Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The VR Headset Wars Thread

DogofWar1

I can't look at these things the same way since reading Ready Player One.  Now I'm left wondering when kids will be able to attend virtual public schools.  

As for the units themselves, the first things I'd have to consider is weight, stability, and comfort. Gaming sessions can last for hours and I'm betting human necks are not going to respond well to the sudden changes in weight distribution when these devices are used frequently or for long periods of time.  Gaming also demands sudden movements, unless you're into boring games, which combined with the previous point means that the weight and fit of these things is going to be important.  The lighter the better, obviously, but I'd also want the one that shifted the least when I moved around.  Hopefully without having to strap in on so tight that I'm left bruised and numb by the experience.  

I think these things are still a bit ungainly and I'm not sure people are going to go crazy for having to strap things to their heads that blinds them to the world around them.  Especially since it is likely anyone that sees you will be driven to laughter at the sight of your highly incongruous movements caused by living our your virtual adventure. 

tldr:  Probably best to try them on before making up your mind, and I have doubts as to how popular these things will be. 

I can't look at these things the same way since reading Ready Player One.  Now I'm left wondering when kids will be able to attend virtual public schools.  

]

ha! I'm reading that book right now. Still fairly early into it but as a gamer I'm really enjoying it. 

Would some of you please explain why you would want to put one of these things on? Just for games?

Besides a game, I don't get the draw to this.

I know for VR applications I've seen games is just one small part.   It's an entirely new way to visualize and interact with your computer and the world around you.    Like Education what if your University Biology Class on Mitosis were actually held inside a cell?    What if your Teacher could give every student in a class of 2000 people personalized attention,   for every minute of the class.    What if instead of having to describe some event folks could be taken to those events and relive them.

I know Microsoft Holo Lens demo's I've seen which were fairly cool...  Now Holo Lens is not Virtual Reality but an offshoot.   It's called augmented Reality.

(1)  You are working on your engine and as you open the hood of your car and begin to look at your engine,   the names of the parts and the part numbers as well as instructions to change your oil,  rebuild your carburetor,  flush your power steering fluid  and several other tasks are overplayed on top of your view of your engine.   

(2)  You call someone on the phone... only with a Holo Lens call   you aren't just talking to them..  you are actually sitting next to them able to see their body language, and facial expressions.   It's an entirely different kind of technology..   That's not just for phone calls but messages too.    Think of it like Star Wars when Leiha records a message for Obiwon.

(3)   You are designing something.    Instead of getting our your cad program,    you use AR and some hand gestures and you have designed you widget ( in the demo it was a quad copter)...   with another hand gesture that design is sent to a three D printer and replicated.   

It's just a superior interface for many computing needs.

Ars just put up its full review of the Oculus Rift.  http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/the-ars-review-oculus-rift-expands-pc-gaming-past-the-monitors-edge/

It seems like the hardware itself is really good, their gripes seem almost entirely software based, with the exception that if you're looking at something really really closely in game, you can get some pixelation.

Vive review should be out by them within a week or so, they're waiting on final hardware and the embargo to be lifted.

'OCULUS FACE' IS THE SIGN OF OUR VIRTUAL TIMES

The Oculus Rift, Facebook's $599 virtual reality headset, is now finally shipping out to buyers. While many are excited to get their hands on the final consumer version of the headset (including us at Popular Science), a few people who were lucky enough to get it early have reported a potentially embarrassing side effect: temporary red marks on their faces, a.k.a., "Oculus Face" or "Rift Rash."

oculus-faces.jpg?itok=yOJBVB77&fc=50,50

Click on the link for more

Really "No motion control" listed as a con? That's like complaining a TV didn't come with a Blu Ray player. Yes, you very well may want to play blu rays on your TV, but that's what a blu ray player is for; it doesn't have to come with your TV.

If only they worked on some kind of motion controller that could work with their HMD...

Really "No motion control" listed as a con? That's like complaining a TV didn't come with a Blu Ray player. Yes, you very well may want to play blu rays on your TV, but that's what a blu ray player is for; it doesn't have to come with your TV.

Indeed, I threw up their bottom points next to their score, but I could think of some pros and cons better than what they listed.

But yeah, adding motion control after the fact via other devices should alleviate the problem.  At worst, it's a first generation Oculus issue, if even.

Explain "motion control" like I'm 5.

Well, there are different kinds, but assuming they're discussing it in the context of comparing it to the HTC Vive.  The HTC Vive comes with controllers whose position is tracked by sensors you set around the room.  Wherever you move the controllers in space, so too do the "hands" within the game.  Think Nintendo Wii, but with more comfortable controllers and more accurate tracking, plus in a virtual space.

The Vive requires a several square meter area cleared though.

I'm interested in their application in treating mental illnesses and phobias. They also have a lot of potential educational possibilities that are relatively unexplored because so much of the focus is on gaming.

Still think that augmented reality is more practical than this. I'm really looking forward to the HoloLens.

I'm interested in their application in treating mental illnesses and phobias. They also have a lot of potential educational possibilities that are relatively unexplored because so much of the focus is on gaming.

Still think that augmented reality is more practical than this. I'm really looking forward to the HoloLens.

PTSD is another big one. Before starting Oculus, Palmer was building HMDs for a university doing research on VR as a PTSD treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been remiss in updating, and some fairly big articles have happened.

Ars' Vive Review:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/htc-vive-review-you-can-now-buy-your-own-holodeck-simulator-v-1-0/

IGN's Vive Review: (gave it a 9.3)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/07/htc-vive-review?page=1

Ars' Headset Showdown article on Oculus vs. Vive:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/the-ars-vr-headset-showdown-oculus-rift-vs-htc-vive/

And finally, an article covering potential data collection by Facebook from Oculus users:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/04/oculus-brings-real-and-pervasive-data-mining-to-virtual-reality/

On ^^, for what it's worth, I read somewhere (can't find it atm) that someone actually looked at outgoing data, and it was really benign, and not actually all that invasive.  However, it does appear they could get more data based on their user terms.

I also don't know what the Vive collects.  Could be just as bad, but haven't seen anything on that.

Got one of these and so far I HATE it. It's supposed to be Droid compatible, but the opening isn't quite enough for my S6 to slide through, and the spring mechanism on the sliding tray keeps turning off my phone.

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting one, but I just don't want to jump into VR with half-baked tech.  I can appreciate what it's supposed to go, but my phone, and most phones generally for that matter, were not designed with VR in mind.  Samsung's VR gear I could maybe talk myself into as an entry-level thing, but it's seemingly the only smartphone tech that's been made with VR in mind.

This launch for Oculus and Vive have to be the worst ways to introduce a product into a market I've seen in quite a long time. Pre-orders not being fulfilled. No timetable on when they will be fulfilled. Bad customer service. Sony is going to sell the most units, with the worst tech, just because they've manufactured and sold products before and know what the hell they're doing. 

Archived