Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

Not going to persuade me he's any good based off an 8 game sample size

He isn't that good defensively

He can be erratic and what happened BEFORE his 8 game home run streak

He's meh.

He's a 2.5 WAR player. That is pretty much the definition of a good player.

He is not being paid like he's elite. He is not being paid for an 8 game home run streak. He's being paid for the totality of what he has done and the kind of player he is. And if he hits closer to his away splits than his splits in Citi field, the Nationals are getting a decent deal.

This team won 98 and 96 games with Ryan Zimmerman at third. I think they can survive Daniel Murphy. Particularly if he brings a sub 14% strikeout rate.

The power surge in the playoffs last year was an outlier, but when he gets hot hes a doubles machine.

But he will take over for Desi in the error department. Hopefully he can clean that up.

Have to think the plan is to move Rendon to 2b. Hide Murphy at third.

ESPN Stats & Info@ESPNStatsInfo 17m17 minutes ago

Fewest Defensive Runs Saved - 2B Since 2012

Rickie Weeks -62

Daniel Murphy -40

Jose Altuve -25

Dan Uggla -20

Apparently Murphy came up through the Mets system as a third baseman:

Daniel Murphy Minors Position/Games

Pos G

1B 21

2B 19

3B 201

EDIT - So I went back and found some old scouting reports. He played third in college and most of his minor league career. And he didn't move to second until 2008 when he was going to be called up and David Wright had third on lock down.

Murphy is the exact type of bat we need. High contact, low strikeouts, works every AB like its his last. Complete opposite of most of our lineup which goes down in 4 pitches or less often with a K. He's also a lefty which is nice.

And say what you will about clutch but he wasn't intimidated by big games or playing in October. He also hits extremely well at Nats Park. I mean worst comes to worst at least he won't be on the Mets hitting .300 against us 18 times a year.

He's not very good defensively but I mean, overall I still think our D in the infield will be better then last year and now we have a more consistent lefty bat in the lineup as well. AND we weaken the Mets. All around, good news.

Well he was unlikely to return to the Mets anyway plus the Mets got their infielder in Neil Walker so we'll see how that works out. The Mets aren't exactly weakened without Murphy in fact many of them had turned on him despite his postseason heroics and wanted him out 

I think this team could make the playoffs but there are still pitching and bullpen holes that need to be addressed. If Zimmerman can't stay healthy, if Rendon can't play a full year, if Taylor can't play center as well his second year, there are a bunch of holes 

Not a championship team but one that will possibly play better than last year 

Well he was unlikely to return to the Mets anyway plus the Mets got their infielder in Neil Walker so we'll see how that works out. The Mets aren't exactly weakened without Murphy in fact many of them had turned on him despite his postseason heroics and wanted him out

I think this team could make the playoffs but there are still pitching and bullpen holes that need to be addressed. If Zimmerman can't stay healthy, if Rendon can't play a full year, if Taylor can't play center as well his second year, there are a bunch of holes

Not a championship team but one that will possibly play better than last year

If Zimmerman can't stay healthy, we have Robinson.

If Rendon can't stay healthy, we have Murphy.

The only reason Taylor wouldn't play center as well as last season, would be if he,was hurt.

This team manages to dump Papelbon and replace him with a quality late inning reliever, it has as much a shot as any in the NL

It appears Desi botched this whole thing big time. Dude should've took the deal he was offered last off-season.

Thank the baseball gods he didn't.

Honestly, after the 2014 season, the Nationals offered Jordan ZImmermann a 105 million dollar extension, Desmond a 107 million dollar extension, and Fister a 75 million dollar extension.

We have, effectively, avoided a calamity that would have turned us in to the post-2011 Phillies.

If Zimmerman can't stay healthy, we have Robinson.

If Rendon can't stay healthy, we have Murphy.

The only reason Taylor wouldn't play center as well as last season, would be if he,was hurt.

This team manages to dump Papelbon and replace him with a quality late inning reliever, it has as much a shot as any in the NL

This might be the most optimistic I've ever seen you

I think "enhancing" in PED may need to be redefined. Regardless of this report and the names in it, PEDS are more prevalent and less impactful than the witch hunts have led us to believe. Everyone is taking something to play with injuries or conditions that they couldn't have played before...platlette-rich injections, cortizone shots, advil/tylenol, whatever.

Ignoring the fabricated article from Al Jazeera (the source has already recanted his allegations). Buster Olney lists those under the most pressure this year, two Nats named (Full Article: http://espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post?id=11956) :

3. Mike Rizzo, Washington Nationals general manager: Beginning with the decision to fire Matt Williams, Rizzo’s handpicked manager, rival executives have watched the moves of the Nationals this winter and looked for fingerprints of the team’s ownership, following the team’s greatly disappointing season of 2015. The pitching staff was never as dominant as the Nationals had hoped, and as the year progressed, injuries and performance issues greatly affected the lineup and the bullpen -- which led to the trade for Jonathan Papelbon and the demotion of Drew Storen. At season's end, the image of the Nationals that resonated most was that of Papelbon clutching Bryce Harper by the neck in a dugout brawl.

Harper is among the game’s best players, and with Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Anthony Rendon and now Daniel Murphy, Washington still has an excellent core of players, while competing in a league loaded with teams that are either tanking or going through full-blown, budget-slashing rebuilds. So the Nationals could bounce back.

But if they don’t, this is the way it works in baseball, as Williams knows: The manager and the GM are held responsible.

4. Stephen Strasburg, Nationals: He’s lined up to be a free agent next fall, and as a client of Scott Boras, it’s extremely unlikely that he will reach an extension with Washington before hitting the market. And given how weak the class of available pitchers will be next fall, why wouldn’t he put himself up for auction? Strasburg will turn 28 in July, and Price, Scherzer, Greinke and others can tell him that the life of an elite free-agent pitcher these days can be very lucrative.

I'm hoping we squeeze out one dominant year out of Stras and he helps carry us to a ring before he's gone.

Kind of disappointing. He was soooo good early on, I still remember that spectacular debut. It's gonna suck watching him go somewhere else and dominate the rest of his career.

I'm hoping we squeeze out one dominant year out of Stras and he helps carry us to a ring before he's gone.

Kind of disappointing. He was soooo good early on, I still remember that spectacular debut. It's gonna suck watching him go somewhere else and dominate the rest of his career.

I was at his first start (I got a thing for debuts--was also at Bryce's, among others). It was amazing. Just remember the crowd trying to figure out how many K's he had and then they flashed the 14 up on the scoreboard. The whole place just started humming like it was opening night for a Star Wars movie. That and Wall's home debut (1 reb short of a triple double in a double-OT win) are things you never forget and you always thank God you were there for

Wonder if they're after a starting caliber guy or more of a backup... Span still out there. Wonder if he'd do a 1 year deal at this point.

They have two back up caliber guys in Taylor and den Dekker. They need a starter.

I thought I read somewhere that Span has a workout scheduled for scouts/GMs after New Year. Gonna show off that he's healthy.

They have two back up caliber guys in Taylor and den Dekker. They need a starter.

I thought I read somewhere that Span has a workout scheduled for scouts/GMs after New Year. Gonna show off that he's healthy.

Taylor is borderline starter material (particularly if he improves some this year). Kinda why I was thinking Span if we can get him cheap for one year. Already have insurance behind him.

Archived