Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

ati was another awesome company that was king of the gaming market for a while.

Then amd bought them and they went to ****. Nvidia's been king since.

I think ATI went to **** before AMD bought them.  Nvidia was already ahead and getting bought out by AMD was probably the best thing that ATI could've hoped for at that point.

Least that's how I remembered it.

Back when my ATI Radeo X850 with an AGP interface was good enough to run CS:S on high.

• Like 1

Computer boot problem resolved and heating is kind of fixed. But this stupid monitor blacks out randomly and then I have to disconnect and reconnect the dvi cable and then it stays black. It loads but it's very dim and you can barely see anything. Then it just goes black which is kind of irritating. 

This happened occasionally when I had my old video card, now I installed a new card and then this happens again. How do I make this stop. 

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Computer boot problem resolved and heating is kind of fixed. But this stupid monitor blacks out randomly and then I have to disconnect and reconnect the dvi cable and then it stays black. It loads but it's very dim and you can barely see anything. Then it just goes black which is kind of irritating. 

This happened occasionally when I had my old video card, now I installed a new card and then this happens again. How do I make this stop. 

Does the monitor work fine on an another computer? If still dim then the backlit light is going bad or has gone bad... in that case time for a new monitor. 

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

Does the monitor work fine on an another computer? If still dim then the backlit light is going bad or has gone bad... in that case time for a new monitor. 

Seems to only happens when I alt tab between games. I fixed it by unplugging the DVI cord and leaving it out for a few minutes, then plugging it back in. Driver issue or DirectX messed up. 

Just now, ixcuincle said:

Seems to only happens when I alt tab between games. I fixed it by unplugging the DVI cord and leaving it out for a few minutes, then plugging it back in. Driver issue or DirectX messed up. 

The dim light is always a hardware issue or a poor connection. How old is your monitor? Also, why aren't you using HDMI instead if you got a new card?

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

The dim light is always a hardware issue or a poor connection. How old is your monitor? Also, why aren't you using HDMI instead if you got a new card?

Okay, I found the direct cause, which is Windows is set on 59 hertz where the game is probably 60 hertz. So you have this discrepancy. Issue was mainly through alt tabbing in game which led me to realize it was probably video card setting related so I just googled and there was a whole post about other people who had the same issue. 

Hope it's fixed now...

Just now, ixcuincle said:

Okay, I found the direct cause, which is Windows is set on 59 hertz where the game is probably 60 hertz. So you have this discrepancy. Issue was mainly through alt tabbing in game which led me to realize it was probably video card setting related so I just googled and there was a whole post about other people who had the same issue. 

Hope it's fixed now...

I figured the alt-tab was not getting to your monitor quick enough and maybe your monitor was a tad bit old or a poor connection. I usually don't mess with hertz but then again I haven't had to since I don't play games anymore...lol

On 2/22/2017 at 9:16 PM, Springfield said:

Any thoughts on the new AMD chip?

I got out of the custom PC game years ago, but as I understand, this thing is a big deal.

I'm waiting for more benchmarks to come out, but it looks like they may have a hit on their hands.  Between the Ryzen and Vega, AMD might be making quite the comeback in both CPU and GPU.

13 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I'm waiting for more benchmarks to come out, but it looks like they may have a hit on their hands.  Between the Ryzen and Vega, AMD might be making quite the comeback in both CPU and GPU.

Im surprised they're still around to be honest. Intel has had the processor market on lock down since core2s came out. I've kind of considered AMD/ATI to be the budget version of Intel/Nvidia for a while now.

Steams hardware survey doesnt give the entire story obviously, but as of Jan 2017, only 21.5% of people on steam were using an AMD processor. Only place to go is up for them. Maybe it'll push Intel a bit harder if they start seeing that market share shrink.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an offer for a Samsung Curved LED monitor 27" for $190. Price seems good—I paid $250 ish for my current display like 8 years ago. It still works well enough—but could be time for an upgrade.

Is this a good product?

Edited by Elessar78

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

I've got an offer for a Samsung Curved LED monitor 27" for $190. Price seems good—I paid $250 ish for my current display like 8 years ago. It still works well enough—but could be time for an upgrade.

Is this a good product?

What is the model number? I can't tell you if the price is good or not. But, Samsung does make good monitors so you can't go wrong with it though. 

45 minutes ago, zskins said:

What is the model number? I can't tell you if the price is good or not. But, Samsung does make good monitors so you can't go wrong with it though. 

C27F390FHN

Edited by Elessar78

What are you hoping to accomplish? 27" is fairly large for a desktop monitor. If you're not used to a large monitor close up like that it can actually be unpleasant for some people. 

If you're already used to that or know it's something you want, then disregard. 

What does it have over your current one that's working fine?

On 3/7/2017 at 7:36 PM, dfitzo53 said:

What are you hoping to accomplish? 27" is fairly large for a desktop monitor. If you're not used to a large monitor close up like that it can actually be unpleasant for some people. 

If you're already used to that or know it's something you want, then disregard. 

What does it have over your current one that's working fine?

I have a 27" iMac at work, so used to the large display. Although not curved. Just looking to upgrade, I run out of space for windows, browser, palettes etc on the small screen. I just feel that $190 is a good price for a large display like that regardless of curve, but not really sure that that's true. Just looking for feedback.

• 1 month later...

Dude, what is up with Microsoft Azure constantly changing their backup/restore process?  It would be nice to just overwrite the existing VM, but nooooo, **** has to be cute and complicated.

On 3/9/2017 at 7:25 AM, skinsmarydu said:

OK, so now Kaspersky and Firefox are telling me that ES is not secure.  Help me please cuz:hitfan:

Likely because the site is not using HTTPS.  Every time I ask about it, I get ignored, but hell, redskins.com isn't using HTTPS either, so it could be a while.

Edited by Renegade7

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Likely because the site is not using HTTPS.  Every time I ask about it, I get ignored, but hell, redskins.com isn't using HTTPS either, so it could be a while.

wow, I didn't notice this.  Apparently I have notifications blocked.  That means your login credentials are being passed in the clear?  Time to break wireshark out on some fools :D

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

wow, I didn't notice this.  Apparently I have notifications blocked.  That means your login credentials are being passed in the clear?  Time to break wireshark out on some fools :D

Sure now all you gotta do is get on the same LAN as me : )

The security with this site disturbs me, though.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Sure now all you gotta do is get on the same LAN as me : )

The security with this site disturbs me, though.

yeah.  And it's not like an SSL cert even costs any money anymore with Let's Encrypt offering a completely free Certificate Authority service.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going through it trying to keep our systems up to date and not feeling supported, and stuff like this is why.  So troubled hospital systems are still using XP and so many companies like FedEx as well aren't maintaining updates or proper backups.  This is easy stuff, they are killing us with easy stuff.  And so sick of entities like NSA holding onto these ZeroDays instead of helping patch, then when they are in the wild instead everyone is screwed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/hospitals-across-england-report-it-failure-amid-suspected-major-cyber-attack/2017/05/12/84e3dc5e-3723-11e7-b373-418f6849a004_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_britain-240pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.ae29c0b15240

Malicious software that blocks access to computers is spreading swiftly across the world, snarling critical systems in hospitals, telecommunications and corporate offices with the help of a software vulnerability originally discovered by the National Security Agency.

The reports of the malware spread began in Britain, where the National Health Service (NHS) described serious problems throughout Friday. But government officials and cybersecurity experts later described a far more extensive problem growing across the Internet, with tens of thousands of computers in dozens of nations affected. Europe, Asia and Latin America were especially hard hit.

“This is not targeted at the NHS,” British Prime Minister Theresa May told reporters. “It’s an international attack, and a number of countries and organizations have been affected.”

Edited by Renegade7