Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Brazil’s new president is already deeply unpopular

visionary

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/05/12/brazils-gets-a-new-leader-amid-crisis-but-dont-think-bland-bureaucrat/?postshare=3621463084171912&tid=ss_tw

Brazil’s new president is already deeply unpopular

The man who assumed control of Latin America’s largest country, Vice President Michel Temer, is a career politician with a reputation as a skilled negotiator and smooth behind-the-scenes operator.

His supporters say he's just the kind of experienced statesman the country needs in its moment of crisis -- with President Dilma Rousseff suspended from office Thursday by the senate and facing trial over alleged fiscal wrongdoing.

But, this being Brazil, that doesn’t mean Temer is a stodgy technocrat taking the helm.

A legal scholar and sometimes poet, Temer, 75, is famous for his dapper suits, slicked-back silver hair and wife -- who will turn 33 on Monday -- who was only a toddler when Brazilian democracy returned in 1985 after two decades of military rule.

He is the author of "Anonymous Intimacy," a book of sensual verses inspired by his wife, Marcela, who was a 20 year-old aspiring beauty queen when she became Temer's third wife in 2003.

Temer has assumed Brazil’s presidency on an interim basis, but given the overwhelming margin by which Rousseff lost Thursday's vote, there appears to be a growing likelihood he will serve out the rest of her term through 2018.

Remember 3 years ago when everyone was saying Brazil was the next great superpower? Good times

Turns out they are an entire country of poorly educated and notoriously lazy populace who just happen to have had endless natural resources to fuel the Chinese economic machine. And that's basically that.

Next up

I think it has more to do with the political chaos going on over there leading up to Rousseff's upcoming impeachment.  

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36273916

Which nobody in this country would care about it the Olympics weren't being held there soon.

EDIT:  That is, excluding the small minority of people such as yourself that care what goes on in the rest of the world.  The US is very self-centered.

Edited by China
  • Like 3

Remember 3 years ago when everyone was saying Brazil was the next great superpower? Good times

Turns out they are an entire country of poorly educated and notoriously lazy populace who just happen to have had endless natural resources to fuel the Chinese economic machine. And that's basically that.

Next up

My ex wife was Brazilian. I heard for YEARS about how awesome they were. As I had to watch night after night of Brazilian news filled with madness. Can't lie, I'm relishing the obvious finally becoming obvious.

Next up

• Like 3

Dilma is a horrible president and has set Brazil back. I hope they can transition away from her without losing sight of the rule of law.

Brazil has a loose relationship with the rule of law. Slavery persists in Brazil. Not just the sex or domestic slavery western nations are content to ignore, but the beatings and forced to work kind that haunts our history books. Companies found with slaves must suffer the indignity of having those slaves released and pay a fine. They also have "street children" in such numbers that the government had their numbers reduced (by having authorities murder them) to avoid the embarrassment of having visitors see them during the World Cup. I'm not sure if a similar culling will take place ahead of the Olympic communities arrival. I haven't even touched on crime and corruption.

My ex wife was Brazilian. I heard for YEARS about how awesome they were. As I had to watch night after night of Brazilian news filled with madness. Can't lie, I'm relishing the obvious finally becoming obvious.

Awesome at what?  Soccer?  Having some good looking women with nice asses? Poverty?

We interviewed this kid a few weeks ago who's parents are from Brazil, he couldn't shut the **** up about being Brazilian.  Managed to work in soccer and Brazilian women into his interview.  Everyone I've ever met who's got some ties to Brazil manages to work that into the conversation within the first 5 minutes, guaranteed.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

I would argue they're not that great at soccer

1 it's the only ****ing sport they play. literally the only sport

2. There are something like 350 million brazilians.

Sorry, but if Holland and Portugal are **** slapping you in international competition, you are not a great soccer nation. You are just a nation with a large population.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/world/americas/brazil-dilma-rousseff-impeachment-petrobras.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Transcript Suggests a Plot Behind Effort to Oust Brazilian President

Brazil’s interim president, Michel Temer, on Monday suffered a major setback in his campaign to win over the country when a report of recordings surfaced suggesting that one of his ministers had plotted to head off the huge Petrobras corruption investigation by pursuing the impeachment of President Dilma Rousseff.

The minister, Romero Jucá, an influential leader in the Brazilian Democratic Movement Party, or PMDB, though denying accusations of wrongdoing, said he would step down on Tuesday and return to the Senate. Earlier in the day, the Brazilian newspaper Folha de S. Paulo published excerpts from a recorded conversation between Mr. Jucá and a former business executive that indicated they were seeking to impede the sprawling investigation in which both were caught up.

Mr. Temer temporarily took over the presidency on May 12 after Ms. Rousseff was suspended for up to 180 days following a vote by the country’s Senate to start an impeachment trial against her.

He replaced the entire cabinet, seeking to win Brazilians’ trust and also investors’ confidence that he could find a way out of the nation’s worst economic crisis in decades. Yet he named many ministers already ensnared in the corruption inquiries.

The new accusations are likely to raise more questions over the motives behind the drive to impeach Ms. Rousseff. They could also increase scrutiny on other cabinet ministers who face their own legal troubles.

According to Folha de S. Paulo, Mr. Jucá spoke to Sergio Machado, the former president of Transpetro, a subsidiary of Petrobras. Mr. Machado had left that position after being implicated in the Petrobras scandal.

The recordings, from a conversation in March, suggest that Mr. Jucá entered into an agreement with the goal of impeding and even possibly stopping the investigation. There was also a suggestion that the impeachment might have been part of that plan.

In one excerpt, Mr. Machado made reference to his desire for “the departure of Dilma.”

Following that, he said that Mr. Temer “would form a government of national unity, make a major agreement, protect Lula and protect everyone. This country would return to being calm.” Lula is Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, Ms. Rousseff’s predecessor and mentor, and a founder of her Workers Party.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/12/2016 at 6:52 PM, zoony said:

Next up

I used to think you were pretty cool. Either I've changed or you have.

On 5/12/2016 at 10:44 PM, China said:

We had an exchange student from Brazil live with us for a year when I was in high school.  That was when I first heard their claim that a Brazilian (Alberto Santos-Dumont) was the first in the world to achieve powered flight, not the Wright Brothers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_to_the_first_powered_flight

You mean you thought the Wright Bros. were the first? Probably just more alternative facts. ;) Speaking of which, is it just me or is there a certain similarity between our own Dump-ster fire and what's going on there? I'm not saying we're not any better, just that perhaps we're not as immune to this kind of thing as maybe we once thought. If Dump were just a hair smarter, or just able to keep his yap shut half the time, he'd have been able to successfully make the U.S. into a lite version of Russia/China. Marinate on that for a minute.

• 1 month later...