Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stay aggressive, he who dares wins!

Suffolk_Skins

On 11/26/2016 at 11:23 AM, -JB- said:

How many kickers have the Redskins cut since Akers that have gone elsewhere to do absolutely nothing.  I fail to see your logic.

The better question might be how many have had relatively successful careers after being cut by the 'Skins.  Off the top of my head, (Akers) Suisham, Gano, Novak, and now Kai.  That's kind of a lot when considering only 9 teams have had more than 10 kickers since 1995, and the Browns/Patriots have each had just 5 in those 21 years.

Some have had a disdain for old school conservative play calling in recent years. Some even called it coaching scared. I think what we see weekly now is a vindication to some;  suddenly 4th and 1 is not a feared down because of field position. Milking the clock via the run is no longer a mandate on closing out games. Prevent is more and more a thing of the past.

Hats off to Arizona for their 4th and 1 deep inside their fiddy, deep ball jugular TD, and blowing up our OL in our final drive. I think those plays were the difference in the game.

You'd think it was an aggressive call to elect to receive the ball. I never thought it would be a thing but hope we lose every coin toss since it's apparently imperative to Jay to emulate Belly and trot out his beleaguered D to start games. And no, we are not polished enough to make sure we eek out the final possession at the end of the half to get the ball 2 times in a row.

5 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Some have had a disdain for old school conservative play calling in recent years. Some even called it coaching scared. I think what we see weekly now is a vindication to some;  suddenly 4th and 1 is not a feared down because of field position. Milking the clock via the run is no longer a mandate on closing out games. Prevent is more and more a thing of the past.

Hats off to Arizona for their 4th and 1 deep inside their fiddy, deep ball jugular TD, and blowing up our OL in our final drive. I think those plays were the difference in the game.

You'd think it was an aggressive call to elect to receive the ball. I never thought it would be a thing but hope we lose every coin toss since it's apparently imperative to Jay to emulate Belly and trot out his beleaguered D to start games. And no, we are not polished enough to make sure we eek out the final possession at the end of the half to get the ball 2 times in a row.

I just got back demon Arizona. Is there an argument for going for it on 4th instead of trying long field goal? What was it there 4th and what? I think the difference in the game was the fumble when we went 3 points up and were driving, thought we might take control there. The D just can't get off the field on third down and that might be the most frustrating thing in football to watch.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:39 PM, skinny21 said:

The better question might be how many have had relatively successful careers after being cut by the 'Skins.  Off the top of my head, (Akers) Suisham, Gano, Novak, and now Kai.  That's kind of a lot when considering only 9 teams have had more than 10 kickers since 1995, and the Browns/Patriots have each had just 5 in those 21 years.

Really happy Hopkins had such a solid day yesterday. Each kick was drilled down the middle with authority. He had some tough breaks recently with the long glare FG attempt and the Morgan Moses icing him attempt. Besides that nonsense, he's been great and I'm glad that all who were calling for his head after the cowboys game can rest well.

8 hours ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

The D just can't get off the field on third down and that might be the most frustrating thing in football to watch.

Agreed. Our D seems to be pretty good at forcing opponents to take multiple plays to get 1sts, but then when it comes to 3rd or 4th down, they have a hard time finishing the deal. I'd be curious to know if there are any stats for 1st & 2nd down D relative to later down D.

We need to get very aggressive on D. In some ways, a couple more big (positive) plays would make a couple more big (negative) plays OK in my book. Giving this offense some momentum could be devastating to our opponents. In addition, I'd almost rather a team score on 4 plays rather than keeping the ball for 7-8 minutes and just eventually scoring anyway. 

I'll take Cousins, Jackson, Garcon, Crowder, Thompson, Kelley, Reed, and Davis in a shootout. 

We often hear an offense has to slow play, to let a defense rest. What about the D being more aggressive, and trying to get off the field sooner, or at absolute worst, give up a quick TD and stay rested?  It cannot be a complete failure every time to try and stuff an opponent aggressively on 3 downs every now and then. 

For at minimum, it will allow the offense to be as aggressive as it wants, without worrying about their poor tired defense. 

Archived