Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you know about Pergo laminate or vinyl flooring?

grego

Last night, I bought 25 cases of Pergo laminate flooring from Ollies outlet. Its described as Sag Harbor Hickory, 8mm thick, product number LF 000837. I get an amazing deal on it- just over $500 for about 500 square feet (after my 15% discount). Got some separate padding too.

I get home and start to check on customer reviews. I realize I can't find any indication that Pergo ever actually made this product. Of course it's got the Pergo name all over it and looks official, but I'm finding nothing online.

Add to that the fact that recent customer reviews of Pergo flooring are less than stellar - stories about floors warping and scratching within weeks, notifying Pergo, and Pergo blaming the customer and washing their hands of it. Lots of them. So much for a warranty.

I'm thinking 2 things. The product is a cheap knock off, not made by Pergo or any affiliate. Or, it's something they made, them realized was junk, then sold it off to places like Ollies.

Pergo customer service hours don't include weekends, so I'll have to call Monday to get any explanation from them.

Anybody have any insight or experience with this?

Also, I have three dogs - one is a large, spazzy puppy. Another is a Jack Russell. I want something durable and scratch resistant. Is vinyl flooring an option?

We bought and installed vinyl floors ourselves for our unfinished basement. Had contractors do a bare bones finish, and we did the rest. 59 cent Sq ft lol. This is most likely our forever house, so we weren't worried about resale when buying cheapest of the cheap vinyl flooring when the maon floor and upstairs are entitely hardwood lol.

Took us about 3 days to install. Works great for the dogs (they'll never be able to scratch the surfaces), easy to sweep/mop, durable as hech. Wife runs over the floors with a dust mop once a week. They look pretty good. We got the peel and stick glue kind so it was super easy to install. Bought a $30 cutter to measure and cut pieces for the walls and corners. The boxes were heavy as hell.

For that price what's the problem? It's fine

I hear ya. The price is right, but if it starts warping and gapping in a month, like some people are claiming, it's not a good deal. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for something more durable.

Have used Per go and similar products. They are great for what they're designed for...wood look, better price and durability.

Big thing with laminates is to get biggest thickness you can afford, 8mm is not bad. Other thing is to make sure the subfloor is as level as it can be. Both these factors, thickness and leveling, will help keep laminates from buckling and warping.

Also, if you haven't already planned to, I would highly suggest installing new 1/4 round over it after laying. That way you can get it as tight as possible to reduce floor movement.

Hope this helps.

If you've got the cash, you can anything you want built in China, and have anybody's name put on it. So if it turns out to be counterfeit Pergo, then the odds that formaldehyde might be a problem go up (I'm probably not giving Ollies enough credit here). 

A few years ago, some friends of mine put some vinyl flooring down in their busy restaurant. I think it looked good for about a month, but it either wasn't cared for properly, or it was just was never suited for the heavy traffic. 

I hear ya. The price is right, but if it starts warping and gapping in a month, like some people are claiming, it's not a good deal. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for something more durable.

Can you contact the manufacturer? If it is pergo brand I'm sure it's fine

Also, cannot stress following installation instructions exactly. YouTube has some great videos

Also, if you haven't already planned to, I would highly suggest installing new 1/4 round over it after laying. That way you can get it as tight as possible to reduce floor movement.

Hope this helps.

What's 1/4 round? The molding?

If you've got the cash, you can anything you want built in China, and have anybody's name put on it. So if it turns out to be counterfeit Pergo, then the odds that formaldehyde might be a problem go up (I'm probably not giving Ollies enough credit here).

The label says it's made in "Canada with content from North America and Europe.....phase 2 compliant for formaldehyde"

I don't know if it's counterfeit, but I'm still puzzled as to why it doesn't appear to have ever been made by Pergo.

Can you contact the manufacturer? If it is pergo brand I'm sure it's fine

Also, cannot stress following installation instructions exactly. YouTube has some great videos

Not on weekends. I will call Monday. Even though I'm returning it, I'm curious to hear what they say about it.

BTW, forgot to mention, if you Google the description and product number in the op, you get a ton of results in what I believe is Chinese.

Hmmmmmmm

Shoe mold would be better imo. Also be aware of the reviews on this stuff,(and any other stuff for that matter).  In this case the negative. I took  some time and read a couple of review sites and found a lot of diyers wanting to blame anything but themselves for the problems. A lot of the "symptoms" they described screamed poor installation. That's not to say one doesn't need to keep a sharp eye on the positive ones as well. :)  I've been as guilty as the next person on what I call an impulse buy like this. Price was right and it looked good. Then I went back and looked up what I bought. Bass ackwards way to do it sometimes,but hey,it happens. The brand is sold all over the place and I've seen it in some local places as well,so that could be a good sign too. Hopefully this works out and you'll be happy with the result. 

Have done many different types of flooring. Real hardwood is fine if the finish is hard, like lacquer or polyurethane. Laminate works well too, as long as it's installed properly. The big thing is making sure each joint is tight and sealed properly. Allow the floor to float, and you should not nail the molding to the laminate.

Archived