Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

No-deal Brexit: quarter of UK voters now stockpiling or delaying big purchases

A quarter of UK voters have started taking precautions against the adverse consequences of a no-deal Brexit, including stockpiling food, toiletries and medicines, according to a new Opinium/Observer poll.

While 75% of those questioned said they had taken no special action, the remaining 25% said they had taken one or more of a series of measures listed by Opinium, which also included altering travel plans and delaying major purchases.

The survey was taken after leaks of official documents showed concerns within Whitehall about the effects of no deal on the supply of food, medicines and other items.

Among those who had taken action, 9% said they had begun stockpiling goods, 8% said that they had delayed major purchases and 7% said they had altered travel plans. Among people who said they had begun stockpiling 57% said they bought extra tinned food, 45% extra medicines, 38% more toiletries and 30% additional toilet paper.

Click on the link for the full article

The Boris Johnson government can't be this stupid. Not only are they willing to **** the UK economy with a Hard Brexit, they are also acting in a way that will likely restart the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland. English police patrolling in Northern Ireland? FFS.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/english-police-could-patrol-northern-ireland-border-after-no-deal-xm7gvrqqv

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

The Boris Johnson government can't be this stupid. Not only are they willing to **** the UK economy with a Hard Brexit, they are also acting in a way that will likely restart the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland. English police patrolling in Northern Ireland? FFS.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/english-police-could-patrol-northern-ireland-border-after-no-deal-xm7gvrqqv

I don't quite understand why the DUP has stuck by the Tories through this nonsense.  They don't want a hard border between NI/ROI but they also don't want any type of internal border with the UK.  

15 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Yo whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

This is apparently normally a pro forma request, but in this case it seems to have pissed off John Bercow, the Speaker. I bet it also riled up a lot of the members. I wonder if this is going to backfire. It's not like MPs can't talk informally outside of session (I think).

39 minutes ago, techboy said:

This is apparently normally a pro forma request, but in this case it seems to have pissed off John Bercow, the Speaker. I bet it also riled up a lot of the members. I wonder if this is going to backfire. It's not like MPs can't talk informally outside of session (I think).

Yeah, I didn't realize that.

It feels kind of weird given how this is bearing down on them, would be kind of like Congress going on vacation as we were about to pull out of NATO.