Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 3/11/2019 at 9:13 PM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I'm probably the only person who wants to see a Hawkeye solo film.

You're not the only one.  I love him.  I've been thinking about what a Hawkeye solo film could be like, and I do think that Iron Man and Captain America movies tread a little bit on the natural ground for a Hawkeye story, so I would mix it up and do something very different.  Go back to his roots in the circus maybe and tell a very old origin story.  I would like a kind of Robin Hood style story about seeking justice in a corrupt system.  Maybe the Swordsman as the mentor/villain.  Or if that's too similar to what Captain Marvel and Winter Soldier and Ant-Man did, then the mystery format could work too.

Robin Hood movies have been so poorly done outside of the 1938 Errol Flynn classic, it would be fun if Marvel did a good one via the Hawkeye character.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2019 at 11:20 PM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I thought Brie's portrayal of Carol Danvers was spot on.

I've been thinking about this too, and I agree with you.  I'm pretty sure she based her portrayal off of DeConnick's version of the character, and she nailed it.  She had Carol's very appealing mixture of toughness and intelligence and tenderness and breezy cool.  I thought she nailed her sense of humor too.  The dry, laid back cheek.  Carol is playful and doesn't have an ego, and she is never angsty or at war with her power like many male superheroes.  Being comfortable in her own skin despite the fact that she goes through so many changes and is constantly having her memories and personality reset is a big part of the best version of the Carol Danvers character, and Brie captured that.

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

how dare you

I have a hard time distinguishing his performance from Roger Rees's in Men In Tights.

That was an abortion of a movie but I've still seen it several times, and recently too.  It's still good for campy laughs, and I have always liked Kevin Costner in spite of some of the dogs he's made.  He is an excellent actor and he came surprisingly close to making that role work even though he was utterly unsuited for the part.

• Thanks 1

I wanted to give my thoughts on Captain Marvel too now that I've seen it:

1 - I thought it was well photographed, and that there was a mixing of two distinct styles that was very clever.  First is the beautiful and heavily saturated and dystopic visual style of a Blade Runner type Sci-Fi when she is on Hala and Torfa.  Then you get the late 80's and early 90's big budget action movie style starting with the Blockbuster scene with big crane shots and panoramas and a grittier and more earth toned/monochromatic Southern California landscape.  The mimicry of this visual style is a big part of why people got such a strong sense of happy 90's nostalgia from watching the film.  It is strongly reminiscent of Terminator 2, Top Gun, and Lethal Weapon.

2 - I felt that the film was surprisingly faithful to the comics and was mostly based off the DeConnick runs.  There were key visual moments in the film that were nearly quotations of frames from her comic, like when she flew up and stared down the Kree warship.  I felt that reading the comics made the film a lot more enjoyable, perhaps even more so than with the other Marvel Studios works.  The writers and directors had good source material to work with and they knew it.  They also dropped a ton of easter eggs and moments of fan service for the comic readers.

3 - That said, there were some big/meaningful changes.  First off, it seems like MCU combines the Kree with the Spartax, and that the Kree have a much more villainous role in the MCU than they do in the comics as a result.  They set this up in GotG 2 by going with Ego as Starlord's father instead of J'Son.  Captain Marvel just kind of rolled with this direction and, rather than setting up the whole Spartax civilization/setting/characters/backstory, they used what was already there in the Kree, who worked well enough for the story.

4 - But they did drastically alter the role of the Skrull in the process.  They turned the Kree/Skrull war into a blend of the Spartax vs the Torfa refugees plot line from the amazing Higher Faster Further run (they referenced this phrase directly in the film) with elements of the Annihilation storyline from 2007.  In doing this, they turned the Skrull--some of the biggest and best villains in Marvel--into sympathetic characters and good guys.  I don't know how I feel about this.  On the one hand, the film robbed any potential Fantastic Four films from doing good Skrull story lines, which is kind of a bummer.  On the other hand, I don't really want a Secret Invasion story from the MCU.  I didn't really like several of the Brian Michael Bendis storylines from the aughts, and Secret Invasion was one of them.  And Marvel has recklessly used the Skrulls for retconning, and I would be glad if the films avoided doing the same.

5 - I liked the nod the movie gave to Kevin Smith with Stan Lee's cameo.  If you missed it, he's reading a Mallrats script and practicing his part in that film.

6 - I did think that there were some story telling issues with the movie that reminded me of some of the problems I had with Dr Strange.  The movie was fairly short and rapidly paced and they didn't spend a lot of time developing character.  I recognize that this is particularly challenging to do with Carol Danvers because she has no family and almost no memory of her past to emotionally ground her.  Thus the character of Marie Rambeau became extremely important.  But I still didn't really feel like it was enough.  I needed to feel like leading the Skrulls off to find a new world was a bigger sacrifice for Carol.

7 - Speaking of the Rambeaus, I thought using the opportunity of setting the film in the early 90's to blend Monica Rambeau with Kit Renner (Lieutenant Trouble) was very clever.  That's one of the sweetest and most grounding character dynamics for comic book version of Carol, it was a good way to work it into the film version.  They've sewn the ground for Monica's character very well, and I really look forward to her being a part of sequels.

8 - Casting Annette Benning as Mar Vell was another pretty huge change, but it made sense for the film.  It helped establish the powerful feminist theme of female mentorship the film was seeking.  Something that I felt Wonder Woman actually subverted...

9 - Lastly, about the feminism of the film: Inclusion is powerful, and it makes this film important.  It is unabashedly feminist and puts Brie Larson front and center as a leader for the cultural direction of Marvel moving forward.  I feel that this is in accord with the spirit of Marvel, which has always been at the vanguard of racial, religious, and gender inclusion.  There was a lot of that movie that passed me by but spoke directly to the female audience.  I was surprised by how moved my wife was after it was over.  She's never really been a big feminist and she tends to roll her eyes or even recoil from how shrill feminism can be.  But it really resonated with her to see Carol kick ass and defeat all of the people putting her down and trying to control her.  As a straight white male, it can be easy to take for granted how stirring and satisfying it is to see portrayals of people like you being powerful heroes.  It's cool that Marvel has started making films for other kinds of people too.

• Like 7

Dont disagree with any of that except for the comic specific stuff because I have no idea one way or the other.

I will say, you have 20+ years for the Skrull to develop from the time we last see them in the movie. Their leadership could change or a terrorist group splinters off etc. They could still have future Skrull villain stories if they wanted. 

Topically speaking, it would actually work pretty well if Carol was criticized for choosing to help them and having the message be that a small group of terrorists doesn't represent an entire race of good peaceful people. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Dont disagree with any of that except for the comic specific stuff because I have no idea one way or the other.

I will say, you have 20+ years for the Skrull to develop from the time we last see them in the movie. Their leadership could change or a terrorist group splinters off etc. They could still have future Skrull villain stories if they wanted.  

Topically speaking, it would actually work pretty well if Carol was criticized for choosing to help them and having the message be that a small group of terrorists doesn't represent an entire race of good peaceful people.  

Well, even that would be pretty different from the classic portrayals of the Skrull.  They were pretty much an enemy empire bent on conquest and territorial expansion from the get go.

The good thing about the FF is that they have a ton of good villains to work with, so they don't necessarily need Super Skrull.  You've got to do Doom anyway.  Galactus if you can.  Annihilus and Namor.  Plus a lot of really fun second tier ones like Mole Man, Molecule Man, Puppet Master, and the Frightful Four.  Puppet Master could actually make for a really great movie.  There are enough to do like 10 movies without ever using Super Skrull.

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows why they changed Chewie's name to Goose for the movie?  I liked the Top Gun reference, but are they not allowed to mention Star Wars in the MCU?

good question

wasn't even aware its original name was Chewie

c5b5cb9df978ac45542cb6b12fc09e10.png

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows why they changed Chewie's name to Goose for the movie?  I liked the Top Gun reference, but are they not allowed to mention Star Wars in the MCU?

I was wondering about the change too. I think it was to add more Top Gun. As for Star Wars, I'm pretty sure Spider-Man referenced Empire Strikes Back.

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

BTW, about that CM soundtrack, how dope was using Celebrity Skin for the end credits?  I also loved the moment they chose to use the No Doubt song.

Loved the soundtrack and how carefully chosen it was. I’m Just a Girl during the key fight and Come As You Are as Carol just starts realizing the potential of her unleashed powers and how handcuffed she’s been were the two best moments for me. 

21 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm guessing Rambeau's daughter can be used as a version of Captain Marvel or Photon if the sequel is set in modern day?

If you noticed, Rambeau's call sign on her jet was Photon, so it would make sense for her daughter to adopt this.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:52 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I think Costner is a wooden plank that has been blessed with good scripts and great co-stars. Robin Hood is a great example of the latter. It would have been a disaster but with Freeman and Rickman, it somehow kinda worked. 

Um, No Way Out? Bull Durham? Waterworld? He was terrific in those. 

And yeah, Rickman totally saves Robin Hood. You watch it basically for him. 

9 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Um, No Way Out? Bull Durham? Waterworld? He was terrific in those. 

And yeah, Rickman totally saves Robin Hood. You watch it basically for him. 

He's a wooden board in pretty much everything. He reminds of Tugg Speedman trying to cry in Tropic Thunder. He just can't get there. That's Costner for me. He's a handsome stand-in, an empty vessel that is there so good scripts and good cast members can work off him. 

I didn’t think Captain Marvel was all that good, they coulda kept the entire Cap Marvel stuff out of the Avengers IMO. I want to see the Day 1s kill Thanos. Just my opinion. It would be lame if she’s the one who takes him down. 

• Sad 1

I don't see why would they keep her out especially if she is setting up to be the vanguard of the next Avengers era with Blank Panther and I assume Spider-Man. 

I doubt she will come in and just wipe out Thanos but in Infinity War, Strange, Quill and Spider-Man had him dead to rights and nobody there was a day 1 guy except Iron Man. I wouldn't care if she did kill him but I'm sure it will be something like IW. Everybody banding together with a couple making a sacrifice somehow. 

Captain Marvel's value will come in her potential for time dilation or some possibility she learned about in her 20 years in the cosmos that will give them a path forward to returning all of those snapped. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He's a wooden board in pretty much everything. He reminds of Tugg Speedman trying to cry in Tropic Thunder. He just can't get there. That's Costner for me. He's a handsome stand-in, an empty vessel that is there so good scripts and good cast members can work off him.  

This is calumny.  To add to Mournblade's list: Dances With Wolves, Tin Cup, The Untouchables, JFK & Thirteen Days, Field of Dreams, Wyatt Earp, Open Range.  All excellent work.  He's aged well too, one of his best performances was in the fairly recent Hatfields & McCoys miniseries.

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Captain Marvel's value will come in her potential for time dilation or some possibility she learned about in her 20 years in the cosmos that will give them a path forward to returning all of those snapped.  

This is the real challenge of the movie, not killing Thanos.  They have to figure out a way to free everyone who got trapped in the soul stone.