Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Arrogant offseason approach has Cowboys at bottom of NFC

HapHaszard

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4748040/arrogant-offseason-approach-has-cowboys-at-bottom-of-nfc

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys find themselves in last place in the NFC East and tied for the worst record in the NFC because they took an arrogant approach to the offseason.

It was easy to do because they finished 12-4 and won the division behind the game’s best offensive line in 2014. DeMarco Murray produced a franchise-record 1,845 rushing yards and Tony Romo had never played better when it mattered most.

And that’s why they believed their own hype.

click on the link for more

I don't like the Cowboys.

But...this is a terrible article. The Cowboys are last in the division because they lost their starting QB for many games.  Colts, Ravens come to mind as other teams having this issue.  VERY rarely can you win in this league with a back-up QB, because there aren't enough STARTERS, much less back-ups.  Back-up QB should be expected to finish games, maybe make a start or two, and that's about all you can expect of them?

As much as JJ is an idiot, I think his GM-manship has actually does a decent-to-good job.  Their defense is good, they've got playmakers at TE & WR and their OL is much better than average.  Unfortunately for them, they are getting ready to join the Eagles (and previously the Skins) in the search-for-QB hunt which always defines who are the good teams and who are the other 1/2 of the league. 

Yea, any article (or media head) regarding the cowboys this season ridiculing their RB situation as it pertains to their record and "getting what they deserved" are quite simply the ultimate in hypocrisy.

All we hear in the media is about how RBs are devalued and bad investments in team building and so on, but then they skewer the cowboys for not retaining the RB that was given a 40 mil contract after one good year.  Sort of hilarious given how consistently opposite the media has been about both these subjects over a large sample size (one being a few years now and the other this whole season).

And, to take Tony's injury as truth, paying demarco 40 mil wouldn't have salvaged this season necessarily because if we are going to blame the cowboys for the winnable games they gave up by letting demarco go before romo came back the first time, how about this second time?  Romo played in what, 4 games this whole season,  I don't think demarco would be pulling an AD (yes adrian peterson's nickname was "all day" not AP his initials, I hate when I hear it in the media incorrectly) and leading the team to a 10-6 record with romo having gotten injured this second time.  I highly doubt demarco would have been the difference in beating the Packers.

Stupid critiques. 

I also just noticed who wrote this.  He's been having some issues in his relationship with the cowboys this season so it's no surprise he included "arrogant" in his title for this article.  He must not mind burning some potential bridges right this second. 

I don't like the Cowboys.

But...this is a terrible article. The Cowboys are last in the division because they lost their starting QB for many games.  Colts, Ravens come to mind as other teams having this issue.  VERY rarely can you win in this league with a back-up QB, because there aren't enough STARTERS, much less back-ups.  Back-up QB should be expected to finish games, maybe make a start or two, and that's about all you can expect of them?

As much as JJ is an idiot, I think his GM-manship has actually does a decent-to-good job.  Their defense is good, they've got playmakers at TE & WR and their OL is much better than average.  Unfortunately for them, they are getting ready to join the Eagles (and previously the Skins) in the search-for-QB hunt which always defines who are the good teams and who are the other 1/2 of the league. 

Don't agree.

They are last in the division because they made some bad decisions based on the "success" of their decisions last year. That's part of the arrogance this article speaks of. They should have looked at themselves as more lucky than good.

Here is what the article covers underneath it's wave of B.S.

First actual thing - Weeden being the backup. "he was given a Pop Warner game plan" ... uhhh what? Talk about negative spin.

Second thing - Cassel failed as the next backup.  Somehow that speaks of arrogance in the offseason I guess (to go along with..Weeden being the backup?)

Third thing - Offensive failures are mostly due to "offseason negotiating tactics" - yes, this article is claiming that the literal offseason is the cause of on the field failures, you know, as opposed to other factors like coaching, talent, execution, etc.  Nah, it's "offseason negotiating tactics" that were the cause.

There were no "negotiating tactics" anyway, which is also stupid.  Moreso that it was your run of the mill situation that happens in all sports when it's obvious that a team doesn't have the real intention of keeping a player because they know the cost is too high to retain them beyond what they feel comfortable paying.  This wasn't some "botched" situation like this guy is pretending.  

"Ignore the stats, which say the Cowboys have rushed for a 4.4 average on 346 carries and Darren McFadden has 798 yards and a 4.2 yards-per-carry average. If you’ve watched the games, you know the truth: They miss Murray -- or somebody like him."

Ok so, the whole purpose of this article actually shows that their overall running game is actually functioning well despite a complete lack of the pass game, but just ignore the stats entirely.  To what degree do they really miss murray?  This guy with the level of misinformation in this article should put his money where his mouth is and say straight up that Murray would have them in the playoffs even without romoSUCKS because that's how far he's taking this commentary without just saying it.  Typical for the media however.

"In the process, the Cowboys have found out this line isn’t so good that anyone can gain 1,300 yards running behind it. You could not convince them of that last spring."

Uh ok, so I guess the media is allowed to play dumb openly.  Ok so yea let's forget the lack of passing game which impinges on that whole 1300 yard hypothetical.  

And then his fourth and final point is that Dez isn't producing enough, yet again, I'm not sure if that would be the problem if uhh their pro bowl/all pro level QB was there. 

----------------

This whole article sort of laughs in the face of romoSUCKS since, if we took Taylor at his word, this team would be just fine without romoSUCKS if you know, they assumed his injury and had a better backup than a semi recent 1st rounder in the event of his assumed double clavicle injuries.  And then, the output being just as equal as if romoSUCKS wasn't there by Dez, and the automatic assumption that Murray without romoSUCKS would be bulldozing over people en route to a 2,500 yard season. 

----------------

Taylor could have saved a whole lot of time and hate mail (and be more correct) if he would have just said "tony romoSUCKS getting injured ruined their season" instead of having to force a bunch of things to semi connect with a click bait title. 

The headline of the article is salacious. The writer also tried to make too many points to make his main point. In doing so, he brought in opinion and other facts that weaken his argument. But he still makes some good points. One of them being that the cowboys had no backup plan for Romo. If he goes down, the season is over as we have seen. That's poor planning and it cost them his year. He's also right about Murray even if he makes a weak argument. Anyone can see the Cowboys miss him, but still not as much as he misses them. As for the Bryant offseason situation, I think he is exaggerating on that one. But I will say this. Even with Romo and Bryant in the first game of the year, the Cowboys offense didn't look that great. They didn't against Philly the next week. And the two weeks Rono was back they didn't look so hot either. They were mediocre against Miami, but they also showed if they had a mediocre offense they could beat bad teams. Then of course against a Carolina they were downright dreadful even before Romo got hurt.

Don't agree.

They are last in the division because they made some bad decisions based on the "success" of their decisions last year. That's part of the arrogance this article speaks of. They should have looked at themselves as more lucky than good.

They were a very good team last year.  Letting an oft-injured, played-out-of-his-mind-in-contract-year RB go is not arrogant, it's good money ball IMO. 

They are not in last place because of decisions they made.  They are in last place b/c the best draft pick of the Eagles this year planted Romo and busted him.  Teams can't survive losing their starting QB for long stretches, in most cases anyway. 

They were a very good team last year. Letting an oft-injured, played-out-of-his-mind-in-contract-year RB go is not arrogant, it's good money ball IMO.

They are not in last place because of decisions they made. They are in last place b/c the best draft pick of the Eagles this year planted romoSUCKS and busted him. Teams can't survive losing their starting QB for long stretches, in most cases anyway.

The most underrated player we lost this year? Orlando scandrick. People forget he was a top tier corner last year.

I call Adrian Peterson AP because those are his initials. I've heard him called All Day as well but never AD. So there

Well, in his "ask me anything" from 2013 on reddit he reiterated his preference.  I remember hearing this all the way back from when he was at oklahoma during one of those pointless ESPN specials.  Something about his dad being at a game of his for the first time I believe.  Point is his dad used to call him the "all day" thing. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1kquxw/i_am_adrian_peterson_pro_football_mvp_ask_me/

[–]the_slunk 1674 points

2 years ago 

Do you prefer AD or AP?

[–]the_adrian_peterson[S] 2708 points

2 years ago 

AD!

There's no way they could've predicted Romo and Dez going down, although article makes a good point about not having a backup QB you don't trust. If Dallas doesn't get serious about post-Romo this offseason, they'll get everything they deserve, it will be arrogance, and it will be all their fault.

the bigger problem i have with this article is that it's a preferect representation of exactly what is wrong with "sports journalism" these days.

it's a bunch of captain-hindsight bull**** where everyone is apparently oblivious of what they said earlier in the year.

This stuff NEVER comes out before it happens. No one is ever ahead of this stuff. They're always behind, and they're always telling us how obvious the result is.

Here's an absolute GEM from this guy back in August..

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/13407756/dallas-cowboys-quarterback-tony-romo-primed-best-season-yet

OH yeah... this is the same guy, praising the Cowboys for how they've built the team in the offseason...

Here's the same guy, writing about how the cowboys navigated their offseason... how they now have to face the problems "good teams" face.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/13345403/dallas-cowboys-experiencing-offseason-issues-unique-good-teams

This season, folks will be complaining that they're not winning impressively enough, which is why owner Jerry Jones said he's glad to have players such as defensive ends Greg Hardy and rookie Randy Gregory, among others, who weren't part of last year's success.

and that's just this one guy...

the cowboys were picked by many in the media to win the division.

quite a few at ESPN predicted them to be NFC Champions.

sports media people - always captain hindsight.

Archived