Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/details-on-jonathan-papelbons-current-no-trade-list.html

Nationals reliever Jonathan Papelbon has the right to name 17 clubs to which he cannot be traded without his consent, and ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports on this year’s list.

Papelbon can block deals to the following clubs: the Athletics, Blue Jays, Brewers, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Giants, Indians, Marlins, Orioles, Phillies, Pirates, Rangers, Rockies, Tigers, Twins, White Sox and Yankees. The league’s remaining teams can acquire the controversial veteran without his approval.

according to this, we wouldn't even need Pap to sign off on the deal

i'm not crazy about Phillips, primarily because he's another right handed bat, but if it means no more Papelbon?

make it happen!

God, if we got Phillips for that Cadre of Crap...Rizzo should be canonized

The way you worded it had me wondering.

Anyway, ESPN's blurb says the trade is agreed to in principle, Cincy is working something out to compensate Phillips for his 10-5 rights.  Said it was for "multiple minor leaguers" so our dream of shipping away Papelbon may not happen here.  I just hope they didn't give up any potential future cornerstones for a 35 year old.

Anyway, ESPN's blurb says the trade is agreed to in principle, Cincy is working something out to compensate Phillips for his 10-5 rights.  Said it was for "multiple minor leaguers" so our dream of shipping away Papelbon may not happen here.  I just hope they didn't give up any potential future cornerstones for a 35 year old.

It won't be anyone major. I could see 2nd tier players like Rafael Bautista, Severino, maybe 1 of our top 10. I would be okay with parting with Difo too.

Anyway, ESPN's blurb says the trade is agreed to in principle, Cincy is working something out to compensate Phillips for his 10-5 rights. Said it was for "multiple minor leaguers" so our dream of shipping away Papelbon may not happen here. I just hope they didn't give up any potential future cornerstones for a 35 year old.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 5m5 minutes ago

Lots of hurdles for Reds and Brandon Phillips to work out before a trade is approved. Far from a slam dunk.

Barry Svrluga ‏@barrysvrluga 6m6 minutes ago

On Brandon Phillips-to-Nats: Washington officials are awaiting word from Reds, who are responsible for convincing him to waive no-trade.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m4 minutes ago

Ken Rosenthal Retweeted Barry Svrluga

From Washington Post. Again, Phillips wants significant benefit to OK deal.

It sounds like Phillips wants more money to come to DC.

So, basically, ~20 million dollars for Trevor Gott

Update from Chelsea Janes at WaPo:

UPDATED, 10:00 am: 

The Washington Nationals and Cincinnati Reds remained in ongoing trade talks Thursday night for second baseman Brandon Phillips, according to reports, and the three-time all-star tweeted that he was in Washington.

Phillips is a 10-5 player — meaning he has 10 years of major league experience, five with the same team, and therefore cannot be traded without his consent. Multiple outlets — including FoxSports.com — reported that the framework for a trade had been agreed upon and the Nationals had flown Phillips to D.C. to persuade him to accept a trade.

According to a person familiar with the situation, the Reds would have to entice Phillips to waive his no-trade privileges, so any conversations about potential maneuvers would be between Phillips and Cincinnati. The Nationals, then, await word from Reds officials about whether or not they were able to do that.

Lol the guy is addressing tweets to DC so calm down. He's coming.

Btw, the Wale Bryce Harper song: even if you don't like the music you have to appreciate his complete dedication to ALL things DMV. I mean when was the last time you heard someone rapping about a baseball player? Let alone dedicating an entire song to him and the team?

So Phillips is the starting 2B and Turner and Espi will platoon at SS until Turner is a good enough hitter to hit full time.

Not bad, not bad at all. Big upgrade over last years Desi in all likelihood. And I think Turner will be a .300 hitter soon enough.

Now just need another OF bat. We have to assume Werth will get hurt.

So Phillips is the starting 2B and Turner and Espi will platoon at SS until Turner is a good enough hitter to hit full time.

Not bad, not bad at all. Big upgrade over last years Desi in all likelihood. And I think Turner will be a .300 hitter soon enough.

Now just need another OF bat. We have to assume Werth will get hurt.

The real upgrade in 2015 is going to be Espinosa's defense at SS rather than Desmond's 20+ errors.

From what I've heard/read, because Phillips has a NTC the Reds have to sweeten the pot for him to waive it, like pay him more money. The money would come out of their pockets, not ours(maybe we can offer to pay more but I'm not sure how it works, and not sure I'd pay more than the already $15 Mil or whatever it is we're paying for a 34+ year old).

From what I've heard/read, because Phillips has a NTC the Reds have to sweeten the pot for him to waive it, like pay him more money. The money would come out of their pockets, not ours(maybe we can offer to pay more but I'm not sure how it works, and not sure I'd pay more than the already $15 Mil or whatever it is we're paying for a 34+ year old).

As the trade stands, the Nats are on the hook for 27 million.

If the Reds have to pay Phillips more money to get him to waive his 10-5 rights, they probably want better prospects. Currently, I'd assume that the Nats are offering something in the John Simms and Raudy Read territory. If the Reds have to pay an extra 5 million, they may want something in the Vettleson/Skoal realm.

@KenRosenthal - Sources: #Nationals moving on from Phillips, pursuing other options. Kendrick could be one; a trade could be another. Murphy low priority.

Always a chance that Phillips talks could revive, but for now it appears @DatDudeBP will not be getting traded from #Reds to #Nationals.

Lol the guy is addressing tweets to DC so calm down. He's coming.

Btw, the Wale Bryce Harper song: even if you don't like the music you have to appreciate his complete dedication to ALL things DMV. I mean when was the last time you heard someone rapping about a baseball player? Let alone dedicating an entire song to him and the team?

Wale used to wear other teams gear all the time. He just recently started this type of stuff.

Brandon Phillips sought an extension to OK nats trade. With $27M/2 yrs to go, he's already overpaid. Can see why teams didn't do that.

Nats said "movin on" from Phillips, by @Ken_Rosenthal. Can't blame them. They offer contending team, dusty. But $ drive some

Brandon Phillips sought an extension to OK nats trade. With $27M/2 yrs to go, he's already overpaid. Can see why teams didn't do that.

Nats said "movin on" from Phillips, by @Ken_Rosenthal. Can't blame them. They offer contending team, dusty. But $ drive some

i didn't really want him unless it meant Pap leaving.

on to the next one

Archived