Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I can't quit you babe

TheDarb

Stealy Dan? Is that a joke? I'd respect zepplin, Sabbath, Jimi, CCR, Floyd,etc, but studio musicians? Give us a break.Conn, agreed, except the 5 year part.

I mean, it's been a lot longer than five years. But the Gibbs years would have pulled anyone back in, or kept them pulled in. It's the Zorn/Shanahan/Gruden trifecta in the last 5+ years that really should have sent someone running.

I mean, it's been a lot longer than five years. But the Gibbs years would have pulled anyone back in, or kept them pulled in. It's the Zorn/Shanahan/Gruden trifecta in the last 5+ years that really should have sent someone running.

dude, I'm from Philly. I love every Philly team but football. If haven't ditched, screw everyone else. I'm a lifer.

Would have expected this thread after the season ended, not after our most encouraging offseason in a long while.

Don't gulp down the Koolaid, but what's the point of being a fan if this kind of offseason doesn't at least get your hopes up a bit? I'm not going to judge another's fandom or how he or she decides to show it--we all have a unique, strangely personal relationship with any sports team that gains our allegiance. No way to compare one person's experience as a fan to another's.

But I think you're making this decision at the wrong time, in the context of the past five years.

Same here. I think in another thread I stated I get tired of the negativity.  Have I been negative in the past and gotten so pissed, I wanted to quit my teams?  Yes. I admit it. I haven't been the best fan or poster in here the last couple of years with regards to my teams. I've acted childish and petulent about all of my teams.  I'll admit it.  But, having gone to therapy (for personal reasons) over the last year and half, I'm trying to change my ways.  I still slip up from time to time and end up making myself look foolish, but it's a work in progress.

I've said several times I'm going to give up on my teams or stop watching.  1) I never have given up on my teams. Even when they suck, my passion for sports won't allow it. I still scoreboard watch and still hold out a glimmer of hope. 2) I have turned the game off and decided to do something else with my time and I even stopped watching the games at the end of Shanahan's last year. First time I've missed games on my own volition outside of not having access to the games.

I guess I'm looking at some and saying "why bother."  If we are so terrible and you know we're going to suck, why not just stop supporting, watching and rooting for them?  Sports is supposed to be fun.  Admittedly, it has not been fun for me the last 25+ years. But I still never stop being a fan of my teams (still loyal to them) and I somehow always manage to at least try and think every season "could be" the season, even if realistically it isnt. I'll always be a Redskins, Bullets, Capitals, Orioles, United, Terps and Memphis Tigers (Ok I even root for the Mystics) for life.  I'm not switching.

Like you Conn, I'm not drinking any Koolaid. I know this is going to take time.  While I'm ready for football season, I too admittedly am not "excited" for the season like I was 20 years ago. I guess I'm just trying to "stay medium" about the whole thing until I see the results of what Scot has done. On a percentage scale, I'd say I'm 51%-49% on the excitement/not excited scale. I just figure if I don't have more of a reason to watch this year then not to watch, I may as well pack up all of my Redskin room, take the front plate off my truck and cancel my Sunday Ticket (getting it for free this year though) and find another hobby.  Like you, I'll never tell people how to be a fan or what a "real" fan is, because we are all unique in how we support our teams.

I do like the Danny Glover reference from one poster...I'm getting too old for this ****, really rings true sometimes.

TheDarb, don't let the Prick-sco's of the world get you down.  Enjoy the football experience.

Also, don't let the kids down, they need to see the consistency from you.  You can't quit, what kind of example would that be?

Greatest band ever?  I'll take these guys in '72.

<MOD EDIT DON'T QUOTE PICS>

Yes indeed without a doubt. Our beloved skins are just at the end of a 9 mile skid on a 10 mile ride.

Zeppelin? This seems appropriate (pardon the one word switch):

Been Dazed and Confused for so long it's not true.
Wanted a team, never bargained for you.
Lots of people talkin', few of them know
Soul of a team was created below.

You hurt and abuse tellin' all of your lies.
Run around sweet baby, Lord how you hypnotize.
Sweet little baby, I don't know where you've been.
Gonna love you baby, here I come again.

This is as good a place as any for me to express my admiration for fellow Redskins fans whose fandom came about after the Gibbs1 glory years.  I admire your perseverance absent any of the fading memories of excellence us slightly older farts can cling to.

Then, we were among the elite.  Now, we are the Browns, the Lions, the Cardinals, the latter day Raiders.  I have settled into that reality. Though I understand the OP, I won't be abandoning the Redskins.  But I won't have any expectations of recapturing that glory any time soon either.

I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for the coming season, and I feel the same way.  The Redskins have been and continue to be my team, but the emotional investment level has definitely dropped some.  I live in the DMV and get the games on TV for free, but if I lived elsewhere and had to pay extra to see them, I'd seriously consider not paying that money this year. 

Soul of a team was created below.

Greatest song ever there... Greatest guitar solo EVER GUARANTEED

I don't care how bad this team gets, there's no way I can keep myself from watching them play, its just ingrained in my DNA.  If a bad football team bums you out to the point of depression I would hate to see what happens when you face some real adversity.

Grab your sack and buck up, its football season.

I understand your frustration, you seem like a true Redskins fan but saying you will be back when we are competent is what I thought most people considered "fair weather fans".  

I get it though, personally I have only seen 2 playoff seasons since i have started watching the Redskins, I am younger than a lot of you...maybe that makes it better for me because I am more used to them losing or maybe it makes it worse because I have never seen them that successful.  

Though there is nothing I can do I will love this team and always hope this year is another 10-6 year out of nowhere surprising even our own fan-base.  Then when that day finally comes hope we can build on it the way we are supposed to.  If the day ever does come where we win a Superbowl, it will make it that much sweeter that I had to deal with the incompetence of the team that eventually led to success.  I mean even getting winning seasons more often than not would be fantastic.  So I am going to stick with them until that time comes, it has to eventually; during that time id prefer not to be on the outside looking in because I gave up.

I can’t quit you babe

But I think I’m gonna put you down for a little while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsmY0tFJEIE

Driving home today this great Led Zeppelin classic came on.  I think it perfectly describes where I am as a Redskins fan.  While I still have this primal love for the Redskins, I just can’t do it anymore.  I can’t muster the usual summer optimism that leads to that sinking disappointment every fall Sunday.  I can’t rearrange my fall weekend schedule around a team that will most assuredly stink again.  I can’t invest another penny into a team that is so poorly operated.  But I also can’t declare honestly that I will never be a fan of the team I have loved since I was six years old again. 

So here’s what I’m gonna do.  Seeing as I live in Florida, I’m a Sunday Ticket subscriber.  Tonight I’m calling DirecTV to cancel the subscription.  I’m telling my family not to buy me any Redskins gear as presents anymore – I refuse to support this incompetent owner in any way.  It’s not a divorce.  It’s a trial separation.  I don’t demand Dan Snyder sell the team, but I won’t invest emotionally or financially into this fiasco anymore.  At least not until there’s reason for optimism.

You build my hopes so high

And then you let me down so low

Maybe the team will change hands – and then I’ll be back.  Maybe SM is the real deal and he is able to assemble a team to be proud of in a few years – and then I’ll be back.  But I seriously doubt these things are possible.  I doubt Snyder, who is my age, will sell the team before I die.  I doubt Danny suddenly becomes a wise and prudent employer and manager.  I doubt a GM who’s a recovering alcoholic, no matter how talented, can stay off the sauce working in the toxic environment that is the Washington Redskins organization. 

So I’m stepping back.  I’ll be pulling for the team from a distance.  As the scores scroll across the bottom of the screen or are announced on the radio when I’m out enjoying my Sunday afternoon, I’ll take note of how they’re doing.  When the Skins are winning I’ll feel good for all you active fans, and when they’re (more likely) getting their asses handed to them I’ll feel bad for you. 

As I write this I’m wondering can I really do this?  Can the guy who wore a Skins sweatshirt in his first grade class picture, who cried so much when they lost Super Bowl VII that his dad promised (and delivered) a trip to the Super Bowl the next time they went (Super Bowl XVII), who ritually ate Ledo’s pizza every Sunday watching the games from 1971 through 1992 until he moved south, who has missed watching maybe 5 games in the last 44 years really break this bond?  Yes, I think I can. I think I must.  There is just no joy left in being a Redskins fan.  Only misery.  And we all know who we have to thank for that.

So goodbye fellow suffering Redskins fans.  Until there’s a reason for hope and optimism and fun and joy, I won’t be riding this train to Failville any more.  I know I’m not the first to do this, and I know I won’t be the last.  I’ve reached my limit.  All the goodwill from EBW’s and the Squire’s supurb tenures as stewards of this great institution has been used up.  I’m empty.

Do you love someone or something because they love you back?  Or do you love them because you love loving them?  If it's the former, then peace out.  If it's the latter, then you should reconsider your decision.  I know its not fun not to receive some love back (via team success) and you should definitely communicate your frustrations, but if you love because you love loving them, then nothing can every really keep you from doing so.  This isn't a business decision where you need to realize a return on your investment or you quit.  This is fandom.

Soul of our owner was created below.

Fixed if for you.

I don't care how bad this team gets, there's no way I can keep myself from watching them play, its just ingrained in my DNA. If a bad football team bums you out to the point of depression I would hate to see what happens when you face some real adversity.

Grab your sack and buck up, its football season.

Well put..

well ****IN put..

I'm telling you bro, you will regret not having Sunday ticket!

Ya I don't get it I mean I assume u r referring to the cut it off after running up to 300 I'm on to my second season and I pay $40 a month..regular bill is 60 ish.. no I don't have every single movie package maybe that's what he was saying he had all the movie packages and everything else you could watch on DirecTV including the NFL ticket and it got up to 300 but I pay a one hundred dollars a month.. I don't get it this some of these NFL ticket packages have players that jump out of the TVs or something am I missing something I get my Redskins game every single Sunday and my wife gets her Bears game and I get every other game in between

Zepplin was around for 8 short years. Hendrix was a person, not a band and also not around long. I don't know wtf prodigy is.

AC/DC has been doing it over 40 years. Nobody has been able to copy them either. I've seen 3 generations of women sitting together singing their songs. AC/DC is the most rocking band of all time.

Rush, my friend. RUSH!!!!!!!!

Archived