Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

Well to be honest it is troubling and very reflective of how the EU operates and reflects how anti-democratic Europe is becoming. Was it not Parliament that gave the decision to the voters?  If the vote doesn't go the way those in power want it to go the solution is to just ignore it and carry on.

What does todays ruling have to do with the EU again?

Hail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

What does todays ruling have to do with the EU again?

The funny thing is, according to what I heard on CNBC this morning, if the full Supreme Court reverses the ruling, it can be appealed again.

To an EU court.

On 21/10/2016 at 8:13 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Anyone on here smart enough to predict how this will affect us on this side of the pond?

GB is among USA's top 10 largest trading partner, so it is going to hurt the US economy. USA will also lose a "voice" within the EU since UK has always been a strong partner in terms of influence. I believe if the pound keeps on dropping, the US dollar will keep on rising and ultimately it will impact the US economy. The Fed tried multiple times to raise the interest rate, but failed to do so because of the market uncertainties.

On 11/3/2016 at 11:03 AM, nonniey said:

Well to be honest it is troubling and very reflective of how the EU operates and reflects how anti-democratic Europe is becoming. Was it not Parliament that gave the decision to the voters?  If the vote doesn't go the way those in power want it to go the solution is to just ignore it and carry on.

The referedum was never binding.  Even if it was, the court is now basically saying, that Parliament can't be bound by anyone (even itself), so it would be moot.

On 11/6/2016 at 1:07 AM, FrFan said:

GB is among USA's top 10 largest trading partner, so it is going to hurt the US economy. USA will also lose a "voice" within the EU since UK has always been a strong partner in terms of influence. I believe if the pound keeps on dropping, the US dollar will keep on rising and ultimately it will impact the US economy. The Fed tried multiple times to raise the interest rate, but failed to do so because of the market uncertainties.

I don't think it matters one way or another.   Nothing is going to prevent the US and UK from trading with one another after the Brexit. 

A stronger dollar vs the pound is just going to mean the UKs exports will be cheaper for US customers, while US exports will be more expensive for those in the UK.   Of course this is going to hurt companies who export to the UK, but don't really consume UK goods (for example, Apple).  However, it helps companies and individuals who do alot of importing from the UK, but little of any exporting to the UK.   Offhand, I can't think of any companies like this, but according to US census, these do exist to the tune of $57 billion per year (vs $56 billion for exports) https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/top/top1512yr.html, so its probably a wash

As for the UK's "voice" in the EU, can you give an example where it has advanced US interests in the EU?   I can give at least one non-example, with the that GMOs, which the UK seems about as opposed as most other EU countries

6 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I don't think it matters one way or another.   Nothing is going to prevent the US and UK from trading with one another after the Brexit. 

A stronger dollar vs the pound is just going to mean the UKs exports will be cheaper for US customers, while US exports will be more expensive for those in the UK.   Of course this is going to hurt companies who export to the UK, but don't really consume UK goods (for example, Apple).  However, it helps companies and individuals who do alot of importing from the UK, but little of any exporting to the UK.   Offhand, I can't think of any companies like this, but according to US census, these do exist to the tune of $57 billion per year (vs $56 billion for exports) https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/top/top1512yr.html, so its probably a wash

As for the UK's "voice" in the EU, can you give an example where it has advanced US interests in the EU?   I can give at least one non-example, with the that GMOs, which the UK seems about as opposed as most other EU countries

I said it in my post it's a matter of influence. " "We have a growing relationship with the EU as an institution, which has an increasing voice in the world, and we want to see a strong British voice in that EU. That is in America's interests. We welcome an outward-looking EU with Britain in it."". I could give many examples, just this one will suffice I bet, without  going back to memory lane: the anti-Putin politics.

About GMO in the UK: Why Britain is going its own way on GMOs, Genetically modified food impossible to avoid unless you buy organic, Britons warned

I think GMOs are a source of concern, but on the other hand fighting ISIS, dealing with Putin, are more important right now. You can understand why French people are strongly opposed to GMOs ;)

"The United States has traditionally relied on an engaged Britain, alongside other allies Germany and France, as a way to ensure its interests are taken into account on the top table of Europe -- and now faces the prospect of one of its most influential allies leaving the block and diminishing its clout."

How Brexit impacts the U.S. economy

Why Brexit Really Is a Big Deal for the U.S. Economy

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1