Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Mercedes E350 vs 2015 Lexus ES350

Tour of Duty

I was inspired by the two other car threads but didnt want to hi-jack.

We're buying a new car for my wife and we've narrowed it down to the 2013 Mercedes E350 with 25k miles on it. Or a brand new 2015 Lexus Es350. We've looked at a pre-owned GS350 and brand new Caddilac CTS as well and the Mercedes and ES were her favorites.

The Mercedes comes with a 4 year or 50k mile (whichever comes first) factory warranty (from the original date of purchase) then an extra year with unlimited miles.

I've talked the ES down to $35,000 and I've seen multiple certified Mercedes for roughly $33,000 - $39,000.

The mercedes brand new was $53,000 so getting it for almost $20k less two years pre-owned seems like a good idea, but then again theres probably a reason they depreciate so quickly? It also might be because they changed the body style for 2014 so it made the 2013 drop in price. I've heard horror stories about them after the warranties expire, so I'm a bit hessitant.

She wont be putting too many miles on it maybe 10k-12k a year.

She likes the Mercedes slightly more, but if it is going to cause us too many headaches down the road she would prefer the Lexus.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either of these two vehicles. Or similar models.

Thanks.

I'm a fan of Lexus. A (used) Lexus 350 was on our shortlist. Once again, Lexus is tops in long-term reliability and, IMO, nicer interior materials than Mercedes. I've always loved the way the Cadillac CTS looked. Not big on Mercedes—when I'm in Germany or France for work and all the cabs we take are Mercedes. Kinda ruined it for me. In the CR study in the latest issue, Mercedes ranked low in long-term reliability. 

I can help with this. 

Chipwich: luxury vehicles don't make any financial sense but buying new is the worst thing you can do this side of leasing.

Zoony: which one can you pay cash for? 

Everyone else: just get whichever one your wife likes better. Happy wife, happy life, etc etc

There I saved ES a lot of time in this thread. 

PS- Japanese > German for reliability. Go for the Lexus. 

We had a loaner 2014 E350 from the dealer just a few weeks ago for 6 days.  it was okay.  good pickup, decent sound system, not great gas mileage.  if I were you I'd go with the Lexus.  They're literally the Toyotas of luxury cars when it comes to reliability.

Not that you're asking for opinions, but if she's open to a "mid-level" nice car, I'd take out the E350 from the trio of options and replace with a Volkswagen CC.  Wife likes our 2011 CC more than the brand new 2014 loaner E3350 Benz we had.  its coumfy, 4-cylinder turbo is amazing on gas yet zippy as ****, and its kinda sporty looking.  the newer model CCs are really sexy.

Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah we'll probably end up with the Lexus. We did like the interior of the mercedes more, but with the lexus it'll be brand new and we're planning on keeping the car for 7-8 years so I'll just have more peice of mind with the Lexus.

Opinions are welcome. I never thought to look into cadillac and that was actually one of my favorites that she drove. She just didnt like it because it was too "masculine" for her. I'll tell her to check out the VWCC and see how she likes it.

How is your experience with the tourags, any good?

It is literally the same as a Dodge Caravan. Except it's european so when it breaks its a lot more expensive.

In case anyone was wondering, my opinion of Chrysler (Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth, etc) is very low.

Well Toyota makes Lexus...so I can see why it's petty reliable...I'd definitely go Lexus though...but man go get the f series :P

The IS is a sharp car, inside and out.

I can help with this. 

Chipwich: luxury vehicles don't make any financial sense but buying new is the worst thing you can do this side of leasing.

Zoony: which one can you pay cash for? 

Everyone else: just get whichever one your wife likes better. Happy wife, happy life, etc etc

There I saved ES a lot of time in this thread. 

PS- Japanese > German for reliability. Go for the Lexus. 

LOL well considering I drive a luxury vehicle that I bought and paid for.

For my wife, I went with an Acura.

For this thread, I stick with what I did with my wife and go Japanese.  The Lexus should last forever and have low maintenance issues.

For reference, my father drives an E-350.  It's been a good car but repairs are expensive.  He has about 135K miles on it, bought it new.  (Didn't lease it ;) )

Well Toyota makes Lexus...so I can see why it's petty reliable...I'd definitely go Lexus though...but man go get the f series :P

Acura is Honda's luxury line and, surprisingly, the Hondas score better in reliability than Acuras by a several places. It doesn't make sense since they are built on the same platform.

Acura is Honda's luxury line and, surprisingly, the Hondas score better in reliability than Acuras by a several places. It doesn't make sense since they are built on the same platform.

That depends on the vehicle, or the report.  Some have Acura higher, some have Honda higher, some have them neck and neck.  I am surprised they are different as Acuras I have owned have the Honda emblemed engine in them.

Glad to see this thread, I was actually considering starting a similar one. I'm at the very early stages of purchasing a car. I definitely want a luxury car, from what I've heard you get the most bang for your buck going with Audi but I really like the Mercedes I just test drove. Does anyone have any personal experience they'd like to share about BMW, Audi or Mercedes? 

Glad to see this thread, I was actually considering starting a similar one. I'm at the very early stages of purchasing a car. I definitely want a luxury car, from what I've heard you get the most bang for your buck going with Audi but I really like the Mercedes I just test drove. Does anyone have any personal experience they'd like to share about BMW, Audi or Mercedes? 

Not sure about getting most bang for your buck from an Audi.  I find the Audi's to be a little more expensive, but I think the Audi's have the best drivers environment/features/etc of any of the vehicles you mention.  It's all preference, the Audi and the BMW is more of a sporty driving feel while the Mercedes is a little more of a luxury drive.  But Audi hands down has the ****pit experience.

Archived