Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

1 hour ago, LexLukas said:

I'm really starting to think we have to go RB with the 17th pick. Dalvin Cook = Geo Bernard? Might be the piece Gruden thinks he's missing.

Dalvin Cook >>>>>>>>>Giovanni Bernard.

Dear baby Jesus with your baby Einstein developmental books please let him fall to us.

After that I'm starting to jump on the Solomon Thomas bandwagon. I'd like to see us pair him up with Carlos Watkins.

1 hour ago, jsharrin55 said:

Pick 17 as mentioned and :

49, 81, 103 (Jets), 113, 138 (NO), 145, 177, 181 (Houston - depends on playoff outcome), and 209.  

I don't see anything on Carrier trade, so 177 or 181 could be gone.  None of this factors in comp picks.

The first 3 rounds are accurate, but have to wait till the compensatory picks come out before seeing what picks we have round 4-7

2 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

Pick 17 as mentioned and :

49, 81, 103 (Jets), 113, 138 (NO), 145, 177, 181 (Houston - depends on playoff outcome), and 209.  

I don't see anything on Carrier trade, so 177 or 181 could be gone.  None of this factors in comp picks.

'Scot told me (about 7 weeks ago) that depending on playing time the 5th rounder for Carrier would likely return a 7th, so a 5th for a 7th.  But i don't know if Carrier played too much where they ultimately lost the 7th.

Matt Miller

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2683888-2017-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-final-regular-season-projections/page/18

The Pick: DL Montravius Adams, Auburn

The most Scot McCloughan player in the 2017 draft class—other than Jamal Adams, and he ain't falling to No. 17 overall—is Montravius Adams.

Montravius Adams is the most underrated defender in this draft class. He's a big, strong, superathletic defensive lineman with the tools to play tackle or defensive end depending on the defense you're running.

Playing in an Auburn scheme that asks him to move around the line and to penetrate the offensive line, Adams has been productive and consistently improving throughout the 2016 season.

After adding wide receiver Josh Doctson in the first round last year, Washington is poised to go defense-heavy in 2017 to build around Kirk Cousins and the offense.

PFF from today

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-biggest-offseason-question-for-every-non-playoff-team/?utm_content=buffer44efb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

What position does GM Scot McCloughan address on defense?

The Redskins are a year removed from a playoff appearance, and were a win away this season, with Kirk Cousins answering questions of whether he could become a franchise quarterback. The defense let the team down, with the interior defensive line and defensive backs being the weak spots. Outside of DI Chris Baker (82.4)—slated to be an unrestricted free agent, and a player the team needs to resign—the D-line’s interior doesn’t have a disruptive player, with Ziggy Hood, Ricky Jean-Francois, and Cullen Jenkins getting pushed around too much against some of the best offensive lines that reside in the NFC East.

CB Josh Norman was signed to a big-money deal in the offseason after being released from the Carolina Panthers, and played well enough, but was the only cornerback with even an above-average coverage grade. As luck would have it for the Redskins, their two biggest needs are arguably the deepest positions in this draft class.

Depending on how the draft shakes out and who all declares, some intriguing D-line prospects that could fall to the Redskins at No. 17 are Michigan State’s Malik McDowell and Stanford’s Solomon Thomas. Both graded very well the past two seasons in college, and would fit Washington’s 3-4 scheme. Potential CB prospects include Iowa’s Desmond King and Washington’s Sidney Jones, as both possess impressive size and measurables, with the excellent film to back up their high-profile status.

what does the forum think about this: 

Sua Cravens is clearly being moved to SS in 2017 (or at least that's what we are all being told). Assuming that's true, do you think it's because someone doesn't see him excelling at LB or is it that we have a need at SS and 2017 is more a LB class than SS?

Are the tea leaves already suggesting LB early in draft or FA?

I think it was evident to the staff Cravens is much too small to play ILB. He was making plays but also getting banged around, he wouldn't last very long in the league there. The move to S is definitely the right call.

In terms of the draft, I think S is deeper than ILB. I think we go DL/LB in the first two rounds 

this is good.

1. Josh Norris Retweeted Malik Hooker

Malik Hooker declares for the 2017 NFL Draft We will hear his name early

Josh Norris added,

2. Hooker previously said he would return to OSU, but we have seen people change their minds before. @TonyPauline was all over Hooker declaring

3. @JoshNorris 1st round lock right? How early?

16 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I'm all for drafting defense early, but I think taking a WR around the 4th round is necessary. Jay Gruden was simply not happy when asked about Doctson's injury. I have zero expectations for him and it is becoming pretty apparent we can't count on him next season 

I asked Scot about Cravens.  He told me back then (7 weeks ago) that he's likely headed to safety.  The take of it for me was they want their best players to play and Cravens who he thinks is a stud should be a full time starter.  Better fit size wise at safety than MLB.  I saw tweets today that Cravens is going to train in the off season with Ryan Clark and Landon Collins.  Ryan Clark bragged weeks ago that Landon's improvement from the first season might have had something to do with his training.

Adams and Cravens starting in the def backfield next year??  Idk that sounds scary in a bad way.  Idk.

I can't convey how much difference in our defense a sizeable, strong, rangy ILB would make.  Right now I think I'm on the Cunningham bandwagon.  We'll see what the combine and pro days bring.   

3 minutes ago, 3 Rings said:

Adams and Cravens starting in the def backfield next year??  Idk that sounds scary in a bad way.  Idk.

I can't convey how much difference in our defense a sizeable, strong, rangy ILB would make.  Right now I think I'm on the Cunningham bandwagon.  We'll see what the combine and pro days bring.   

The vibe I got from Scot from my meeting 7 weeks ago -- MLB isn't the code red position in his eyes on this team.    But if he was in love with a MLB prospect he'd take one.    Adams would be awesome but at least judging by current buzz it seems like he's a given top 10 pick.    Now, with Hooker declaring too who also might end up top 10 -- it would help drop Cunningham to the 17 range.

8 minutes ago, 3 Rings said:

I think Cravens is a stud and I'm psyched to hear he's training with Ryan and Landon Collins. Collins is turning into a heck of a player. 

I totally agree with the ILB comment. We really need some help, sick of seeing teams run really basic running plays and turn it into 10+ yard gains.Gotta be smart as well as athletic too though, we need someone who will be able to provide some leadership on the Defense in years to come.

52 minutes ago, 3 Rings said:

Adams studies film each week with Ryan Clark.

I'm fine with Cunningham. One of Cunningham, hooker, Adams, foster should drop after the combine and skill position players rise.

3 hours ago, 3 Rings said:

what does the forum think about this: 

Sua Cravens is clearly being moved to SS in 2017 (or at least that's what we are all being told). Assuming that's true, do you think it's because someone doesn't see him excelling at LB or is it that we have a need at SS and 2017 is more a LB class than SS?

Are the tea leaves already suggesting LB early in draft or FA?

Don't think they think that way. Same way that we fans sometimes say 'I would not draft player A because next year that position is loaded in the draft'.

Front offices can not guess on stuff like that. Maybe the best SS in the draft falls to us, you never know. They just make desicions based on there current knowledge. 

The fact is that our current SS sucks and Sua struggled to stay health at LB. So they want to move him out of the traffic...but if we get a great SS don't be shocked to see him go back to more LB duty and bulking up. Like we did with Murphy moving to 3-4 end and back to OLB. 

8 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

The fact is that our current SS sucks and Sua struggled to stay health at LB. So they want to move him out of the traffic...but if we get a great SS don't be shocked to see him go back to more LB duty and bulking up. Like we did with Murphy moving to 3-4 end and back to OLB. 

With a creative DC, we could see a Cravens into more of a rover hybrid type of roll that we envisioned for him against certain looks or in specific packages 

either way, I think SS should be his focus and we can get to that stuff later 

Just finished studying Malik Hooker...the Ed Reed comps are accurate. He's a very special player.

CBS's mock

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-jets-bet-on-deshaun-watson-leonard-fournette-to-panthers/

17. Washington Redskins

Solomon Thomas, DT, Stanford: A dominating performance in the Sun Bowl has Thomas' stock on the rise but the redshirt sophomore has been a standout all year long, earning the Morris Trophy as the Pac-12's top defensive lineman. At 6-2, 275 pounds Thomas may lack ideal size but his quickness, power and technique are top-20 caliber.

I was looking at a bunch of mocks, granted everything is fluid and things always change over time -- post senior bowl, combine, work outs, etc.  But at this given time, the picks that seem consistently in the top 15 are:

J. Peppers

J. Adams

D. Barnett

R. Foster

L. Fournette

T. Williams

J. Allen

Myles Garrett

Dalvin Cook

Mike Williams

Marshon Lattimore

Cam Robinson

Deshone Kizer

Mitch Trobisky

M. Hooker

Sometimes others sneak in.  Depending on the mock, Ive seen an additional QB in the top 15, additional CBs, O lineman.  

If it goes down this way, one of the guys we talk about among R. Foster, J. Adams, M. Hooker, D. Cook might sneak down to #17.  Combine numbers for MLB and safety are often big -- lets say Hooker runs a slower than expected 40, might drop him to #17.   Based on this early look, other guys we are talking about like Solomon Thomas, Cunningham, McDowell.  It's actually currently set up pretty well for grabbing one of the drafts better DTs or any MLB aside from Foster.   

If we were picking lets say 22, we'd likely have no shot (again based on how things look currently) at Hooker, Adams, Foster.  At #17 we might have a fighting chance at one of them.  One upside of the loss yesterday.  

1 minute ago, Rogue Jedi said:

I pray to the draft gods Hooker gets caught with weed or something and slides to us at 17.

Pipe dream, I know. But after scouting him he's the best safety prospect since Eric Berry. Dude is a threat any time he picks it off.

Yup. But I think he goes in the top-8. Gives us an outside chance at Adams, but even that is a long shot 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just finished studying Malik Hooker...the Ed Reed comps are accurate. He's a very special player.

CBS's mock

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-jets-bet-on-deshaun-watson-leonard-fournette-to-panthers/

17. Washington Redskins

Solomon Thomas, DT, Stanford: A dominating performance in the Sun Bowl has Thomas' stock on the rise but the redshirt sophomore has been a standout all year long, earning the Morris Trophy as the Pac-12's top defensive lineman. At 6-2, 275 pounds Thomas may lack ideal size but his quickness, power and technique are top-20 caliber.

Hooker immediately jumps up to my #2d behind Cook along with Thomas, Adams, and Foster. Chances are we are going to get a really good player there, especially if another qb sneaks into the top 15.

Having an Ed Reed type along with Cravens makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Either that or its the whiskey lol

14 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Yup. But I think he goes in the top-8. Gives us an outside chance at Adams, but even that is a long shot 

Again this is all precombine-senior bowl thoughts.  The way its looking at this given time at #17, we'd have a good shot at Malik Mcdowell or Solomon Thomas -- both bring pass rush, both are good against the run.   On my cursory look at the draft they are currently my top picks from the stand point of them being likely available.  

Arguably they would help start fixing the defense's biggest need.  If we picked at #22 not sure if either guy would be there.  I'd love Foster, Hooker, Adams but am guessing none of those guys are falling to #17 unless they disappoint in the combine.  But like I said you never know, especially if 4 corners sneak into the top 15 and 3 qbs make it too -- which I see in some mocks.

6 minutes ago, squatch66 said:

Hooker immediately jumps up to my #2d behind Cook along with Thomas, Adams, and Foster. Chances are we are going to get a really good player there, especially if another qb sneaks into the top 15.

Having an Ed Reed type along with Cravens makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Either that or its the whiskey lol

The more I think about it, Cook isn't a pipe dream.  In theory he's a top 10 pick but there are so many other hot prospects that he could bump down to #17.  He is one of the guys I did ask Scot about.   The board would go nuts if Scot took a RB.  :)  I'd be ok with it, though.

Archived