Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

4 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

At this point you have to think the UK is just trolling the EU

Unfortunately, it's the public being trolled. The UK no longer supports or wants Brexit (those of us with a brain cell never wanted it in the first place). Why is it the Brexwits are so averse to a second referendum? They know they'll get hammered. Well over 200 of 240 something polls since the vote have Remain winning out.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:21 PM, UKskins said:

Unfortunately, it's the public being trolled. The UK no longer supports or wants Brexit (those of us with a brain cell never wanted it in the first place). Why is it the Brexwits are so averse to a second referendum? They know they'll get hammered. Well over 200 of 240 something polls since the vote have Remain winning out.

Every poll I've seen shows that majority still wants Brexit (which from my understanding is why the remainers are preventing a general election). That said doesn't mean I've seen good polls. Can you post public opinion polls showing that the majority wants to remain in the EU?

Edited by nonniey
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

Every poll I've seen shows that majority still wants Brexit (which from my understanding is why the remainers are preventing a general election). That said doesn't mean I've seen good polls. Can you post public opinion polls showing that the majority wants to remain in the EU?

That logic doesn’t follow. The Remainers very much want a second referendum which is a specific vote on brexit and why a million people marched on the streets of London at the weekend. It’s the leavers who are running scared of a second referendum because they know they will lose a second one.

The general election is more of a picking their time issue - Corbyn is a pretty divisive figure and would struggle to win an election but a referendum specifically on brexit is different to an election on everything to choose a new government. Lots of individuals are worried they will lose their seats.

Also, similar to Clinton winning the popular vote but losing the election, similar could happen in a new referendum due to the voting system though which is one reason several opposition figures won't commit to a second referendum.

Youve done an incredible job to only see polls with leave still leading, there have only been about 7 in the 3 years since. 

Here is a link to the polling analysis I alluded to - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-news-latest-britain-against-leaving-eu-as-poll-of-polls-says-most-now-want-to-stay-a4257476.html

Edited by UKskins
  • Thanks 2

On 10/19/2019 at 9:21 PM, UKskins said:

But what should the options be? I've heard it said that there should be three options: Leave with the deal, leave with no-deal, and remain. The problem with this is that it's classic divide-and-conquer tactics. You could end up with result such as:

Leave with the deal 33%

Leave with no-deal 33%

Remain 34%

Remain would win even though 66% of the voters want to leave and only 34% want to remain.

3 hours ago, London Kev said:

But what should the options be? I've heard it said that there should be three options: Leave with the deal, leave with no-deal, and remain. The problem with this is that it's classic divide-and-conquer tactics. You could end up with result such as:

Leave with the deal 33%

Leave with no-deal 33%

Remain 34%

Remain would win even though 66% of the voters want to leave and only 34% want to remain.

No deal should not be on offer.

None of the pre-referendum discussion had anything to do with no deal, nobody voted for it. Johnson was promising we could have our cake and eat it.

It should be leave with a deal or don't leave at all.

34 minutes ago, UKskins said:

None of the pre-referendum discussion had anything to do with no deal, nobody voted for it. Johnson was promising we could have our cake and eat it.

OK, just to play devil's advocate;

Remain should not be on offer.

The pre-referendum discussion was that this was to be a "once-in-a-lifetime decision". We live in a democracy which by definition means majority rule, and the majority voted to leave.

It should be leave with a deal or leave with no deal.

59 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I think the option actually voted on was leave or stay. How they leave wasn't part of the vote.  Since then is has been a no holds barred attempt to prevent Britain from leaving despite their vote.