Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stay aggressive, he who dares wins!

Suffolk_Skins

I hope yesterday doesn't make Gruden timid moving forwards because of some poor exercution. Love the shots we were taking on 3rd and short all day yesterday. Our D weren't stopping Dallas, I really don't hate that call from Gruden on the onside kick. I re-watched it, we had the look, Hopkins kicked that thing about 23 yards instead of 10-15. After our first half failures we needed an extra pocession to win that game and Dallas weren't giving us one.

My point being we must stick with this strategy down the stretch to make the playoffs. It will pay off in the long run. If we start getting conservative with all the weapons we have it will cost us. Games have been tight all season, we need to keep the foot on the gas and be brave when it's needed.

Not worried at all about our offense becoming less dynamic, but let's face it, the onside kicks were called because we had zero confidence in the D. I hate that. I know the league is geared to the offense, but when you can't rely on the D, games essentially become coin flips, which you'll need to win several of against good teams in the paloffs.

Not a prob with the offense. They will hit a few bumps in the road here and there but overall this offense is improving by leaps and bounds.

The defense however is different. There is no 'aggressive' in it; they are playing 100% reactionary. They're essentially looking to stop any further progression by an offense AFTER the ball is in their hands. But they still fail at that a lot.

I want to see the CBs in the WRs faces, and give them a BODY check, not hands to the face, but a body check to slow them down, stall their timing, forcing a QB to hold the ball longer, and maybe someone on the d-line will wake up and see an opening.

This is crunch time; we need to win these games, and Barry and his so-called defense has to start doing something.  Then fire Barry's ass after the season is over and get a competent DC in here.

I agree. I would rather die by the sword on defense.

One of the things that aggravates me is that when we rush four we occassionally do get pressure. Someone slips through, but because there's only one guy... if the QB eludes him it's fairly easy for him to reset and make a big play. The three and four man rushes very rarely win out. Pressure results in no flustered throws and too often results in a successful QB run or completion. 

Our strength is supposed to be coverage. Take risks there and send more after the QB.

4 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

Cut Hopkins? That is a drastic Snyder/Vinny reaction and short sighted IMO. 

Really?  That was one of the worst kicking performances I've ever seen.  2 missed FGs & the first onside kick was so awful.  Easily would have recovered if he didn't kick it way too hard.  Then the 2nd onside kick.  People don't remember the Lions game?  The shank vs the Bengals?? My god!

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Not worried at all about our offense becoming less dynamic, but let's face it, the onside kicks were called because we had zero confidence in the D. I hate that. I know the league is geared to the offense, but when you can't rely on the D, games essentially become coin flips, which you'll need to win several of against good teams in the paloffs.

We were failing on 3rd and short sometimes earlier in the year though. A tone against Baltimore if I recall. I like we are going deep

19 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

This is crunch time; we need to win these games, and Barry and his so-called defense has to start doing something.  Then fire Barry's ass after the season is over and get a competent DC in here.

Here's the deal. Our D is average at best he doesn't have the talent apart from a few players to build a good one, not this year anyway. They just need to keep games interesting and let the offense do its thing. He's sured them up nicely recently including multiple second half shutouts. That's just the football team we are right now I am afraid. If the offense can figure out the redzone we can beat really good teams even with a subpar D. If they can't figure it out we will be constant close games. 

Yeah, I am sure Colt McCoy can "step" up if we do. No biggie. People remember the negative and not the positive. 999 great plates and people remember the missed kick. I don't think that it's anything that can't be easily corrected and that cutting him would be a real error on our part. David Akers ring a bell? 

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You can't cut someone unless you have someone to replace them with that's better.  But if Hopkins keeps it up that won't be hard to do.

Doesn't help we iced our own kicker yesterday knocked that first one straight through but we called time out as it lined up. Same as London practice swing was good then pulls the next attempt.

Can't blame him on the second one. Poor first onside kick though.

2 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Doesn't help we iced our own kicker yesterday knocked that first one straight through but we called time out as it lined up. Same as London practice swing was good then pulls the next attempt.

Can't blame him on the second one. Poor first onside kick though.

What does Hopkins do on the first kick?  He kicks it after the TO was called.  Never kick it after the TO is called!  He's an idiot & a bad kicker who has shanked multiple pressure kicks this season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/09/14/kai-forbaths-release-is-latest-reminder-that-no-team-goes-through-kickers-like-the-redskins/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/10/20/one-washington-job-that-wont-turn-over-soon-redskins-place-kicker/&ved=0ahUKEwjEwoSKrcTQAhUHqFQKHftHC9IQFgg4MAI&usg=AFQjCNErHOfgcczzUmvrRF3x0TnCi6H6xg&sig2=GBthNemTDWzzIGIVvUgj2A

Please stop the cut the kicker mantra...you want to cut him?

1. Determine the root issue and correct, if feasible.

2. Decide whether a new kicker is in order, or not.

3. If so? Bring in competition and see who is available and is actually better...than decide from there.

We have lacked stability at that position for a long time. If we have learned anything here? You don't just cut the damn kicker because he's had a couple of missed kicks.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/career-kicking.htm

Sort that column by latest year and look at how many damn kickers we have churned through 

3 hours ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

I hope yesterday doesn't make Gruden timid moving forwards because of some poor exercution. Love the shots we were taking on 3rd and short all day yesterday. Our D weren't stopping Dallas, I really don't hate that call from Gruden on the onside kick. I re-watched it, we had the look, Hopkins kicked that thing about 23 yards instead of 10-15. After our first half failures we needed an extra pocession to win that game and Dallas weren't giving us one.

My point being we must stick with this strategy down the stretch to make the playoffs. It will pay off in the long run. If we start getting conservative with all the weapons we have it will cost us. Games have been tight all season, we need to keep the foot on the gas and be brave when it's needed.

The aggression comment should be directed to the Defense.   Gruden needs to go to Situational Football coaching school.  

1 minute ago, RedBeast said:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/09/14/kai-forbaths-release-is-latest-reminder-that-no-team-goes-through-kickers-like-the-redskins/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/10/20/one-washington-job-that-wont-turn-over-soon-redskins-place-kicker/&ved=0ahUKEwjEwoSKrcTQAhUHqFQKHftHC9IQFgg4MAI&usg=AFQjCNErHOfgcczzUmvrRF3x0TnCi6H6xg&sig2=GBthNemTDWzzIGIVvUgj2A

Please stop the cut the kicker mantra...you want to cut him?

1. Determine the root issue and correct, if feasible.

2. Decide whether a new kicker is in order, or not.

3. If so? Bring in competition and see who is available and is actually better...than decide from there.

We have lacked stability at that position for a long time. If we have learned anything here? You don't just cut the damn kicker because he's had a couple of missed kicks.

Graham Gano and Shaun Suisham come to mind. Cut them and let them have great careers (and Super Bowl appearances) elsewhere while we then go through 7 new kickers over the next 4 years. 

17 minutes ago, -JB- said:

What does Hopkins do on the first kick?  He kicks it after the TO was called.  Never kick it after the TO is called!  He's an idiot & a bad kicker who has shanked multiple pressure kicks this season.

We have one of the best kickers in the league.  We did not lose because of the kicker!

1 minute ago, WilberMarshall said:

We have one of the best kickers in the league.  We did not lose because of the kicker!

Probably in the top 10. Until a few weeks ago, I'd say top 5. Kicker is not the problem here. He is starting to be, but he's not on the Blair Walsh level yet! lol. If the D does their job, these kicks aren't even important anymore. FIX THE DEFENSE and this team is elite! 

41 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

What!!? Hopkins has made 80% of his kicks this year.  That's good for 21st among all teams.  He's not even good!  Let alone one of the best !  His long this season is 50 , good for 23rd .  I'm just stating facts.

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

What!!? Hopkins has made 80% of his kicks this year.  That's good for 21st among all teams.  He's not even good!  Let alone one of the best !  His long this season is 50 , good for 23rd .  I'm just stating facts.

Please provide some righteous insight into potential replacements, or anything, besides "cut him" 

Look I like Hopkins, forget about the big miss yesterday and vs Detroit.  If he hits that kick vs Cincy we are a game and a 1/2 up in the wildcard standings.

Wins are so difficult and he choked away a very important win in a game our team battled to come back from when we were down by 2 possessions.

I would make some calls and keep some people on standby just in case.

9 hours ago, -JB- said:

Really?  That was one of the worst kicking performances I've ever seen.  2 missed FGs & the first onside kick was so awful.  Easily would have recovered if he didn't kick it way too hard.  Then the 2nd onside kick.  People don't remember the Lions game?  The shank vs the Bengals?? My god!

so basically you're upset that he hasn't made absolutely everything.  and that the super low percentage onside kick play isn't being executed perfectly.

yea you point out a few misses.  kickers have a few misses.  shrug

9 hours ago, -JB- said:

Never kick it after the TO is called!  

you have that completely backwards.  I'm starting to think you're joking.

32 minutes ago, Dirt said:

so basically you're upset that he hasn't made absolutely everything.  and that the super low percentage onside kick play isn't being executed perfectly.

yea you point out a few misses.  kickers have a few misses.  shrug

you have that completely backwards.  I'm starting to think you're joking.

When the team calls the TO you shouldn't kick it is what I'm saying. 

Archived