Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roberts kick returns - just why bother?

Red Cloud

A short thread this one I think...

Just tell the man:

• For punts, call fair catch for anything outside the 10 and let it go inside the 10 and hope for a touch-back.
  • For kick off's just hope the other team kicks it into the end zone and go for the touch-back.

Seriously coach, tell him not to bother.

Someone can do a better analysis than me, but I swear every time he comes out of the end zone he doesn't make it back to the 20. So, we get bad field position every time. 

If he had made a couple of TD returns I'd say fair enough, it's a trade off, most you lose, and a few you win big. But no, this is simple, they are almost all losses (not back to the 20), and there's no big win.

It's an easy thing to fix, given all the other bigger issues we have. So, would be nice to see it fixed.

even if they were usually all called back for some penalty on us, it still made for some interesting football

Lol, indeed. I used to have some hope of a kick return going somewhere, now I just wonder how far short of the 20 will it be this time...

*shrug*   I think Roberts is fine.  I think this is magnifying his bad catch-decision behind the 10.  Otherwise, he has actually been a bright spot at a position that was rock bottom dreadful for awhile...how soon we forget.  

Also don't hate on Tress Way for being told to try to run for a first down.  Let's try to only hate on the truly bad things that matter lol, we don't have to hate on EVERYTHING

Tress way is our team MVP. without his good kicking, opposing teams would score in 4 plays, instead of 7.

but then there are the occasional plays where the opposing team punt returner returns it all the way back for a TD against us. i know, not particularly the punters fault, our coverage just sucks.

Roberts has been underwhelming no doubt, but I don't think the blocking has been good at all either. It seems like by the time he catches it there are multiple defenders ready to tackle him.

Maybe we aren't coaching our guys to throw enough blocks in the back? I saw two pretty obvious ones today that helped out the Rams, especially on the one Austin took to the house.

Totally agree here too.  I have been saying for some time that I have no confidence in his kick off abilities.

As for those who are mentioning Brandon Banks.  He absolutely killed it in November playing in the CFL.  I am not a CFL guy but kept hearing his name being mentioned on the Radio.

Dude had 4 receiving TD's, a kick return and 2 punt returns for TD's in the final 5 games, including the Grey Cup.  In the Grey Cup had a 90 yard game winning punt return TD called back.  The field in Canada is suited for that little guy.

Antwaan Randle-Roberts. 

But seriously, there is a problem with scheme (and with Roberts) if he's taking the ball from the goalline and only getting to the 10. 

Just looking at Tavon Ausin and you can see how explosive and elusive he is with the ball in his hands.  We don't have that type of skill outside of Desean Jackson.  That's a MAJOR problem.  There aren't nearly enough playmakers on this roster, and coupled with the fact that ST can't get their **** together as far as blocking, it's going to be the same old mess next year unless there are big changes. 

I remember when Brandon Banks looked like a quality returner in 2010. Man that feels like a decade ago.

Guy was something else. Then he messed his knee up, and lost his explosiveness

Banks returned a punt and kickoff for a TD in the CFL this year playing for Hamilton.  He averaged 24 yards on KOs and 10.3 in PR. 

Versus Montreal in a playoff game, he returned 2 punts for a TD and had a 78 yard PR TD called back for a penalty.  He would have had 3 in that game.

In the Grey Cup, he apparently had the game winning TD on a punt return for around 80 yards, but was called back for a push in the back.  I watched the game, the push was incidental and the TD should have stood.

Shows how inept Danny Smith was. 

Yes, I know it's a different game.  They give them a 5 yard halo and the field is bigger.  

My only problem with Brandon was his fumbling.  He seems to not do that in the CFL.

Antwaan Randle-Roberts. 

But seriously, there is a problem with scheme (and with Roberts) if he's taking the ball from the goalline and only getting to the 10. 

Just looking at Tavon Ausin and you can see how explosive and elusive he is with the ball in his hands.  We don't have that type of skill outside of Desean Jackson.  That's a MAJOR problem.  There aren't nearly enough playmakers on this roster, and coupled with the fact that ST can't get their **** together as far as blocking, it's going to be the same old mess next year unless there are big changes. 

I agree. This team outside of Jackson has no elite talent. AlMO is a system RB, not gonna be very effective on his own. Garcon is just mediocre, Jordan Reed can't stay healthy. There are no bright spots on this team. At this point they could change the name and move the team to L.A. and I wouldn't care.

Totally agree here too.  I have been saying for some time that I have no confidence in his kick off abilities.

As for those who are mentioning Brandon Banks.  He absolutely killed it in November playing in the CFL.  I am not a CFL guy but kept hearing his name being mentioned on the Radio.

Dude had 4 receiving TD's, a kick return and 2 punt returns for TD's in the final 5 games, including the Grey Cup.  In the Grey Cup had a 90 yard game winning punt return TD called back.  The field in Canada is suited for that little guy.

From this year

its the CFL, everyone you play against will suck :lol: so not really surprising, since banks did play in the nfl

Not just picking on you (I know a lot of people have this week), but I'm not sure why everyone is always making fun of the CFL as if the players suck.  I've been watching all the games the last few years on NBCSN and ESPN and I think the quality is somewhere in between the NFL and College Football.  Sure, they don't have the stars that you see in the NFL, but if some took the time to watch the games, learn the strategies that they adopt based on the style of game it is, you'd see it's not a half bad league. 

I enjoy it.  I see just as good runs, passes and returns in their games as I do in the NFL.  With the bigger field, it actually makes the games a little more exciting.  And it's not all passing either.  One of the best players in the league is RB Jon Cornish for Calgary.  Dude can run the hell out of the ball.  It's not a sucky league with sucky players.  It's some pretty good football in my opinion. 

Archived