Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "bathroom law" thread

Larry

In all honesty, I wasn't aware of that. However reality isn't what matters. Do you think the pearl clutching, Jeebus eating blue hairs are going to be fine with it if it turns out their parts match? All they're going to care about is that a person who looks like a man might see them adjusting their wigs, sniffing a line and farting whilst taking a Trump. Likewise, when the story runs in the Bumpkintown Stars and Bars and the Lynchville Times, nobody's going to read anything beyond the headline and the picture of a person that looks like Chaz Bono being found *GASP* in the ladies room. See Jumbo's sig for what happens next. ;)

9 hours ago, The Sisko said:

In all honesty, I wasn't aware of that. However reality isn't what matters. Do you think the pearl clutching, Jeebus eating blue hairs are going to be fine with it if it turns out their parts match? All they're going to care about is that a person who looks like a man might see them adjusting their wigs, sniffing a line and farting whilst taking a Trump. Likewise, when the story runs in the Bumpkintown Stars and Bars and the Lynchville Times, nobody's going to read anything beyond the headline and the picture of a person that looks like Chaz Bono being found *GASP* in the ladies room. See Jumbo's sig for what happens next. ;)

My first "trans" experience was in London, I was 18 doing a concert tour of the British Isles.  As a preacher's kid, I was a little weirded out, but hey...you gotta be who you gotta be.  I helped her fix a buckle on her shoe in a store, she was very appreciative, especially from a young, visiting American. 

Looking back on it now, we were just who we were. 

I don't think most people with any sense believe this doesn't provide a loophole for perverts. However I think there are better ways of dealing with that than forcing someone who's transitioned or at some stage in the process of using a restroom in which they may not feel comfortable. After all, trans women, especially those that have had the surgery or are close to it would be vulnerable to perverts in the men's room. Somehow I believe there's a way to work this out so that everyone can be accommodated. We did it with ADA and I don't see how this is any different. It might be as simple as requiring a set number of private restrooms based on facility size, capacity, etc.

Re: sports. This graphic illustrates the differences between male and female physicality. There's a reason why we have had separate events for males and females. Also, as to Title IX, it was created to assist females who are historically underserved in colleges and universities. Calling males what they are not takes away from females.

FB_IMG_1488551101085.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, daveakl said:

So now Cooper (D), governor of NC, doesn't want to get rid of HB2 because it's a polarizing issue that will motivate his base in the 2018 mid terms. After the elections he's OK to negotiate again. 

I hope that there's something missing, from your summary.  

11 minutes ago, Larry said:

I hope that there's something missing, from your summary.  

Nope, he will sign off on a 100% repeal of the HB2 law (everything that was in the bill including the bathroom portion) but he apparently won't negotiate anything other then that right now.

19 minutes ago, daveakl said:

Nope, he will sign off on a 100% repeal of the HB2 law (everything that was in the bill including the bathroom portion) but he apparently won't negotiate anything other then that right now.

Then there was something missing from your summary.  

Your claim of "doesn't want to get rid of HB2" is 100% opposite to your "he will sign off on a 100% repeal of the HB2 law".  

Oh, it's certainly politics.  He's refusing to allow the legislature to get rid of the part that's spectacularly bad, unless they get rid of the parts that are less spectacularly bad, too.  

Let's face it, his state would be better off with a partial repeal than it will be with no repeal at all.  And he's rejecting that option.  

It's just not "he doesn't want to get rid of the law".  

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Oh, it's certainly politics.  He's refusing to allow the legislature to get rid of the part that's spectacularly bad, unless they get rid of the parts that are less spectacularly bad, too.  

Let's face it, his state would be better off with a partial repeal than it will be with no repeal at all.  And he's rejecting that option.  

It's just not "he doesn't want to get rid of the law".  

no.  He does not want to get rid of the law.  He's not going to veto a full on repeal of HB2 but he isn't going to negotiate a partial repeal either.  You can 100% be against HB2 and all that it stands for and at the same time not want to get rid of it.

Archived