Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

*Looks in .....

Say's nottin' about the German penalty and the US girl not walking from it. Nor the US penalty that was neither inside the box nor a foul. Two MASSIVE game changing decisions. 

Hopes the Americans will never complain about poor officiating again. 

See y'all Sunday. 

Hail. 

The US penalty wasn't in the box but it certainly was a foul.  Routine call, in fact.  I'm not exactly worried about the one bad call though because it made up for the earlier miss call when Alex Morgan with the ball in the area got an arm wrapped around her mid section and another over the shoulder and was pulled off the ball.  That was a clear PK but she didn't get it because she didn't flail her arms up and scream like she'd been shot.  So the law of averages won out and the US got a deserved goal. 

German missed their PK and the refs certainly weren't aiming the kick for her.  Shame for them.  I feel no pity that a red card didn't accompany it because they got away with grappling all game, often using both hands which almost always draws whistles in soccer.  

US was clearly the better side and they advanced because of it.

It fun watching the girls out there show that they play the game with more toughness and less cowardice than the mens game.  The quality isn't as good but at least they can leave with their pride.    

• Like 2

Man do you guys get UBER defensive when it comes to America.

Exactly WHAT baring does the US girls standing have to do with two key officiating decisions having a MAJOR influence on the outcome of the game? You deserved the victory but that doesn't take away from those facts.

Geez. Over sensitive crowd.

From a completely impartial standpoint the German girl had nowhere to go and the US girl was very savvy in running into her and going down. She wasn't 'body checked.' She made the contact her self. Not to mention there was a blatant free kick to Germany on the half way line in the build up but that's neither here nor there to a penalty that never should of been. Watch that agin and ask yourself where the Hell the German girl is supposed to go.

The US girl played for it and fair play to her. It paid off.

Hail.

I'll have to watch it again, but as I remember it the defender backed into Morgan. The defender had nowhere to go because she was late and out of control. The defender can flying in backwards. She did not play the ball and clearly made contact. I don't see how the foul would even be in question.

I'll have to watch it again, but as I remember it the defender backed into Morgan. The defender had nowhere to go because she was late and out of control. The defender can flying in backwards. She did not play the ball and clearly made contact. I don't see how the foul would even be in question.

When it's up on YouTube I'll go through it with yer. 

Not because I'm arsed. America winning works for me and I'm happy for you guys. Just to set the record straight. 

Hail. 

From a completely impartial standpoint the German girl had nowhere to go and the US girl was very savvy in running into her and going down. She wasn't 'body checked.' She made the contact her self. Not to mention there was a blatant free kick to Germany on the half way line in the build up but that's neither here nor there to a penalty that never should of been. Watch that agin and ask yourself where the Hell the German girl is supposed to go. 

What?  She starts off to the US player's right and ends up, after the collision, on her left.  She came across the play, missed the ball, and cut off the run with her body.  You ask where she had to go?  To the ground is the first and most obvious answer, the second is with the ball up field.  She gambled and missed the ball while obstructing the runner.  Routine call. 

you can see the highlights, including that play, here http://www.totalsportek.com/highlights/usa-vs-germany-2015-women-world-cup/

The second foreign commentary clip is the best with the close up. She's not even looking at the American who makes the most of it having knocked it past her.

Outside the box and a very debatable foul with no intent to begin with. Not to mention there was a blatant foul on the German on half way in the build up.

'Routine call' that the Americans would quite naturally be pissed at had situations been reversed with no intent and a savvy German making the most of the situation.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

There was no intent what so ever. Save for the American girl who got what she played for. Again, where is she supposed to go?

But it's immaterial regardless as it happened outside the area.

Hail.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Where is she supposed to go? She is supposed to try and stop the ball and not the player. She was late (hence, didn't have anywhere to go) and made no effort to play the ball. If you want to argue that it should have been outside the box, you would be able to win that one. Claiming that wasn't a foul doesn't make sense to me. If she was under control she wouldn't have to worry about where she was supposed to go...

She did J. She's turned and been run into. She's not playing the player at all and there's no intent. She's not even looking at her when the contacts made. She's turning to the ball. Your girl knocks it past and runs into her as she's going nowhere with 2 more Germans there. She played for it and got it.

Man, far be it for an American to cheat on the field.

Need to add the BBC highlights when I'm home. They show the clear foul on half way in the build up too on the Germans.

Can't believe I'm defending the Germans here of all Nations but there was three bad parts of officiating in that opener and a very savvy piece of play from your girl winning a penalty that never was she played for.

I knock it past you, and subsequently run into you in a split second after you're turning to the ball with absolutely no intent and focus on me, where am I supposed to go?

Hail.

This is FIFA's Law 12 on direct free kicks. Look at the incident and straight faced tell me it warranted any of these:

Fouls and misconduct are penalised as follows:

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent  She didn't do that. 

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent Not that either. 

• jumps at an opponent Nope. 

• charges an opponent No. 

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent Nope. 

• pushes an opponent Nope. 

• tackles an opponent Nope. 

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent No. 

• spits at an opponent No. 

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area) No.

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play. 

I fully understand why it was given in normal speed. It happens so fast after she's knocked it through and run into the German (who's body shape is starting to turn clearly on the slow-mo as she's neither looking nor playing the American girl with any intent) as she's going nowhere; that I was screaming F/K on the edge of the box myself. How she construed it in the area when that was clear in normal time is beyond me. But when you see it back in slow motion, I don't understand how folk would still claim it was. At WORST you could argue it was an indirect free kick on the edge of the area under 'impedes the progress of an opponent' but even that's debatable. In no way, shape or form was that a penalty. 

But **** happens and sometimes you get away with it to the benefit of your team. 

Be happy your girl was savvy enough to win you a penalty that never was and move on. It's part and parcel of the game and happens. 

Even with (shock horror) Americans. 'Routine call' my ass. 

Hail. 

Given those rules, that other non call against the American when at least two Germans were grabbing her was ridiculous.

I'll admit I don't watch soccer/futbol enough to understand the game, but the eyeball test said the Americans were the more aggressive team, had more scoring opportunities, and executed their defense better. Both teams were awarded one penalty kick... who knows maybe the one that GHH is railing about was a make up call for the one earlier?

Given that, the better team won. I don't think Germany should feel robbed or slighted. They tried to go for the haymaker in the first ten minutes of the game, but missed and then it was almost all American domination. Frankly, France outplayed Germany too.

Edited by Burgold

Oh, no question man.

The US thoroughly deserved their victory and place in another final. But there heres two  MAJOR officiating calls that you'd feel pretty darn pissed at if you were the Germany girls that potentially changed the whole course of the game. The US girl could well of walked as the last man, or girl in this case, for the foul on the German on their penalty. And then the penalty you went in from on.

I don't see how anyone can debate that.

But regardless, good luck the final Sunday. I'll be cheering for you unless the English ladies continue their fairytale, against all odds upset run they're currently basking in. 

Hail. 

Ghh, you're trolling am American soccer thread. Go away.

I'll give you that the foul happened outside the box. Not a good call. But to sit in here and say it was a questionable foul at all is trolling.

And no way that should be a red card. They were even until the last bounce of the ball, when the German gained the advantage but even them she was not in control of the ball.

Edited by Major Harris

Man do you guys get UBER defensive when it comes to America.

Exactly WHAT baring does the US girls standing have to do with two key officiating decisions having a MAJOR influence on the outcome of the game? You deserved the victory but that doesn't take away from those facts. 

Geez. Over sensitive crowd. 

Hail. 

Not over sensitive.  I just have a problem with you using the term "lucky" as if that was the only reason they won.  Germany had their chances and didn't capitalize.  I mean, let's also look at the 2 scoring opportunities that the US missed in the 7th minute when the keeper got "lucky" and got her foot on it and later on when Morgan missed a wide open shot and kicked it right to the goalie.  I mean, I can play this game too.

But it is what it is. I think the yellow was sufficient and we got the benefit on our PK that shouldn't have been.  But the US played better all game and they weren't "lucky" to win it.  BTW, I'm rooting for England to win.  I think that would be a great final.

Gibbs you're out of your mind if you don't think that was a foul on Alex Morgan. Before I get into that, I will say this though:

- you could argue either way as to whether the Julie Johnston foul on the German PK should have been a red card. At the end of the day, it's at the refs discretion to make that determination. The U.S. May have been lucky to avoid the red, but that's how the game falls.

- the foul against Alex Morgan, while it WAS a foul, was not in the box, and not a penalty. Contact was initiated outside the box, and with that type of foul, means it's a free kick and not penalty.

As to whether it was a foul or not, it clearly was. The German player made no attempt to play the ball, and purposefully obstructs the attackers movement. Watch the video, she moved directly in the path of Morgan, prohibiting her from her run, without playing the ball. That is a textbook definition of obstruction. I can see you arguing it wasn't a PK, but to say it wasn't even a foul is just simple trolling.

At the end of the day, the Americans were the better team, and took advantage of their opportunities which Germany did not. With the way the U.S. defense is playing, I honestly cannot see Japan or England winning the final. Although, we said the same thing last World Cup final against Japan, so obviously anything can happen.

Also, since this a U.S. soccer thread as a whole, I'll add some USMNT News as well. For those U.S. Soccer fans in the DC area, it was just announced that the men's national team has a friendly against Peru scheduled for September 4th at RFK. The game lands on a FIFA approved international match day, so each club should be able to bring most of their best players. Peru is looking like a more formiddable opponent after a solid semifinal run in the copa America over the last couple weeks.

Also, DC United was in action last night in the U.S. Open cup. They faced Philadelphia on the road. Even though the U.S. were up a man for over a half, and despite being up 1-0 at half time, they ended up losing 2-1. I didn't watch the game, but from the sounds of it, it is a ridiculous way to lose. How you lose a lead to a 10 man team is beyond me. Granite, Olsen chose to play a lot of backups since this was a midweek game (resting others for league action this weekend), you should still be able to dominate play up a man. Disappointing finish, and bad way to be knocked out of the tournament.

Edited by skinsngibbs4life
  • Like 1

Also, DC United was in action last night in the U.S. Open cup. They faced Philadelphia on the road. Even though the U.S. were up a man for over a half, and despite being up 1-0 at half time, they ended up losing 2-1. I didn't watch the game, but from the sounds of it, it is a ridiculous way to lose. How you lose a lead to a 10 man team is beyond me. Granite, Olsen chose to play a lot of backups since this was a midweek game (resting others for league action this weekend), you should still be able to dominate play up a man. Disappointing finish, and bad way to be knocked out of the tournament.

US Soccer has been live-streaming games on youtube and leaving them up if you're interested in watching it.

• Like 1

*Looks in .....

Say's nottin' about the German penalty and the US girl not walking from it. Nor the US penalty that was neither inside the box nor a foul. Two MASSIVE game changing decisions.

Hopes the Americans will never complain about poor officiating again.

See y'all Sunday.

Hail.

The USA women's team just got the exact advantage that European teams get against the US men's team.

Both were terrible calls. And I can't help thinking that the ref was aware of the importance of the US making the final for $$$.

Like I said skg, you could argue it was an indirect free kick for impediment/ obstruction. But that's at best. 

All imaterial as the US progressed and honestly neither here nor there to me. Just find it amusing how I constantly read about opponents cheating American's out of things and everyones up in arms when there's a strong case that your girl played for what she ended up getting; and nobody has a problem with it as it went in the US's favour. 

Hail. 

If England prevails, FIFA should recognize the marketing opportunity and move the final to Saturday. Will be an Independence Day Revolutionary War rematch. Guaranteed US victory of course.

Maybe also consider moving the match to Yorktown battlefield?

Cmon FIFA, let's make it happen. We'll slaughter the red coat ****s.

Like I said skg, you could argue it was an indirect free kick for impediment/ obstruction. But that's at best.

All imaterial as the US progressed and honestly neither here nor there to me. Just find it amusing how I constantly read about opponents cheating American's out of things and everyones up in arms when there's a strong case that your girl played for what she ended up getting; and nobody has a problem with it as it went in the US's favour.

Hail.

Dude. Are you serious right now?

You're talking u.s. sports on a freaking American football message board....and you're complaining that we are bias towards the u.s. get outta here.

I am sure the English message boards are the bastion of unbiased sports fans.

Edited by Major Harris
  • Like 1

Exactly this is a murican pride thread if you don't like it you can mosey on out

We'll just keep gloating over shutting down the best offense in football. Breaking news : redskins have signed Jill Ellis as defensive coordinator.

So people on the other forum are whining about how Germany got cheated yesterday well I got news for you: deal with it.Gif

From a totally unbiased perspective the US was literally being mugged in the first half. German defenders were throwing them down, taking them down, Morgan got taken down, player got kneed, no call, play continues. So don't whine about officiating when the refs were biased against the US.

Were both calls questionable? Yes. It should have been red, and Morgan wasn't in the box. But who cares. Germany had their shot. It went wide left. Don't blame the officials when your all world offense, the best in the world, is SHUT THE **** DOWN. USA