Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins versus Falcons FINAL

SkinsFanInTennessee

As I stated earlier, I thought we would need a miracle or two to win yesterday.  Well ... we got a few.  Here are are my top 5:

1.  The pass interference call against Ross.

2.  The nullification of Freeman's "going-to-the-ground" end zone TD non-catch.  

3.  The existence of a full 27 seconds remaining on clock after Atlanta's go-ahead TD.

4.  Garcon's on-his-knees sliding catch with 10 seconds to go.

5. (Tie)  Dustin's clutch 52 yd.  kick to tie score and send game into overtime.

5. (Tie)  Winning the OT coin toss.

Unfortunately, we needed at least one more!

1) The PI call was clearly correct. Yeah yeah, "b-b-but redskins don't get those calls, therefore 'miracle'." I don't care. It was the right call, therefore not a miracle. Just good execution by us.

2) They still scored a TD anyway. If anything we might've been better off having that TD stand; with all 3 TOs and almost a minute to go, maybe we would've had a shot at a TD rather than just a tying FG. If we'd held them on 4th down the following play, then you would've had a point, but we didn't, so you don't.

3) See #2.

4) Again, this is just good execution by us. Garcon has made tough catches before, including last week.

5a) More good execution, hardly a miracle. 52 yarders from strong-legged kickers are very doable in today's NFL.

5b) Lucky, sure, but 50-50 odds are not a "miracle."

After a day of refection, I can honestly say we played (much) better than I actually expected.. Falcons had a bad game, but I feel (just from watching) they weren't just tripping on their dicks, we were playing some decent ball against a good team! We were fortunate with the missed FG's and stuff, but overall we really didn't do anything "Clown like", which shouldn't be overlooked! We showed up and gave em' a good game!!  We may actually be heading in the right direction? Time will tell, but it could be worse! (ie: You guys could be Gator fans, like myself) :unsure:

One thing you have to understand is the Shanahan run game is just a proven entity, and Freeman is a beast. I think that was the difference yesterday. 

Our D will have to work on stopping the run game outside the tackles, now that it's on tape though. 

Not sure what happened to OUR run game either--seems to be trending the wrong direction recently, and I think the league has it figured out a bit, so we will need to change things up.

It would suck if our newly acquired quality at OL turned out to be just a trade between being able to pass pro and run block.

I am a bit disappointed we lost but also pleased with how we are competing. We played a Falcons team that was averaging +30 points and was actually leading for 3 quarters of the game. I think everyone except a few hardcore fans though the falcons will blow us out. We came out to defend the pass at all cost but that left Freeman to rip us a new one. Anyway, given the 2, I'd go to defending the pass than stopping the run and giving up big passing plays (like the eagles game). 

I hope our run game improves, meaning Cousins passing a bit more as teams are stacking the box. So far, I'm pleased with the direction and happy our rookies are getting game time and exposure.

Moving away from the last play in OT, this game in retrospect, should've never came down to that play.  The play-calling after Ryan's 2nd INT was absolutely atrocious.  2 runs and a screen was beyond conservative.  Not being aggressive killed them and the prevent defense that followed doomed them.  

This was a heatbreaker because we had it in our grasp. Argh.

The D played well enough to get a W. Even though they got worn down in the 2nd half, it was a valiant effort. Having ur top two corners out vs. that passing game was, wow. Funny that running the ball was key and Atl stuck to it.

The offensive execution just wasn't there. We couldn't get a run game going at all. Kirk wasn't very sharp for much of the game. Atl's Dline won the battle.

Conservative play calling bit us in the booty after the Breeland Int. a score and a two point conversion there ends the game. Gotta go for the throat when you have it.

I still like what I'm seeing from this team. Not hating watching this team play is a step in the right direction. I hope Gruden and staff start getting some of these W's, I think they've done a good job. Would be nice to have something to show for it. We just gotta keep chopping wood.

Next time I want to see 3 aggressive passes including at least one to the end zone (post late INT to end the game), versus focusing on milking the clock. Its a chip shot extra point ;) as long as we don't take a parade of sacks and penalties.

By not milking the clock as a priority, the focus remains on the task at hand, scoring. And in doing so, actually may be doing our self a favor, and leaving some time for when we inevitably get the ball back late. 

I feel only the most polished of teams can milk the clock leaving no time at all for a comeback, as they score the final nail in the coffin TD. 

I was really expecting us to get beat badly, and wouldnt have been disappointed if the expected happened.  But the defense again played great, and it ended up being disappointing because we were so close to a great win.  The defense continues to give us chances to win, which is what we need.  The issue is we cant win games if we cant score more than 19 points against high flying offenses.

If our offense scores 21 points in every game, we are 4-1 right now.

Archived