Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

For those that work in IT, specifically DBA, SQL, etc., what is a good technology to learn and/or focus on? I've been working on the client side, as an Access/VBA/MS-SQL developer. I'd like to learn some new tech, something that's in demand and will offer a good chance at a financial boost. I'm not sure if I should spend some time trying to learn T-SQL/SQL Server 2012/2014, or maybe focus on cloud technologies, etc.

Any suggestions?

Learn Linux, load a VM player on your machine, add a Linux VM, install MySQL or MongoDB.  Learn how to work in that environment.  The job as a "DBA" is in a transformational state right now as the industry moves away from traditional SQL databases.  Before starting my business I worked for one of the largest database companies in the world.  The large database companies are struggling with the move to open source and how they play in the market.

Learn Linux, load a VM player on your machine, add a Linux VM, install MySQL or MongoDB.  Learn how to work in that environment.  The job as a "DBA" is in a transformational state right now as the industry moves away from traditional SQL databases.  Before starting my business I worked for one of the largest database companies in the world.  The large database companies are struggling with the move to open source and how they play in the market.

Can't disagree. However, SQL 2012/2014/2016 is not a bad area either. Especially since the advent of SQL Always On Availability Groups. Those things are pretty awesome compared to traditional clustering. Many enterprises are moving to them for HA on their back end Windows/SQL systems.

Messaging or visualization are good areas too. If you want to swerve, you could also go over to the Cisco world and get into networking. Especially converged networks that integrate Ethernet & SAN & virtual networks such as their Nexus switches.

Edited by Zguy28

So I have a dedicated printer at work. Only I use it and I run the only Mac in the building. Everytime I update my password or I do an OS update my access drops and I have to reinstall the printer (or some other work around). Last week, I had more issues and couldn't get printer server access. Brought in IT and they couldn't resolve it either and I had some deadlines to meet. 

The short term work around was that I just hardwired the printer to my Mac via USB. IT was okay with this workaround as a short term solution. 

The printer is about 18 inches from my mac through a wall, so I asked Maintenance dept if they could drill a hole through the wall or install some kind of connection and they said they would. Today, I got a sharply worded e-mail saying that drilling a hole to bridge that 18 inches is not an acceptable solution. Like I said, I respect our IT guys, so have no problem playing by their rules. But why would not printing off the network be an issue? Is it a security issue? Control issue?

Aren't you the unique snowflake... ;) They are trying for standardization and to prevent later problems when a requirement arises for somebody else to print to it. Those are my first thoughts.

• Like 1

So I have a dedicated printer at work. Only I use it and I run the only Mac in the building. Everytime I update my password or I do an OS update my access drops and I have to reinstall the printer (or some other work around).

Just update your credentials for the printer when you change your password? I don't know where they're stored on a mac, i would guess the keychain?

Can't disagree. However, SQL 2012/2014/2016 is not a bad area either. Especially since the advent of SQL Always On Availability Groups. Those things are pretty awesome compared to traditional clustering. Many enterprises are moving to them for HA on their back end Windows/SQL systems.

Messaging or visualization are good areas too. If you want to swerve, you could also go over to the Cisco world and get into networking. Especially converged networks that integrate Ethernet & SAN & virtual networks such as their Nexus switches.

My only issue with Windows DBA's is they don't easily translate into a shop that runs databases on the various Unix platforms.  I can make my Unix DBA's Windows DBA's much more easily.  Also working from a Linux environment forces technologists to understand more of the architecture.  Windows hides a lot of things, and provides a significant margin of error for someone not as skilled.  I like to make them go all in :)

Dell to buy EMC for $67 billion in biggest tech takeover ever

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/dell-to-buy-emc-for-dollar67-billion-in-biggest-tech-takeover-ever/ar-AAfmUf4?ocid=ansmsnmoney11

As somebody who is forced to use EMC storage, I hope that Dell improves the support.

Hah! I said the same thing to my boss immediately after seeing that Dell bought them. He had a hell of time getting things working as EMC said they should. Quite the time sink for him.

Aren't you the unique snowflake... ;) They are trying for standardization and to prevent later problems when a requirement arises for somebody else to print to it. Those are my first thoughts.

What?? The only guy with a Mac feels like he needs to be treated as a unique snowflake??

:D... your answer makes sense. 

Just update your credentials for the printer when you change your password? I don't know where they're stored on a mac, i would guess the keychain?

tried that, I was in the keychain. No dice either. 

It's funny because they're at the point that they are looking it up on their smart phones in front of me. 

Hah! I said the same thing to my boss immediately after seeing that Dell bought them. He had a hell of time getting things working as EMC said they should. Quite the time sink for him.

even then they don't always work.

it's weird when your very expensive, fault tolerate systems take down an entire network when one piece dies.

the blackberry priv looks ****ing awesome and fixes what was wrong with their BBOS10 model on the passport.

Don't even get me started on EMC exponentially increasing maintenance costs over the life of their storage. We have a Pure Storage flash array and an EMC XtremIO. Comparable performance, but Pure is way better on scalability, updates, support, and maintenance costs (flat over the life of the array).

Haven't seen that specifically, but I'd spoken to a company (starlab, I think was the name) that was working on their own secure hypervisor possibly making use of Xen.

Yeah, it looks interesting from a security standpoint.

I think I'm going to grab an old laptop out of the closet at the office and put it on there and play with it... i'm curious how well it works breaking apart all the stacks like that, especially for more intense applications...

I'd rather do it myself. But since I deal with VPNs everyday I understand it's easier for me to configure than your normal person. My advice would be to never believe it's as secure as they claim it is.

The reason I specified a subscription is because a home VPN doesn't provide the anonymity that an outside VPN can. Edited by PokerPacker

why not just use tor?

tor certainly has its advantages. I haven't used it before (I did install it once a couple years back but there were some permissions issues I didn't feel like solving at the time). It is supposed to be slow due to all of the routing, so it may be less than ideal for certain applications. I'm also a little unsure of how well the privacy holds up when it reaches the gate nodes. This becomes more of a concern after reading about how people volunteer their machines to be gates, so you could have malicious people/governments volunteering gate nodes in large numbers for the purposes of snooping.

That said, I wouldn't discount the idea of a home VPN for functionality and tor for anonymity; seems like a good place to start. I'm just wondering if other privacy nuts on here might have experience with this stuff and have any opinions on the value of a good reputable VPN and if it's worth the cost versus other options.

Edited by PokerPacker