Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Actual Best 200 Albums List: 1950-1990

Going Commando

Yeah. Get Back, I Me Mine, and Across the Universe are all great too. Let it Be is iconic and poignant. I recognize on an objective level that the album is great. But I don't know, it just doesn't resonate with me emotionally like the other albums do. I never went through a period where I listened to it obsessively like I did with all of the other ones.

Since this thread is slowing down, I'm going to drop a bunch of suggestions at once:

105 - Aftermath - the Rolling Stones - 1967

106 - Willy and the Poor Boys - Creedence Clearwater Revival - 1969

107 - Loaded - Velvet Underground - 1971

108 - LA Woman - The Doors - 1971

109 - Raw Power - Iggy & the Stooges - 1973

110 - Trans-Europe Express - Kraftwerk - 1977

111 - Computer World - Kraftwerk - 1982

112 - Closer - Joy Division - 1980

This will probably get no love, as the album was seen as, basically silly and almost a joke by a lot of people, but I listened to beastie boys "license to ill" yesterday (twice).

Kind of surprisingly, it holds up. And, not really a bad song on the album.

Maybe not in my top 10, but honorable mention worthy.

Heavens to Poison!  I'm a hair-metal fan, my husband hates that I can go from Priest/Triumph to Ratt/Crue.

I've seen Crue 3 times over the years.

I challenge my friends to see if they can guess the next song on my phone.

Ten bucks if they can guess.

It goes from NWA, Bob Marley, Van Halen, Madonna, Biggie, Tupac, Kid Rock, Jerry Reed, Michael Jackson, Temptations, Beethoven, Crue, Bruno Mars, etc.

If it is good, I have it, Carrie Underwood to Public Enemy to Bach.

A few additions to the list:

Bach: The Goldberg Variations - Glenn Gould (1956)

BachTheGoldbergVariations-GlennGould.jpg

Arrogant, eccentric, difficult, daring, brilliant. All these attributes can be attributed to Glenn Gould, who was only 22 when he recorded this album. I'm not a card carrying classical music expert, but a bonafide Bach junkie and Gould maybe the most beloved (and controversial) interpreters of "The Old Master's" music. Gould goes at dizzying speeds through some Bach's most difficult works and the LP is a, relatively, brief 38:34. This was the album that launched Gould's celebrity and rightfully so.

Issac Hayes: Hot Buttered Soul (1969)

MI0001601184.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

On the other hand, Issac Hayes takes his dear, sweet time on this, his sophomore album. This is a break out album for the man who'd go on to record the "Theme from Shaft" and voice "Chef" for nearly a decade. Hayes' version of "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" clocks in at 18:42. The most well known version by Glen Campbell is a scant 2:42. But, Hayes' intimate, entrancing brand of soul will hook you in from the first chord.

Chicago Transit Authority: Chicago Transit Authority (1969)

chicago-transit-authority.jpg

I will never...EVER...stop championing this album. Ever.

Maybe it's because my family sort of skipped a generation and I wasn't exposed to the ear torture that was Cetera led Chicago (which only got worse, oddly enough, after he left in the '80s) but I always wince when I heard people putting down Chicago full sale because my first exposure to the band's music was through my father's copy of a best-of compilation album. He'd only listen to one track, but it's stuck with me since.

Here's a live recording of it from 1970.

This was a band that took the "big band rock" sound established by Blood, Sweat, and Tears and pushed it to new levels of musicianship and variety. This double album set the band's tone for the next 5-6 years, unafraid to explore genres and styles for the sake of creativity. This album especially has a bouquet of goodies - Question 67 and 68, South California Purples, a rocking, percussion heavy cover of I'm a Man, and an experimental, meandering 14:38 odyssey called "Liberation." The band's horn section is featured prominently and their playing is so tight, it's hard to believe they'd only been playing together for a couple years. And, of course, Terry Kath's genius is well on display as he was the soul of the band before his death 9 years later.  

Chicago doesn't suck. At least, there was a time they didn't suck. This album proves it in spades.

I find myself having to defend the band's early early body of work. I am shocked by how few people are aware of the band's first 5 to 6 albums and how the name Terry Kath has been completely obscured by time.

I hate to derail the thread on a topic I've discussed at lenght on this forum before, but it's one of those personal crusades I've taken up. For God's sake, please listen to those early Chicago albums. If all you're familiar with is the Cetera/post-Cetera era, you will be pleasantly surprised by what you hear.

When it comes to the Cult, i think "Love" is far nd away their best. 

Bt, i wouldn't put it on this list.

How about Little Feat; Feats Don't Fail Me Now.

Lowell George had funk in his soul. I my mind, their sound is unique in the rock and roll genres.

~Bang

Ive shared this in the "Friday Night YouTube" thread before, but this is the Chicago that should be remembered.

Just a m'fer of a band.

Weird that Cetera turned them into a sappy pop band, he was a hell of a bass player. Losing that driving force of power and soul of Kath would do that to you I guess though.

Ive shared this in the "Friday Night YouTube" thread before, but this is the Chicago that should be remembered.

Just a m'fer of a band.

Weird that Cetera turned them into a sappy pop band, he was a hell of a bass player. Losing that driving force of power and soul of Kath would do that to you I guess though.

True story. I'm not a huge fan of his singing voice, but the man could play a hell of a bass guitar.

Here's some more proof from the band's performance at Carnagie Hall.

Put your headphones in if you want to hear Cetera at work. Walking bass line doesn't even begin to describe. That with Kath's vocals is just pure magic. It's no wonder why Terry Kath was called the white Ray Charles.

Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones ( 1968 )

Brian Jones was fading fast, but his slide on No Expectations combined with the piano is absolutely beautiful.

The Stones were starting to shift gears here, moving from the psychedelic sort of sound they had with Have You Seen Your Mother, She's a Rainbow, etc. to a more relaxed traditional country, folk, blues direction that would carry them through the next few albums. Songs like Factory Girl and Dear Doctor are the Stones equivalents to songs like Rocky Raccoon ( White Album ), ( they have a tongue in cheek sound to them while at the same time still sounding authentic ) as the two albums were released at almost precisely the same time.

Sympathy for the Devil

No Expectations

Dear Doctor

Parachute Woman

Jigsaw Puzzle

Street Fighting Man

Prodigal Son

Stray Cat Blues

Factory Girl

Salt of the Earth

Archived