Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Giants...lol

BornaSkinsFan83

I was looking at stats this morning. As a Penn State fan, I loved watching Barkley and hated it when the Giants drafted him.  After four games...yes, I'm doing some projecting, but despite the O-Line, he's shaping up to have one of the best rookie RB seasons of all time.

I found a USA Today article that listed the Top 20 Rookie RB seasons in history, and sure, it's their opinion, but at least they had stats.  These were the top 3:

3. Barry Sanders, 1,470 yards, 14 TDs, 24 catches, 282 yards, 0 TD

2. Ezekiel Elliot, 1,631 yards, 15 TDs, 32 catches, 363 yards, 1 TD

1. Edgerrin James, 1,553 yards, 13 TDs, 62 catches, 586 yards, 3 TDs

So we're only four games in, and I know, injuries, projecting, etc.  Still, at the moment, Barkley has 260 yards rushing and 3 TDs, which would project to a relatively pedestrian 1,040 yards, though the 12 TDs are nice.  However, because of the crappy O-line and Eli Manning having to fear for his life, Barkley is also a frequent receiving target.  At the moment, he's on pace for 104 receptions and almost 800 yards receiving.

So combined, even with the crappy O-line, he's still arguably on pace for a Top 5 rookie RB season historically.  If the Giants ever get their big boys figured out, I'll hate facing him twice a year for as long as his career lasts.  I very much hate the fact that he's wearing Giants blue, because I wanted to be able to root for him in the pros.

3 hours ago, Forehead said:

I was looking at stats this morning. As a Penn State fan, I loved watching Barkley and hated it when the Giants drafted him.  After four games...yes, I'm doing some projecting, but despite the O-Line, he's shaping up to have one of the best rookie RB seasons of all time.

I found a USA Today article that listed the Top 20 Rookie RB seasons in history, and sure, it's their opinion, but at least they had stats.  These were the top 3:

3. Barry Sanders, 1,470 yards, 14 TDs, 24 catches, 282 yards, 0 TD

2. Ezekiel Elliot, 1,631 yards, 15 TDs, 32 catches, 363 yards, 1 TD

1. Edgerrin James, 1,553 yards, 13 TDs, 62 catches, 586 yards, 3 TDs

So we're only four games in, and I know, injuries, projecting, etc.  Still, at the moment, Barkley has 260 yards rushing and 3 TDs, which would project to a relatively pedestrian 1,040 yards, though the 12 TDs are nice.  However, because of the crappy O-line and Eli Manning having to fear for his life, Barkley is also a frequent receiving target.  At the moment, he's on pace for 104 receptions and almost 800 yards receiving.

So combined, even with the crappy O-line, he's still arguably on pace for a Top 5 rookie RB season historically.  If the Giants ever get their big boys figured out, I'll hate facing him twice a year for as long as his career lasts.  I very much hate the fact that he's wearing Giants blue, because I wanted to be able to root for him in the pros.

Yeah it's gonna suck, on a micro level. That team is a walking ponzi scheme though, so it probably won't truly suck for a few years, post Eli. That man is going out like a Shakespearean tragedy

44 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah it's gonna suck, on a micro level. That team is a walking ponzi scheme though, so it probably won't truly suck for a few years, post Eli. That man is going out like a Shakespearean tragedy

The other thing about it is, because Eli has no time and can't find OBJ, he frequently checks down.  I think between the rushing and receiving, Barkley is averaging 21 touches a game, I think he's on pace for 332.  Note, I got a stat wrong above, he's on pace for 108 receptions at this rate.

What's bad is I remember reading an article, did a study on RB touches and injuries, and I can't remember if the line was 300, or somewhere in the early-low 300's, where a RB would have a statistically significant chance of a major injury in the next two seasons.  I might be getting the numbers slightly wrong, but it was something like that.  Continuing with the Penn State theme, I remember that one season where Larry Johnson had over 400 touches, then fought injuries for the next 3-4 years and was out of the league.

I don't want the Giants to have success, but I like Barkley, and I';m afraid his career will get cut short playing for that ****show.

• Like 1

Yeah it happens to everyone. At least with Marshall Faulk he was exiting his prime when he started to break down iirc. Edge got it right out of the gate his first few years. LT broke down as well. Already seen it with David Johnson. Le Veon Bell is waiting for his own payday because he probably sees Joe Black every time he goes for his morning run. In today's NFL especially, that kind of workload is suicide.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

6 hours ago, Xameil said:

Where were all you mother****ers when I was arguing about need for OLine over RB due to wear and tear injuries? 

****s...?

Ay, if it weren't for the fact that (lately) I'm Punxsutawney Phil when it comes to everything not the Tailgate, I might have agreed with you.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:21 AM, Xameil said:

I could bring the OLine or stud RB conversation up again...but I wont do that ?

How many new starters they get last offseason?  Gotta expect they'll do that again and again until they get that right.  I remember when they had a perpetual dominant d-line, Reese isn't there anymore, but I got my eyes open, they arent' an incompetent franchise.  I stand by that pick, there's no way they coulda fixed that line in one year anyway.  At this rate they are going to have another top 5 pick anyway.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

How many new starters they get last offseason?  Gotta expect they'll do that again and again until they get that right.  I remember when they had a perpetual dominant d-line, Reese isn't there anymore, but I got my eyes open, they arent' an incompetent franchise.  I stand by that pick, there's no way they coulda fixed that line in one year anyway.  At this rate they are going to have another top 5 pick anyway.

Lol you keep holding onto that...lol

4 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Lol you keep holding onto that...lol

:806: they are worse then I thought they were, so doubling down on BPA.  It really sucks for them because I don't think Eli is done, but he can't help them if he's on his back like that.  They won't get that fixed before he is done, buy Barkley will.  I can see them being stupid and drafting a QB this offseason, Nah, left Eli take those lumps until that oline looks better, draft a legit LT.  They thought they were closer then they were they should've traded OBJ instead of giving him an extension, he's going to lose his mind up there now.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

:806: they are worse then I thought they were, so doubling down on BPA.  It really sucks for them because I don't think Eli is done, but he can't help them if he's on his back like that.  They won't get that fixed before he is done, buy Barkley will.  I can see them being stupid and drafting a QB this offseason, Nah, left Eli take those lumps until that oline looks better, draft a legit LT.  They thought they were closer then they were they should've traded OBJ instead of giving him an extension, he's going to lose his mind up there now.

Problem is they pretty much ignored the line for so long they would not have fixed it in 1 draft, but by the time they fix it, their whiney new RB will be broken

Just now, Xameil said:

Problem is they pretty much ignored the line for so long they would not have fixed it in 1 draft, but by the time they fix it, their whiney new RB will be broken

I don't know about that one, that dude is built like a brick **** house.  If they don't get it figured out by time his rookie contract ends, yea, ill agree with you, asking for it.  Ya, Vikings are only team I can remember coming in with 5 new starters on the line and it not backfiring, they don't look like a front office that can come close to that right now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000971922/article/giants-to-part-ways-with-ereck-flowers-by-tuesday

Interesting to see them moving away from the guy.

The guy they rushed to a few years ago in the draft after we took Brandon Scherff. I thought at the time being that it was a panic move from their FO and a really bad pick.

History proves me right.

• Like 1