Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Sheriff encourages homeowners to shoot burglars to ‘save taxpayers money’

A Milton man was arrested Wednesday after a burglary spree in Pace, Florida.

Brandon Harris, 32, is accused of breaking into multiple homes and backyards as he ran from Santa Rosa County deputies at about 5 p.m. Wednesday, April 21.

Johnson said one homeowner shot at Harris during the burglary spree but missed. Johnson encouraged homeowners to use lethal force during break-ins to “save taxpayers money.” 

“We don’t know what homeowner — which homeowner — shot at him. I guess they think they did something wrong, which they did not,” Johnson said.

“If somebody’s breaking into your house, you’re more than welcome to shoot them in Santa Rosa County, and we prefer that you do actually. Whoever that was, you’re not in trouble. Come see us. We have a gun safety class we put on every other Saturday. If you take that, you’ll shoot a lot better, and hopefully, you’ll save taxpayers money.” 

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1

Washington County native shot during argument over a parking space outside his Texas home, police say

A Washington County native is recovering in a Dallas, Texas, hospital after allegedly being shot by a neighbor over a parking space dispute.

Irina Post told Pittsburgh’s Action News 4 her husband, Shane Post, was shot when a neighbor became angry with him after a truck he had been dropped off in was parked in the neighbor’s parking spot.

Waxahachie police confirmed in a press release that the shooting was about a parking space.

The confrontation was captured on camera.

Post, who now lives in Texas, talked to Pittsburgh’s Action News 4’s ABC affiliate, WFAA, from his ICU bed.

“The bullet is still in me,” Shane Post said.

He described the violent confrontation he experienced right outside of his Waxahachie townhome.

His wife, Irina Post said she was waiting for Shane to be dropped off by his coworker, Rudy.

“I saw them pull in, and I went, and I took the baby because she’s only 3 months old, and Rudy has never met her,” Irina Post said.

Ring doorbell footage shows Irina walking out of the house just as Shane and his coworker pulled into the open parking space, next to Shane’s.

Before Irina could approach them, she said her neighbor already had and was angrily confronting her husband.

The footage showed the two men start arguing, then moments later, the neighbor pulled a gun out of his robe pocket and shot Shane in the torso.

“He still had his gun pointed at him, and Shane was screaming, ‘stop, stop,’” Irina Post said.

Irina got between her husband and the neighbor.

“You don’t have time to process what is going on, so that was my first reaction, to protect him,” Irina Post said.

As Shane limped away, the neighbor yelled for Shane to get out of his spot.

The gunshot seriously damaged Shane’s colon, liver and kidney.

“He had all intentions of coming out there, pulling his gun, and killing me,” Shane Post said.

• Sad 1

When I visit friends in these single family home neighbors where the driveway basically fits 1 car, you can stand between the houses and touch them, and most houses park on the street… parking gets dicey and people get real angry when you park in their spot. 

i always look at them and go “public road” and walk away. They get really mad. 

• Thumb up 1

Suspect shoots man he thought was shoplifting at Gig Harbor grocery store

A suspect is in custody after he allegedly shot a man he believed was shoplifting at a Gig Harbor grocery store on Saturday night.

Gig Harbor police responded to reports of a shooting at a grocery store on the 4800 block of Point Fosdick Drive around 11:20 p.m. Saturday. When officers arrived, they found a 40-year-old man suffering from an injury to the neck. He was conscious and alert, according to the Gig Harbor Police Department (GHPD).

A 70-year-old man identified himself as the shooter and immediately cooperated with officers, according to the GHPD. Officers took a 9mm handgun from the suspect.

Witnesses to the incident told police the suspect confronted the victim as he was exiting the store with merchandise. The suspect wrongly believed the victim was stealing the items and blocked the exit with his grocery cart and his body.

A fight broke out between the two men and the suspect brought out a handgun, firing it at least twice at the victim. One shot appeared to strike the victim on the side of his neck. Another appeared to strike a glass door to the grocery store, police said.

North Carolina woman’s death was ‘heart-wrenching’ accident, DA says

An “ill-fated prank” led to the “tragic and heart-wrenching” North Carolina woman’s accidental death, according to District Attorney Andrew Murray.

Rachel Olivia Buchanan, 19, was shot and killed on Oct. 20, 2021, in a remote area just outside the city limits of Hendersonville by her boyfriend, Chris Shields, Jr., and a friend, according to the district attorney.

Murray said Buchanan and Shields were invited to the house of another couple, James “Jake” Barber and his fiancé Autumn Faith Nichols, to hang out.

While hanging out at the house, the two men left to go back to Buchanan and Shield’s home down the road for a phone charger, Murray said. Due to a legend around the couples’ homes of a black panther on the prowl in the area, the two men carried firearms for their own safety.

Murray said, “There is no doubt that several alleged black panther sightings had the Conservative Lan residents on edge for their safety and wellbeing.”

While the men were gone, Murray said the women, “devised an ill-fated plan to play a prank on their respective boyfriend and fiancée by secreting themselves outside the house armed with a dozen expired eggs to throw at them.”

Murray said he was told by Nichols that when they heard the men returning, she squatted to the ground to hide while Buchanan bent over from the waist to shrink. Nichols reported that she passed gas which caused both of the women to start laughing. The men, who were positioned above the women hiding, heard the laughter but perceived it as growling and sticks breaking down.

“Both [men] also saw a dark figure and perceived the figure to be a threat. Both men proceeded to fire multiple rounds in the direction of the shadowy figure that they believed had growled and was moving,” Murray said.

According to Murray, after multiple rounds were fired, they heard Nichols screaming for help. Both men immediately dropped their guns and ran to help. They found Buchanan laying on the ground and unresponsive with multiple gunshot wounds. 

Cleveland firefighter arrested, charged with voluntary manslaughter

A Cleveland firefighter was arrested and charged with a first-degree felony after an accidental shooting that occurred last week.

Kevin MCarthy, 25, called Willoughby police on April 14 at 8:16 p.m. saying that he accidentally shot and killed 25-year-old Christian Kilburg, his roommate, in an apartment complex on Grove Street in Willoughby, according to a news release.

McCarthy admitted to accidentally discharging his gun, shooting Kilburg in the head and killing him in a 911 call.

“I can’t believe this happened,” McCarthy said to dispatchers while waiting for police to arrive. “I was going to kill myself.”

McCarthy said to police that he was involved in what was described to be a “loud conversation” in the parking lot 30 minutes prior to the shooting, according to court records.

Court documents also state that a neighbor reported an individual, who she believed was McCarthy, had an “aggressive demeanor” during the argument.

McCarthy admitted to police during the initial investigation and during the 911 call that him and Kilburg were jokingly pulling guns on each other while seated on the couch in the apartment, according to court documents.

Court: California’s under-21 gun restrictions unconstitutional

A U.S. appeals court ruled Wednesday that California’s ban on the sale of semiautomatic weapons to adults under 21 is unconstitutional.

In a 2-1 ruling, a panel of the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Wednesday the law violates the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms and a San Diego judge should have blocked what it called “an almost total ban on semiautomatic centerfire rifles” for young adults.

“America would not exist without the heroism of the young adults who fought and died in our revolutionary army,” Judge Ryan Nelson wrote. “Today we reaffirm that our Constitution still protects the right that enabled their sacrifice: the right of young adults to keep and bear arms.”

Clearly this situation required more guns:

Freeway shooting investigation leads to road rage gunfire in Macomb County

A road rage shooting occurred while stuck in traffic due to a separate freeway shooting investigation in Macomb County.

At approximately 10:50 p.m. on Thursday, Michigan State Police was notified about a road rage incident that turned into a shooting on eastbound I-696 Freeway near Couzens Avenue.

The caller reportedly drove home after the incident and that's when they called the police.

Further investigation revealed that while the caller was in stop-and-go traffic due to a freeway closure from an earlier shooting incident, they got into an altercation with another driver.

According to authorities, the suspect in the other vehicle brandished a firearm and then shot one or possibly two rounds out of his passenger side window into the victim’s rear window, shattering it.

The suspect then drove to the right shoulder and fled the scene.

2 dead, 3 hurt in shooting at Houston flea market

Two people are dead and three others are hurt from a shooting at a Houston flea market, where thousands of people were shopping on a busy Sunday, the Harris County Sheriff's Office said.

The shooting appeared to stem from an altercation between five men, according to the sheriff's office.

Two died on scene and three men were hospitalized in critical condition, the sheriff's office said.

No innocent bystanders were hurt, authorities said.

East Hampton man, grandfather accused of manufacturing AR-15 assault rifles

An 18-year-old man and his grandfather were arrested in East Hampton for manufacturing illegal AR-15 assault rifles, police said.

Clayton Hobby, 18, and Kerry Schunk, 64, were arraigned Tuesday after state prosecutors said an arsenal of weapons and ammunition was found in their home. Police believe Hobby was the one who illegally made “ghost gun” AR-15 assault rifles.

Investigators found a few of them in various stages of assembly, including one that was converted to shoot fully automatic. In addition to the rifles, three “ghost gun” polymer handguns and approximately 1,000 rounds of ammunition were found.

AI may be searching you for guns the next time you go out in public

When Peter George saw news of the racially motivated mass-shooting at the Tops supermarket in Buffalo last weekend, he had a thought he’s often had after such tragedies.

“Could our system have stopped it?” he said. “I don’t know. But I think we could democratize security so that someone planning on hurting people can’t easily go into an unsuspecting place.”

George is chief executive of Evolv Technology, an AI-based system meant to flag weapons, “democratizing security” so that weapons can be kept out of public places without elaborate checkpoints. As U.S. gun violence like the kind seen in Buffalo increases — firearms sales reached record heights in 2020 and 2021 while the Gun Violence Archive reports 198 mass shootings since January — Evolv has become increasingly popular, used at schools, stadiums, stores and other gathering spots.

To its supporters, the system is a more effective and less obtrusive alternative to the age-old metal detector, making events both safer and more pleasant to attend. To its critics, however, Evolv’s effectiveness has hardly been proved. And it opens up a Pandora’s box of ethical issues in which convenience is paid for with RoboCop surveillance.

“The idea of a kinder, gentler metal detector is a nice solution in theory to these terrible shootings,” said Jay Stanley, senior policy analyst for the American Civil Liberties Union’s project on speech, privacy, and technology. “But do we really want to create more ways for security to invade our privacy? Do we want to turn every shopping mall or Little League game into an airport?”

Road rage victim says he followed shooter home and was shot at again

When someone fired a gun at a man’s red Mustang, he said it felt like it came out of nowhere.

“It was really random. I didn’t even expect it,” the victim, who chose not to be identified, told Channel 2′s Matt Johnson. “The fact he could have shot me,...[that] wasn’t gonna slide.”

That was when he decided not to let the shooter get away.

The victim said the incident started when someone fired at his car after being upset with how he tried to merge.

“I went to change the lanes, and the guy refused,” the man said. “He waved the gun, and then he shot it. He shouted at my car, and he hit it.”

The shooting happened near the Greenbriar Parkway offramp from Langford Parkway at around 4:30 p.m. Friday afternoon.

The man had just dropped off his 7-year-old daughter before the bullet hit right above a rear tire.

He says he quickly pulled up behind the shooter while on the phone with 911.

“I followed him. I just didn’t think he was gonna actually come to his house,” the man told Johnson.

That was when the victim said the shooter went inside and got more guns to shoot at him again but missed. “He proceeded to go in the house, get a assault rifle, or whatever it may be. And if I had to count, maybe three to four more shots.”

Gun stolen during 1970s found in middle school student's backpack

A handgun stolen from a state trooper during the 1970s was recently found in a middle school student’s backpack.

Now, Berkeley County Sheriff Duane Lewis said he is determined to find out how the gun traveled 4,600 miles from South Carolina to Alaska.

The Alaskan Highway Patrol said staff members have been digging through old files to find out who first reported the gun stolen.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives is also involved.

The ATF’s special agent in charge for the area said the gun, along with two others that were recovered, will be test-fired for ballistics evidence that will help trace its past.

But the sheriff said the blame lies squarely with the gun owners who did not secure the firearms.

Lewis said it’s yet to be determined whether charges against the gun owners will be coming, especially with a stolen gun confirmed.

Why is it that I doubt the sheriff was referring to the state trooper when he made that statement?

Responding to you here instead:

18 minutes ago, Bloodytusk said:

Aye, just because he was not successful does not mean he didnt buy people a couple seconds to run. 

This is merely a talking point for gun manufacturers. 

Him and any teacher would be outgunned and merely speed bumps. 

More guns won't make a difference that matters, this is the old Las Vegas thread, should folks shoulda jus started returning fire at the hotel windows in the middle of the night?

Seconds...seconds??? Teachers shouldn't be asked to be commandos as a price for freedom.

46 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Responding to you here instead:

This is merely a talking point for gun manufacturers. 

Him and any teacher would be outgunned and merely speed bumps. 

More guns won't make a difference that matters, this is the old Las Vegas thread, should folks shoulda jus started returning fire at the hotel windows in the middle of the night?

Seconds...seconds??? Teachers shouldn't be asked to be commandos as a price for freedom.

Deleted one love.

Edited by Bloodytusk
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I'm all for additional regulations to minimize the ease with which someone can procure the weapons generally used in these attacks and to minimize to the extent possible the lethality of them. It's extremely frustrating that we can't have the discussion because we talk about the wrong things and use words that don't mean anything.  If we use the definition of "assault weapon" as defined by the 1994 federal ban then we aren't talking about things that reduce lethality. Bayonet lugs? Flash suppressors? Folding stocks? None of those contribute to the lethality.  We need to be talking about things like muzzle velocity and exchangeable magazines. If you are passionate about gun control and preventing these tragedies then please take the time to learn. It doesn't take long. We need to regulate high velocity, semi automatic, external magazine rifles. "Assault weapons" means nothing

• Like 3

This address wasnt specific enough, no executive orders.  If he's gonna come after age limits, say that. 

I was hoping he'd announce some executive action on addressing domestic terrorists and information gathering to help get ahead of these attacks considering the resistance he's getting in Congress. Nope.

This was glorified thoughts and prayers...I know he cares, but caring hasn't changed anything.

I have two daughters now, I'm trying to process this growing feeling they will be sitting ducks by time they are ready for school as not even increased physically security for schools may get the neccesary funding from congress.  

I'll be looking into day care and physical security implementations as a requirement for signing off on them with my wife.  I'm not sure how to do this with schools outside of moving to districts with newer schools that are more likely to have some of these security features already included (and ask if they are to confrim and help decide).

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I don’t feel like that’s the reason we can’t have the discussion.

Sure... it's because blah blah blah NRA blah blah right wing nutjobs.  That strategy is working great. It's the gun control equivalent to thoughts and prayers 

Edited by Redskins Diehard

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I don’t feel like that’s the reason we can’t have the discussion.

Actually I think it is a big part of it.  People are speaking two different languages.  The people that want change don't even know what to change (broadly speaking).  It's like the deer in Kevlar comment.  I'm sure the anti- gun crowd loved it but the people who are clutching their ARs aren't claiming they need it for Kevlar-wrapped deer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Sure... it's because blah blah blah NRA blah blah right wing nutjobs.  That strategy is working great. It's the gun control equivalent to thoughts and prayers 

This is not a dialog problem, it's a money problem. 

The gun lobby is putting too much money into the GOP to get them to stop from passing laws that even some of their constituents agree with.

There's nothing left to say here until that is addressed, no actions that will slow this down will go I to effect until then.

2 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Actually I think it is a big part of it.  People are speaking two different languages.  The people that want change don't even know what to change (broadly speaking).  It's like the deer in Kevlar comment.  I'm sure the anti- gun crowd loved it but the people who are clutching their ARs aren't claiming they need it for Kevlar-wrapped deer.

You right, Congress are speaking too different languages.   

No matter what the Dems propose the GOP blocks.  Stuff too far, stuff not far enough, all of it, block block block. 

There's no way to negotiate with folks that don't want to.  It's not the common peoples job to figure this out, so what folks say on Twitter shouldn't matter as much as poll data the politicians should be acting on, which they dont.

• Like 2