Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

Scott Kazmir would have excited me more a decade ago when he was a highly rated prospect and not just Joe "slightly better than average."  Chen I'd have some interest in but he's already 30 and I'm not sure about paying out that kind of scratch.

I don't like paying any pitcher that kind of scratch. Frankly, I think we should be looking to model the Mets, where we find good arms and just milk them while they're young.

Frankly, I think Kazmir and Chen are almost identical. If you go by advanced metrics, Kazmir is a little better (Better FIP, higher K/9, lower HR/9). Also, Kazmir was traded in the middle of last season, so no loss of a draft pick, nor prospects.

I prefer whoever will take a 3 year contract, as that leaves us unhindered come the 2019 offseason.

@washingnats - I just learned that the #Nationals have had dialogue with 2Bs Howie Kendrick and Daniel Murphy. Either one would be a great for the club.

Murphy will be overvalued after his absurd--and wholly unrepeatable--WS run. I'd rather have Kendrick, although he doesn't exactly thrill me.

@washingnats - I just learned that the #Nationals have had dialogue with 2Bs Howie Kendrick and Daniel Murphy. Either one would be a great for the club.

Murphy/Espinosa platoon would be really good in June, after Turner is called up.

Also, Murphy has played third before, so he can backfill Rendon when he goes on the DL. Just need to keep it to a three year deal so the Nats can go on a spending spree in 2019.

The power surge in the playoffs last year was an outlier, but when he gets hot hes a doubles machine.

But he will take over for Desi in the error department. Hopefully he can clean that up.

Have to think the plan is to move Rendon to 2b. Hide Murphy at third.

Fewest Defensive Runs Saved - 2B Since 2012

Rickie Weeks -62

Daniel Murphy -40

Jose Altuve -25

Dan Uggla -20

@AndrewSimonMLB - One thing Murphy did in 2015: make contact. Career-best 7.1% K rate would easily have led #Nats, who had 5th-highest in MLB as a team.

@JamesWagnerWP - Murphy rates low defensively as 2B. Has also played 1B, 3B & LF. A much-needed LH bat, career .288 hitter & averaged 69 Ks per yr since '11.

The power surge in the playoffs last year was an outlier, but when he gets hot hes a doubles machine.

But he will take over for Desi in the error department. Hopefully he can clean that up.

ESPN Stats & Info@ESPNStatsInfo 17m17 minutes ago

Rickie Weeks -62

Daniel Murphy -40

Jose Altuve -25

Dan Uggla -20

Not a bad idea as he throws right handed.

Also, Murphy hits better away from NY, and especially away from Citi Field. You could see a slash line similar to Renton in 2014 with half the K/rate.

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo  17m17 minutes ago

Rickie Weeks -62

Daniel Murphy -40

Jose Altuve -25

Dan Uggla -20

I don't know, everything i've heard from Rizzo indicates they want Rendon at 3rd all the time

He's solid offensively but his baserunning and defense will leave yall scratching your head. Giving up a first rounder too. Not a bad move though. Would rather have him out of the east. Thought he would have ended up as a dh.

At this point, the Nationals were going to have to give up something valuable in order to get an improvement in the lineup. HOpefully someone will bite on Desmond and the Nationals will get two compensation picks.

Question is what else can the Nationals do? Maybe another pitcher, enabling to trade one of the guys they have slotted for this year's rotation? Maybe sign Span to a one year deal?

I tell you clones I'm really bummed out by this deal he's old, he can't play D, honestly I would have preferred we put Espinosa out there and put Turner at short 

This is such an unappealing deal

He hit like 8 straight postseason home runs and suddenly people think he's elite :laugh: 

WATCH OUT HE'S GOT A NLCS MVP AWARD 

HE'S A GREAT PLAYER

Edit he isn't as old as I thought he was but still I am extremely lukewarm about this deal. Whatev

I tell you clones I'm really bummed out by this deal he's old, he can't play D, honestly I would have preferred we put Espinosa out there and put Turner at short 

This is such an unappealing deal

He hit like 8 straight postseason home runs and suddenly people think he's elite :laugh: 

WATCH OUT HE'S GOT A NLCS MVP AWARD

HE'S A GREAT PLAYER

Edit he isn't as old as I thought he was but still I am extremely lukewarm about this deal. Whatev

He's not being paid like he's elite. 12.5 million for a middle infielder or third baseman isn't elite at all. It's the price for someone who is good to  very good. He hits darn well and hits better away from Citi Field. And again, left handed.

Archived