for AT LEAST 5-7 yards to start the drive off with something positive. Instead he holds and holds and finally fires a pass that gets deflected out of bounds. No real harm there, but we are behind the chains and end up going 3-and-out ourselves. 

#2 - 1:27 to go...after gaining 32 yards on 3-4 plays and calling our first timeout (which, by the way, I disagreed with since we always leave too much time on the clock) we are set up with a 1st-and-10 at the NY 43. Cousins does a great job stepping up in a messy pocket but should have immediately just run up the middle to get something rather than throwing late over the middle without the ability to fire it. Now, admittedly I didn't see the second level and for all I know he was going to run for no more than 3-4 yards before having to slide. But that right there puts us on the cusp of FG range...

There were a couple games this year when Cousins used his legs very well. It's something he'll have to continue to improve upon (especially if we do start to lose some offensive weapons at the expense of building the defense) if he's going to be able to take the next step for us. 

1 minute ago, RonBurgandy said:

I'll hold the door. People make fun of Eli manning for late game picks but Kirk has single handly lost us 3 game this year. Dallas, Panthers, and Giants. (You can throw in Cincy and Arizona into the debate as well)

Let's not forget that pick 6 in Philly a few weeks ago.

Kirk is AVERAGE! You fans really want to settle for average? 

I don't think you can look at his stats and call him "average" from a talent level. He set a variety of franchise records this season, impressive records. Talent-wise, he has a way above-average skillset. 

The issue with him CONTINUES to be mental. In that department, he is BELOW average. The thing is, he's made some improvements there over the last couple years. He's had some nice fourth quarter wins. But the same old script seems to rear its ugly head when games get to that next level where everything is on the line. He recovered last year at Philly, but just look at that terrible play before the half where he inexplicably took the knee and cost the team points. That was a completely "I'm freaking out" kind of moment. Something I've never seen from any QB ever.

I don't envy SM this offseason and the decisions he'll have to make. No matter what he chooses, there will be many detractors. But Kirk and the whole mental thing ... I just don't know how that gets fixed at this point. I'd hoped it was, but yesterday was TOTAL regression. Not just a little step back, but TOTAL regression, and that really scares me. The guy also has a personality that's not going to get anyone really fired up, let's be honest. 

I don't know what to do, I really don't. 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

And can we be honest for one second?

yes he's the best QB since Rypien. But goddamn guys, that's the lowest bar ever to clear. 

That is not a good reason to invest such s large number into him 

like DC9 said, he needs to realize that he's a piece and not THE piece and his demands should reflect it 

I agree that he isn't a top-5 guy. Having said that, the way QB contracts work in the NFL is that the most recent QB to get paid becomes the highest paid guy. If Cousins were to sign for $25M per year this off-season, three years from now he would probably be somewhere in the 4-7 range of highest paid players at the position. I could live with that. 

I care more about the cap number...if signing him doesn't prevent us from building a team, then get it done and move on. He's not perfect, but he's a guy you can grow and win with. He's done what he's done with 2 years of starting under his belt. I don't think Peyton Manning won a playoff game until his fifth season starting for the Colts. Granted, he started as a rookie so it's not completely fair. But, the point is that despite great stats even one of the all-time greats had to learn how to win big games. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan1523 said:

The Chargers had Rivers as a backup plan though, so they didn't have a huge drop off, we would.  If we had a guy like rivers sitting on our bench and cousins was asking for what he is I would be fine with letting him walk.  We don't have that option though, so we have to sign him, and take the good with the bad, and hope he continues to improve.

Brees progressed every year into a QB who can lead and carry a team. I see Cousins as a QB who can be even better than the last 2 seasons which is insane. He has team passing records and still has room to improve. 

I know the situation is different but I just wouldnt let a QB walk with his ability bc history usually says it's a mistake.

9 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

What are charger fans regretting? The Saints suck just as bad as the Chargers and Rivers is elite. They didn't miss Brees at all. But you know, can't find another QB and all that jazz. 

Probably a Lombardi Trophy.

Only fools think KC should take less money because they think he is a piece to the puzzle.  This is their life and this contract might be the only one he gets.  He needs to ask for the maximum that he can get.  There are tons of other teams that will pay him.  Only reedskins fans would **** about 2 winning seasons with a trash roster.  

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Only fools think KC should take less money because they think he is a piece to the puzzle.  This is their life and this contract might be the only one he gets.  He needs to ask for the maximum that he can get.  There are tons of other teams that will pay him.  Only reedskins fans would **** about 2 winning seasons with a trash roster.  

Nobody is saying he should take less money. What we're questioning is whether the team should pay him? Why is this so hard to understand? 

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I don't disagree about the main point here. Football players deserve to be paid. 

But Kirk is a piece. He's not gonna win on his own. If his contract prevents us from adding just one more impact player, that is a problem.

while it is better than the past, 8-9 wins a year is not gonna cut it with that salary 

Just now, Taylor703 said:

Nobody is saying he should take less money. What we're questioning is whether the team should pay him? Why is this so hard to understand? 

What is your back-up plan?? Money is not an issue.  Do you understand supply and demand? He is the starter for the next 3 years at least until we draft another QB.  75M and 10 draft picks this offseason.  We will be alright

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Be real with yourself and tell me this roster is trash compared to 2001 - 2015

I'm not sure anyone truly expects him to take less money.  At the end of his career I'd imagine he'd be a little upset with himself if he takes the biggest payday, only to end up in a **** organization that can't put a team around him.  When clearly he is a guy that needs a really good team around him to succeed.

Im not sure it's a given that he returns at this point because his sound bites are that of a man who wants $$$ above all.  It seems as if $$$ = respect to him.  I'm not sure Scott has that kind of respect for him.

Just now, Llevron said:

Be real with yourself and tell me this roster is trash compared to 2001 - 2015

The defense is terrible. You do realize it was a goal of Gruden and SM to fix the offense first and get the QB position set vs fixing a defense.  This is an era of offense. Some people dont realize you can just cut everyone in 1 offseason.  This is the offseason to watch to fix this team. The giants did it last season spending 200M on their defense.

18 minutes ago, AldersonRedskinFan said:

Brees progressed every year into a QB who can lead and carry a team. I see Cousins as a QB who can be even better than the last 2 seasons which is insane. He has team passing records and still has room to improve. 

I know the situation is different but I just wouldnt let a QB walk with his ability bc history usually says it's a mistake.

Probably a Lombardi Trophy.

You mean the super bowl that the league basically force fed to New Orleans? 

7 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

What is your back-up plan?? Money is not an issue.  Do you understand supply and demand? He is the starter for the next 3 years at least until we draft another QB.  75M and 10 draft picks this offseason.  We will be alright

Why is it that other teams can find QBs but we can't? This fanbase has such a loser mentality, it's embarrassing. So **** it, let's pay this guy record money because he throws for a bunch of yards and chokes in big games. What could possibly go wrong? 

How would Kirk do with a top 5-7 defense and a real running game?  I suspect he'd be superior to guys like Flacco/Ryan and would be a threat to win the Super Bowl every year.  

You probably need to upgrade the HC in order to see this scenario.  

Im resigning Kirk to a deal that I can get out of after 3-4 years and beginning my HC search now...cause I know Gruden ain't the guy and I know I'm gonna have to fire him in January 2018.

1 minute ago, Taylor703 said:

Why is it that other teams can find QBs but we can't? This fanbase has such a loser mentality, it's embarrassing. So **** it, let's pay this guy record money because he throws for a bunch of yards and chokes in big games. What could possibly go wrong? 

We have found a QB and you want to get rid of him is the problem.  Look at Eli's passer rating the last 5 games.  He is a SB winner.  QBs have **** games, especially with no run game and no defense.

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

How would Kirk do with a top 5-7 defense and a real running game?  I suspect he'd be superior to guys like Flacco/Ryan and would be a threat to win the Super Bowl every year.  

You probably need to upgrade the HC in order to see this scenario.  

Im resigning Kirk to a deal that I can get out of after 3-4 years and beginning my HC search now...cause I know Gruden ain't the guy and I know I'm gonna have to fire him in January 2018.

To be fair, a lot of QBs would play well in those conditions 

but the odds of getting to that point aren't high

Archived