Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heroes and Goats

Burgold

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I needed to watch a replay of it today to truly enjoy it.

<Ball punch>

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

The precision of that punch was absolutely ridiculous. He hit a small moving target going past him at full speed. Bruce Lee be like    (O_o)

that gif isn't showing up behind my work firewall.... and i sure as **** am not going to try to google it here, either  :-/

16 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

I credit anyone who gets beat and then doesn't give up on the play....Whitner also made some plays last few weeks, stout tackler most cases. Guy got beat, didn't lay there shows me character. 

Any player who gets beat and then doesn't get up and chase is in danger of being benched or cut.    Seriously it's like praising a waiter for getting all the orders wrong, then correcting the mistake resulting in a dinner arrivng 30 minutes after being orderd.  What he did is not worthy of praise, it's expected behavior.

18 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Any player who gets beat and then doesn't get up and chase is in danger of being benched or cut.    Seriously it's like praising a waiter for getting all the orders wrong, then correcting the mistake resulting in a dinner arrivng 30 minutes after being orderd.  What he did is not worthy of praise, it's expected behavior.

Mind you,  that happens less  often than you think. People rarely put that kind of work and just give up. Especially when  they know you don't have a better back up option available.

30 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I see your point, but I think he's trying to establish that character "no quit" guys don't give up on a play. Even good players get burnt and beat. The difference is whether or not they then just flounder on the ground afterwards (insert Haynesworth GIF here if needed.)

17 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

I credit anyone who gets beat and then doesn't give up on the play....

As do I...you absolutely need players like that all the time, every game.

Remember that long punt return by Crowder against the Giants?...First tackler he juked out of his jockstrap, sent him flying out of bounds. Embarrased the mf'er like crazy.

That same embarrassed mf'er was the one who got up, ran 50 yards downfield, and tackled Crowder on the other side of the field. Saved a TD.

28 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I see your point, but I think he's trying to establish that character "no quit" guys don't give up on a play. Even good players get burnt and beat. The difference is whether or not they then just flounder on the ground afterwards (insert Haynesworth GIF here if needed.)

Remember this?

Yeah, I'm sure I remember Shanahan benching Hall after this play. Yep. (not disagreeing with you, btw lol)

20 hours ago, AzSkinsFan63 said:

All I want for Christmas is a top ten defense.

We don't even need one. Add a few pieces this offseason and come in respectably around middle of the pack and with our offense, that should be enough. 

21 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Remember that long punt return by Crowder against the Giants?...First tackler he juked out of his jockstrap, sent him flying out of bounds. Embarrased the mf'er like crazy.

That same embarrassed mf'er was the one who got up, ran 50 yards downfield, and tackled Crowder on the other side of the field. Saved a TD.

I feel like Breeland made a similar hustle play last year to save a big TD against Dallas or buffalo. Not sure which. 

58 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

And that is my point, most every players gets up and chases.  It shouldn't be praised, it's the norm.    Haynesworth was obviously the exception which is why it stood out so much

Thanks OP for starting a post game thread of sorts. We get at most ~10 victories a year, in a great year,  We need a place to beat our chests post game; to talk about our glorious victory, or lumps we took -  to carry us the other 42 weeks of the year. 

Hero: The front 7 largely in contain mode of Rodgers all night. Cravens at first, who gave way to I don't know, but Barry was not going to let Rodgers scramble his way to victory.  Gibbs used to do that, mirror a mobile QB, and take their legs out of the game. I never saw a team do that before Gibbs, but I am not saying it didn't happen.  Great coverage, almost sacked flushed QB.... QB's scrambling to victory are a tough pill to swallow. FB Bates!

Goats:  0. Whitner was in a tough matchup, it didn't matter that Cook was unemployed, he still had his wheels. And Barry did Whits no favors leaving him on an island, and we survived. Maybe there is a reason Whitner was on him, and not the Duke. TEs have KILLED us in the past, so Sunday night was nothing new to me. Look at what Reed does to the most mobile of DBs. Rodgers is going to get his 300+3 no matter what safety we have, and TEs are often a QBs BFF. Whitner led with 10 tackles FWIW.

Randoms: Clay Mathews was a shell of his former self. Ty was fyne but Mathews wasn't Mathews, who used to move around and wreak havoc from both sides of the OL.  CT hasn't gotten as many touches of late - moar FBy touches are a priority I guess. Please, mods block attachments named dancingdan.gif. The band? Their hands were frozen and lips stuck on the reeds.

Courtesy BOX

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I feel like Breeland made a similar hustle play last year to save a big TD against Dallas or buffalo. Not sure which. 

It was against the Tampa Bay Bucs. The "You like that!" game. He ran down the Bucs player, and kept him from scoring a TD. If he hadn't done that, the Redskins lose that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC5mVGkL6ig

Go to about the 2:20 mark.

30 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Gee, not even a lil love for my guy Martrell running the tip drill at the end to seal it? Still have high hopes for him.

No, none. Who praises the cherry on top of the sundae! 

(Pretty cool to see everyone contributing. That play wasn't the nail in the coffin. Kelley's big run was that, but it was the first shovelful of dirt.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

No, none. Who praises the cherry on top of the sundae! 

(Pretty cool to see everyone contributing. That play wasn't the nail in the coffin. Kelley's big run was that, but it was the first shovelful of dirt.

Yeah but whats the sundae w/o the damn cherry? C'mon, give him a lil bit, just a little..................:rofl89:

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

And that is my point, most every players gets up and chases.  It shouldn't be praised, it's the norm.    Haynesworth was obviously the exception which is why it stood out so much

I would love to think like you that it should be the norm, and that most of the times people gets up and chase and do their job. Because, I you said it, they're just doing their job, that is absolutely correct.

But that's definately not the case IRL. Most people, once beaten, don't give a **** anymore and let others go away with it, not even trying to.

See here:

(The one from Califan is also a great example of players not caring that much and giving up on the play rather quickly).

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

It was against the Tampa Bay Bucs. The "You like that!" game. He ran down the Bucs player, and kept him from scoring a TD. If he hadn't done that, the Redskins lose that game.

Thank you, I knew that was the TB game, but couldn't find the play...

10 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC5mVGkL6ig

Go to about the 2:20 mark.

Yes that was it. Was awesome seeing him hustle back like that to save the TD when most would have given up and considered it pointless.

A few effort plays like that here and there and you gain the respect of your team for a long time and as the video shows can change the outcome of the game. Sets an example for others too

19 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I would love to think like you that it should be the norm, and that most of the times people gets up and chase and do their job. Because, I you said it, they're just doing their job, that is absolutely correct.

But that's definately not the case IRL. Most people, once beaten, don't give a **** anymore and let others go away with it, not even trying to.

See here:

(The one from Califan is also a great example of players not caring that much and giving up on the play rather quickly).

Thank you, I knew that was the TB game, but couldn't find the play...

I watched the clip twice and fail to see your point.  I saw a sack and every Panther who was aware that there was a loose ball went after it.  If you are referring to #74 he thought the play was over, then immediately went after it when he saw the loose ball.  Of course there are clips of guys giving up but for every one you can find I could pull 100 where they don't.

I'm sorry, I still think that praising a guy for missing a tackle causing a huge play and then making the tackle 30 yards later is nonsense.

40 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm sorry, I still think that praising a guy for missing a tackle causing a huge play and then making the tackle 30 yards later is nonsense.

Kind of the definition of hustle. You can praise him for never saying "die."

51 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I watched the clip twice and fail to see your point.  I saw a sack and every Panther who was aware that there was a loose ball went after it.  If you are referring to #74 he thought the play was over, then immediately went after it when he saw the loose ball.  Of course there are clips of guys giving up but for every one you can find I could pull 100 where they don't.

Watch the clip again, keep an eye on the guy who threw a tantrum after the game.

18 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Watch the clip again, keep an eye on the guy who threw a tantrum after the game.

Ah yes, remember it well.  He was roundly criticized.  Why?  Because it stood out because it is rare, like Haynesworth.  Throwing out the handful of rare examples proves nothing.  The norm is to hustle, it's at the top of the list under Job Description.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Ah yes, remember it well.  He was roundly criticized.  Why?  Because it stood out because it is rare, like Haynesworth.  Throwing out the handful of rare examples proves nothing.  The norm is to hustle, it's at the top of the list under Job Description.

No he was criticized, because it's the Superbowl, they're behind the Broncos by 6 points, there's 4 minutes left in the 4th Q, and giving up the fumble is basically throwing the game away.

I'll say it again, I believe, in an ideal world where people matters and do care about what they're doing, this should not be something to praise, but the norm. But reality isn't. You can find some never give up moments, maybe lots of them through the last ten years. But if you put this number into perspective of the numbers of plays, numbers of games played, then that % is quite low in fact.

Take a closer look when there's a big play next time, by a WR on a huge reception. Most of the time you see a few guys behind him that are mostly in cruising mode, not trying to give that extra thing to try to prevent the TD. But sometimes, you'll see a guy coming from far, far away makes it to the WR and gets him right before the TD. What were the others doing? At times, you believe Rich Eisen could run next to them without looking goofy.

Want another example? It's gonna take us a loooooong time ago. Back in 1993, the 21st of January for Superbowl XXVII!

Take a look:

Sure our Cowboys fan that lurk around here sometime will find this as good ol' memory. I'm always laughing at that, just like the butt fumble.

You know the best part in this?

The Cowboys are leading 52-17. There's 5 minutes left in the 4th Q and the Bills are on 4th and 5 with freakin' Frank Reich at the helm. And you've got Leon Lett making a fumble recovery on Dallas' 35 yards to race it to the endzone... Or not, as Dom Beebe camed from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind him to force a fumble on the 1 yard line.

You can see that as a guy just doing it's job. But then, where's the rest of the team? That's big Leon, 6ft 6 290 pds or something... Some on that Bills team were fast as well, probably not as Beebs, but they're nowhere to be found. Only the C seems to give it a try but have some guys covering Leon.

On a side note. Does everyone know / remember what was the ruling on the field for this play?

Reich sacked (Jeffcoat), loss of 4, fumbled, Lett recovered for Dallas at
D 35, Lett 64 return (Beebe), fumbled, ball went out of end zone, touchback for Buffalo.

Sounds familiar?

Archived