Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

I'm kind of confused as to why the cop got fired that shot the guy that was destroying cars in the car dealership? There must be more to this story that I can't find anywhere...

Haven't heard that story. I would suppose that he was fired for shooting a man that was not threatening anything else besides the cars ?

Guess I have to look that one up.

• Like 1

I'm kind of confused as to why the cop got fired that shot the guy that was destroying cars in the car dealership? There must be more to this story that I can't find anywhere...

easier to fire them than deal with protests especially when the one shot is high profile....especially if the officer is a newbie

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/11/us/texas-dealership-shooting/

"This unilateral decision to enter the building and to continue the pursuit deeper into the building upon making contact with Mr. Taylor -- along with failing to communicate with fellow officers or develop an arrest plan -- created an environment of cascading consequences that produced an unrecoverable outcome," Johnson said about Miller's decision.

So clearly the cop screwed up.

yes, by going in alone he put himself at risk increasing the need to shoot the guy.

much safer to wait and let destroy and steal, the cops need to think of their job security and personal safety.

I'm sure the dealership had ins for the damages 

In addition to playing cowboy, as noted above, the cop could have used his taser to subdue the unarmed teenager, but he decided to shoot him 4 times instead.

There's TWA again, devaluing human life again.  It's sad, really.

I feel like TWA is not actually from our reality, but from a parallel one that looks a lot like the Judge Dredd universe.

I mean, jeez, the guy was fired.  The usual response to police committing violence that may or may not have been illegal is to put them on paid leave and wait until the investigation happens (we all know this because some of you guys spent the last half page arguing about paid leave in the Rohnert Park case).  Firing him demonstrates the officer's conduct rose above that grey area into the danger zone.

• Like 2

yes, by going in alone he put himself at risk increasing the need to shoot the guy.

much safer to wait and let destroy and steal, the cops need to think of their job security and personal safety.

You can't make these things up. Did you really just say that ? Key word: NEED

At least you admit the cop screwed up, for whatever reason however, you don't seem to think the cop was at fault besides breaking protocol.

How was the officer at risk when the perp was beating up insured vehicles ?

haha.

• Like 1

the NEED increases when a officer is alone in parallel to the risks

which is why police policy is to wait for backup.

a suspect rushing towards you can disarm and overpower you much easier if you are alone,which means shooting instead of tazering/batoning ect. as the margin of error narrows

he may be simply guilty of breaking protocol if self defense was needed....the officer is under no obligation to risk injury or death

Dog of war...the idiot putting his and others at risk is the one devaluing life

How was the officer at risk when the perp was beating up insured vehicles ?

haha.

beating up cars, crashing thru locked gate, crashing thru showroom wall

seems a perfectly rational fellow to chat with

• Like 1

Destroying people's livelihoods and even vandalizing the automobiles of private citizens is a really good way to get yourself shot.

capitalist

you dealers carry insurance....suck it up :P

• Like 1

That's bull****. He violated department policy by entering alone. His veteran training partner deployed his taser, and did not feel threatened enough to escalate. Yet this cop fired 3 more times after the taser was used

Come on, man. There is nothing to support here. There is nothing to support in the SF cop pulling his gun and wandering around with it in one hand at his side. ANYONE who has been trained in any firearms course knows that isn't how you act when you draw your weapon.

• Like 2

Dog of war...the idiot putting his and others at risk is the one devaluing life

So you mean the officer who discharged a deadly weapon in a situation where it clearly wasn't warranted?

You're wrong.  It's that simple.  You posts reveal your position.  You view anyone who's committed any sort of crime and could be construed as maybe a threat, however remotely, as fair game to be killed by police.

Do you really think the officer would have been fired so quickly if there'd been a legitimate threat to someone's life? Of course not, he'd be on paid leave.

Luckily, reasonable human beings, including the police chief who fired the guy, disagree with your craziness.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Like 1

There's TWA again, devaluing human life again.  It's sad, really.

Only the lives of non-police.  If he were devaluing lives across the board, then we could just execute every cop that shoots anyone, because who cares?  

Instead, he acts like not getting to be a cop anymore (for shooting and killing an unarmed person) is THE WORST THING EVER.  Not getting prosecuted for murder or manslaughter, just getting fired.

That's bull****. He violated department policy by entering alone. His veteran training partner deployed his taser, and did not feel threatened enough to escalate. Yet this cop fired 3 more times after the taser was used

Come on, man. There is nothing to support here. There is nothing to support in the SF cop pulling his gun and wandering around with it in one hand at his side. ANYONE who has been trained in any firearms course knows that isn't how you act when you draw your weapon.

his veteran training partner thought the rookie had fired his taser and yet still fired his own taser

the rookie being unaware his trainer was present vs the trainer who used his taser(which clearly demonstrates the trainer felt force was needed despite two officers present)

I'll await testimony rather than relying on the police chief's ass covering 

in the other case 

Only the lives of non-police.  If he were devaluing lives across the board, then we could just execute every cop that shoots anyone, because who cares?  

Instead, he acts like not getting to be a cop anymore (for shooting and killing an unarmed person) is THE WORST THING EVER.  Not getting prosecuted for murder or manslaughter, just getting fired.

do you have some knowledge that the officer will not face charges?

obviously not anyone with firearms training , even one that knew he was being recorded.

do you have some knowledge that the officer will not face charges?

I know that police are rarely criminally charged with on duty shootings.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/police-rarely-criminally-charged-for-on-duty-shootings-1416874955

New research by a Bowling Green State University criminologist shows that 41 officers in the U.S. were charged with either murder or manslaughter in connection with on-duty shootings over a seven-year period ending in 2011. Over that same period, the Federal Bureau of Investigation reported 2,718 justified homicides by law enforcement, an incomplete count, according to experts.

“It’s very rare that an officer gets charged with a homicide offense resulting from their on-duty conduct even though people are killed on a fairly regular basis,” said Philip Stinson, an assistant professor of criminal justice at Bowling Green who received a federal grant to study arrests of police officers. The study covers more than 6,700 cases of police officers arrested for any crime across all states.

I know that police are rarely criminally charged with on duty shootings.

because they are authorized to use deadly force not just in self defense but also as part of their duty.protecting the public.

both allowable use and expectation are greater for them than civilians.....we extend to them beyond the benefit of doubt and require proof of wrongdoing.

developing better less than lethal options would be your best way to reduce shootings by officers, of course it would then be used more than guns are now.

or ya can get folk to behave and obey .....good luck with that one

because they are authorized to use deadly force not just in self defense but also as part of their duty.protecting the public.

both allowable use and expectation are greater for them than civilians.....we extend to them beyond the benefit of doubt and require proof of wrongdoing.

developing better less than lethal options would be your best way to reduce shootings by officers, of course it would then be used more than guns are now.

or ya can get folk to behave and obey .....good luck with that one

As explained ad nauseum in this thread, they are authorized to use deadly force in certain situations but also as illustrated repeatedly in this thread, they tend to use deadly force all the ****ing time beyond those situations.  Still, as you sort of note in broken english, they rarely get charged criminally and almost never unless it has been videotaped.  The best way to reduce shooting by officers is probably for people to keep videotaping all interactions with police.

• Like 1

I'm fully in support of recordings by both parties but w/o changing the civilians actions or the weapons it ain't gonna change much.

or we can try the Baltimore PD route......write the after action reports

Whether the cop was wrong or not, and I can see the paragraphs being generated now, but what about the guy who was burglarizing the dealership.  He put himself in a situation that could result in a confrontation with the cops.  If he had not decided to break in and destroy vehicles that this dealership now has pay for (please, do you think the insurance company won't raise the rates after this).  The dealership, like any other business, has to expend time and resources to fix this criminal activity.  That would piss me off if I was a small business owner.

Reading this thread all I see, besides twa, is the cop was 100 percent wrong.  Again, I am not saying the cop did not properly handle the call and it appears he should not have fired his weapon.  But, the suspect put himself in a bad situation.

On the firing, guy was on probation so firing him was easy.  We also don't know if he was having issues, etc. and he was a 49 YOA rookie.  A little old for me.

Edit:  For the record, it would be nice for all professions be held to the same lofty standard that cops in this thread are being held too.  Like in business when you need to hire quality employees, you got to pay to get them.  If we raise their salaries enough we could start attracting higher quality people.  I mean some cops probably don't get paid that much above minimum wage looking around the country.  Just, don't reach into mine or twa's pockets if you need to raise taxes.

Edited by Fred Jones

Reading this thread all I see, besides twa, is the cop was 100 percent wrong.  Again, I am not saying the cop did not properly handle the call and it appears he should not have fired his weapon.  But, the suspect put himself in a bad situation.

This is essentially the classic rape argument.  "I'm not saying the dude wasn't wrong for raping her, but c'mon, she was asking for it."

Also employed by Stephen A. Smith to defend Ray Rice for knocking his wife out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/espn-suspends-stephen-a--smith-over-ray-rice-domestic-abuse-commentary-213719386.html

• Like 1

This is essentially the classic rape argument.  "I'm not saying the dude wasn't wrong for raping her, but c'mon, she was asking for it."

Actually, no it is not.

Don't break the law.  Respect your fellow citizens.  Treat others as you would want to be treated.

I actually find your comment offensive.  Comparing rape to some punk that broke into a dealership, destroyed property, disrespected this business and clearly didn't care because he basically waited around for the cops to arrive.  And, he acted in a confrontational manner when the cops did arrive.

Yes, the cop was wrong and should have acted differently, but don't discount this person's actions.

Edited by Fred Jones