Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Deranged True Story of "Heavy Metal Parking Lot"

Dan T.

I'm certain that a lot of our paths crossed at these shows. I was at the Aerosmith/Dokken show just to the left of the stage. I was a bigger Dokken fan so I was pissed. Until Aerosmith played for what seemed like hours. Great show.

And for those interested. At the 811-15 mark of heavy metal parking lot, there's a dorky looking guy with Vuarnet sunglasses and a popped up colored white shirt who should have known better.

The Wax was AWESOME.. the way it was set up with that twelve or so row amphitheater made it so that when you left the stage area, you were eye level with the band, and maybe 25' away all the way around. I loved that place.

i have an Aerosmith Cap Centre story.

Once upon a time, way back in the day where Six Flags sits there used to be a park called The Wildlife Preserve, and it was one of those monorail type places that took you through "natural" animal habitats. All sorts of African animals. 

It was owned by Jim Fowler.. the guy from th old Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom TV show,, you'll remember him as the guy who Marlin Perkins always sent out to be chased, attacked or otherwise wrestled by whatever critter they were after that week.

Anyway, he lost a pile of money and had to close the park, but there was no place to send the animals, so they stayed there in Largo for years.

Well, Aerosmith played the Cap Centre in 1980 without Joe Perry, who was in a snit and had left the band, so what I got for my $8.80 was Aerosmith with some guy named Jimmy Crespi on guitar, and the opening act was Mother's Finest, who were AWESOME.

Anyway, in the parking lot, much like the party in the OP movie...  we were all partying and word started getting round that people were seeing monkeys in the trees. (the lots were surrounded by woods.)

So of course we go over, and there was indeed a chimpanzee that had escaped from the old Wildlife Preserve, and was roaming around the outskirts of the lots ... probably hungry and curious as hell.

I never actually saw it, but it was confirmed in the paper.. and I did hear a bunch of people yelling and pointing and i saw some trees move a little.

~Bang

I saw a lot of bands at 930, most of whom don't or didn't exist for long. My favorite was always the Slickee Boys, Black Market Baby, and I did see Link Wray at the old place.. got to meet him, I know one of his nephews. (Link Wray is a local boy for those that don't know, Accokeek. and if you don't know Link Wray,,  he's Elvis's nasty uncle. Inventor of the power chord, ad had a song banned in 1956 by church groups across the country for inciting juvenile delinquency,,, which in 1956 was not really unusual, except "Rumble" is an instrumental with no words in it to incite anyone. It just growled and menaced the **** out of everyone in petticoats.)

Link was swagger. greased hair, leather jacket and sideburns.

That night at 930 He held out his guitar and everyone took a whack at it as he slid it along the front of the stage, and while everyone in the place who could reach it hit the strings, he just played on the frets and maybe that baby wail.

It was ****ing AWESOME.

A legend, being legendary, right in front of me.

For me 9:30 wasn't so much a "who are we going to see' concert thing.   it was like "It's friday, we're going to 930. I wonder who's playing."

~Bang

Bang- great stuff... Might have crossed paths here and there.. i think I might have been18 at that time. My buddies and I had fake ids and were sneaking in clubs and strip joints at 15.. We were all pretty tall.

Remember kingface? They were a local fave of mine.... I have to say I never saw a bad Ramones show. They kicked ass every time, saw them at lolapalooza here in cincy in 1996 and it just wasn't the same with a big crowd, they are a club band period.

My favorite 930 show was the replacements in like 1985. They were so drunk it started sounding like gibberish... They also let their roadie sing a song and then pushed him off the stage...

Used to see the slickee boys 3-4 times a year there too.

I was born in December 1968 and missed the grandfather thing in school by one month! That sucked.

My buds and I got our fake ids from some passport place... It said "American ID System" at the top... We called it the Aids Id. It worked every where.

Anyone remember shepherds park at he tip of dc next to silver spring... First place I ever saw a naked broad live....

Well, I DID see the Replacements there and do recall that show.. a friend of mine was a writer for one of those Annapolis rags at the time and got backstage and asked Paul Westerburg why he called the song "Gary's Got a Boner".. and Westerberg told my buddy that it was "the most faggot name he could think of", and declared my friend's name was probably Gary.

It isn't,, it's Paul :D.

so maybe we smashed into one another once or twice. 

In that place, probably more like 15 or 20 times. 

Cheers! that is ****ing awesome!

~Bang

Dude... That is Great! Awesome show.

Love the mats. Had tix to their next show there but Paul broke his arm and they cancelled,, we were drinking one night and decided to call him in Minneapolis, he lived at his dad's house, and the number was in the book.. My friends dad had like a million phone books for his job for some reason. So he answered and we asked how his arm was and he said ok and we bull****ted with him for like 15 mins... He was drunk as hell, slurring his words and then there as silence.. Think he passed out.

Great monkey story Bang.

Jimmy Crespo weighed 98 pounds with rocks in his pockets!

U2 warmed up for Slickee Boys at the Bayou.

I saw legendary guitarist Dick Dale at the 930. He was late because his car got broken into and the thief stole his kids’ Christmas presents.

I hereby declare USS calling Westerberg’s house to be an instant classic!

Was that the Turbo tour? I was there and I think that was the night that Don Dokken got sick and couldn't perform after like two songs. Priest was awesome and like 8 of us were in the section to the right of the stage standing on the backs of our chairs headbanging! Almost got into a giant brawl with people telling us to sit down! Fun times at the cap centre!

Was that the Turbo tour? I was there and I think that was the night that Don Dokken got sick and couldn't perform after like two songs. Priest was awesome and like 8 of us were in the section to the right of the stage standing on the backs of our chairs headbanging! Almost got into a giant brawl with people telling us to sit down! Fun times at the cap centre!

Turbo tour.

But the Dokken show that ended early was with Aeroamith. And it was Lynch that was sick.

Turbo tour.

But the Dokken show that ended early was with Aeroamith. And it was Lynch that was sick.

I may have been high at the time and misremember some actual events.....

Nugent opened for Aerosmith when I saw them at the cap centre and blew aerosmith away that night. That was their first tour with Joe Perry back in the band and their acoustics were terrible that night.

I may have been high at the time and misremember some actual events.....Nugent opened for Aerosmith when I saw them at the cap centre and blew aerosmith away that night. That was their first tour with Joe Perry back in the band and their acoustics were terrible that night.

I was at this show. Aerosmith Done With Mirrors tour. They were completely ****-faced. This was a couple of years before they got cleaned up and made their big comeback...and yea, The Nuge lit it up that night!

Thx bang.. Your boner story was pretty great too. THe 80s were so great. Miss those days of seeing bands every weekend. I played guitar in a few bands but we never did anything than a few u of md frat parties... And one dive in Rockville... My buddy went on to play in high back chairs and velocity girl.

Wish I had the call on tape, we actually didn't think we would get through to him.. I actually didn't say much other than, "you're great dude!"

My buddy did most of the talking... But it was cool.

Watched the movie and wow, that was like taking a ride in the way back machine... And looked like every dude in my high school. That was sweet,

I had never seen that video before, or heard of it, but I'm glad I have.  I even watched the "Where are they now" follow up on Youtube.  Zebraman is surprisingly normal.

Oh man, I just started to watch it.  Go figure, it starts off at Jaxx.  What an armpit of a place that was.  Suburban dirtballs, indeed.

Yup, that dude.  Wonder what happened to him.

I think he was Fonzie's nephew, fell in love with some chick named Joanie, and is now endorsing Donald Trump while people wonder who he is.

For a while he had a small law practice.

~Bang

Archived