Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins in London - Q&A/Advice Thread & SATURDAY OFFICIAL PUB FAN RALLY

Sherlock Holmes

8 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

I live outside of Dublin myself and because I'm Irish, naturally haven't done a lot of the touristy things but I'll have a think. 

Your hotel is nice and central which is handy. 

Kilmainham Gaol is a good call. Very significant year as its 100 years since the 1916 rising here where we fought for our independence from the British. Kilmainham is where a lot of the Irish involved were detained or executed so should be fascinating I'd say. 

Visiting the Guinness Storehouse might be an option? Haven't done it myself but heard a lot of good things about it. Free pint of Guinness at the end of it too :pint:

I'd try avoid Temple Bar. Maybe visit it for a couple of drinks so you can say you did it but its a pure tourist cash in really. Very overpriced and very busy. Full of tourists so you don't really see "real Dublin". There are plenty of bars in areas around Grafton St and South WIlliam Street which will give a far better reflection of the Dublin bar experience. Also avoid Harcourt St, full of students who can't handle their drink. Sheehan's just off Grafton St is an example of a proper Irish bar. O'Donoghue's and The Long Stone are other bars that I'd be a fan of. They aren't anything fancy just nice traditional Irish bars. 

Howth is nice for a walk if you are into that sort of thing. Howth Head offers some pretty great views. Howth is also where Beshoffs is. The best fish and chips (fries) I've had in this country. 

Wish I could recommend you some really nice restaurants but I wouldn't be very familiar with dining in Dublin. Luigi Malones, which is actually just in the temple bar area, is somewhere I've been a few times and wouldn't have a bad word to say about. I'm sure there are plenty of better places around though to be found. 

This website might be of help for restaurants, live music and stuff https://lovindublin.com/

If anything else comes to mind I'll let you know or if you've any questions I'm happy to help out!

Thank you very much!

On 10/20/2016 at 5:44 PM, London Kev said:

I'm South East London born and raised. To those from outside the capital, all London accents probably sound the same, but there are subtle differences. By the way South East is pronounced Sar Feast :).

These are all good;

http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/101-things-to-do-in-london

https://www.designmynight.com/london/whats-on/friday-nights-london

http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/things-to-do-in-london-on-a-friday

Sweet !!  Love these links!  

23 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Okay Brits!   I love beer.   I really, love, love, LOVE beer.  I am a beer geek.   With the exception of "light" , wheat beers, I like many styles. 

I went to High School in Europe, (Dad was stationed in Naples, Italy), and, with the exception of the United Kingdom, have had beer all over Europe.  

Back then, I had some Brit friends,(Dad worked at a NATO base), but we mainly drank Lowenbrau, Beck's, Peroni, or whatever we could nick, (see what I did there?), from our parents refrigerators.

I know it's subjective, but please educate me.   Please tell me what I must have.    Thanks!

As you're in London, if you can get anything by Beavertown or The Kernel, both make great beers. There's a number of Sam Smiths pubs in town, so grab a bottle of the Nut Brown Ale. Thornbridge, Harviestoun, Brewdog, Williams Brothers, Oakham Ales are all good too.

I'd recommend visiting any of The Euston Tap, The Craft Beer Company and The Rake if you get the chance. Plenty of choice and they'll let talk you through the range and let you try before you buy. Choice in London pubs is better than ever and even if you only get to try the mainstream big UK  breweries, you're still likely to find something good. Just steer clear of the likes of John Smiths, Worthingtons, Tetleys and the like. 

On 22/10/2016 at 0:31 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Okay Brits!   I love beer.   I really, love, love, LOVE beer.  I am a beer geek.   With the exception of "light" , wheat beers, I like many styles. 

I went to High School in Europe, (Dad was stationed in Naples, Italy), and, with the exception of the United Kingdom, have had beer all over Europe.  

Back then, I had some Brit friends,(Dad worked at a NATO base), but we mainly drank Lowenbrau, Beck's, Peroni, or whatever we could nick, (see what I did there?), from our parents refrigerators.

I know it's subjective, but please educate me.   Please tell me what I must have.    Thanks!

Funny you should ask. I have just the place ..... Beer Festival - Croydon & Sutton CAMRA

I shall be there until going on 5 Saturday afternoon getting merrily bevviied before rolling into Selhurst Park around the corner to watch L'pool destroy their next sacrificial victims Palace.

Hail. 

36 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Funny you should ask. I have just the place ..... Beer Festival - Croydon & Sutton CAMRA

I shall be there until going on 5 Saturday afternoon getting merrily bevviied before rolling into Selhurst Park around the corner to watch L'pool destroy their next sacrificial victims Palace.

Hail. 

Crud!

We don't land until 3:30.on Saturday.  

On 20/10/2016 at 1:32 AM, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Are the UK Skins fans on this forum actually British or Americans living there?

London born and raised. My love of the Redskins is predated by my hatred of the Cowboys.  When I found out the Redskins were the hated rivals of the Cowboys, good, bad or indifferent they were my team.

Living not too far from Wembley, I was gutted when I did not get my ticket for the game. Luckily they had a second round of tickets on sale, which meant I got my hands on some.  This will be international game number 3 for me (I saw the first two). 

32 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Condolences. Hop the tube a few stops to somewhere like Kilburn. Or better you go into town. Nottin' round Wembley. HATE going there. 

Hail. 

Seeing what you mean.  Probably not a horrible thing after our redeye out. :) Heading to town in the morning though.  We gonna see you around? 

20 minutes ago, Poman said:

Seeing what you mean.  Probably not a horrible thing after our redeye out. :) Heading to town in the morning though.  We gonna see you around? 

Maybe in the evening. I get down around lunchtime. Dump the bags at a friends. Then I'm straight over South London/ Croydon for a beer festival at Norwood Junction, and then a soccer match around the corner at Crystal Palace a half 5. Not real plans for the evening so not sure at all where we'll end up. 

The extra in bed is certainly a God send the Sunday like! 

36 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Our macro beers are **** but the craft beer scene here is better than anywhere in the world and it's not even close 

I'd beg to differ it's 'not even close.' There's some excellent micro brewery's over here that have been growing in number the last couple of decades. 

Hail. 

Archived