Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FS: Washington Redskins Unlikely To Extend Robert Griffin III

brandymac27

There has been quite a bit of drama surrounding Robert Griffin III since he returned to the Washington Redskins last week, and it doesn’t appear that it will stop anytime soon. Now there are question marks surrounding whether or not the Redskins are planning to extend his contract anytime soon, and it doesn’t appear that they are ready to commit to him long-term.

According to John Keim of ESPN.com, it doesn’t look like the Redskins will be extending Griffin’s contract this year.

Griffin has been extremely injury prone this season, and has been unable to get back to his rookie season form. He was an absolute beast in his first year, and actually led Washington to the playoffs. Since then, he has been extremely inconsistent when he has been on the field and more than often he has been sitting on the sidelines due to injuries.

Cont'd at link...

http://fansided.com/2014/11/08/washington-redskins-unlikely-extend-robert-griffin-iii/

Coming from Keim, i can somewhat believe this. I know he's basing his opinion off of how Robert continues to play this season, but I'm not sure just yet if i agree with not extending him based solely off of how he plays this season. I think last year is a wash because he ultimately shouldn't have been playing anyway.

The one thing i do find interesting is how Keim mentioned he wouldn't be extended, or it would give the FO pause, not only according to his play, but also if other players are upset if they keep losing or Robert doesn't play well (not exactly sure which he means).

I understand players not wanting to lose, but for that to have an effect on our starting QB's possible extension just doesn't seem right to me. Do we have a locker room full of cry babies? Hell, it takes more than one person to win football games, and i feel like players being upset with Robert is ultimately their way of deflecting their own sub par efforts on the field. And I'm not saying Robert is playing now like he was in 2012. I'm just saying that i think there's a lot of misplaced blame going on, and it shouldn't have any effect on if Robert gets an extension.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=washington-redskins&id=12721

Keim: It's because the organization wants to see a talented player they surrendered a lot for develop. And they hired Jay Gruden to make him better. Besides, it's not like you can go back to Kirk Cousins right now. Even if the coaches like a lot of what he does, they also didn't like the interceptions. And Colt McCoy is a backup. So, yes, they need to find out a lot more about Griffin. I don't know, based on what they've seen, how they could give him an extension in the spring. Tough to play hypotheticals; it's based on how he plays, simple as that.

How it works:

1st round picks get 4 year contracts with a 5th year option allowed.

Option for top 10 draft ten picks is equal to the transition tag from their fourth year (so for Griffin, it'd be transition tag from 2015).

For reference, the transition tag for 2014 for QBs was 14.66M, so 2015's will likely be a tad higher.

HOWEVER, players are allowed to renegotiate after their 3rd year for an all new contract.

For Griffin, him not being extended after 3 was probably a forgone conclusion after 2013.  We needed to see him back and developing further before he got extended, so he'd have to have played like Rodgers to get an extension.  Obviously....this....this....stuff...happened.

So he'll go through year 4 and then we'll see where we're at.  If we transition tag him, it means we're still evaluating.

Exactly.  There is zero incentive to extend him when we can exercise his fifth year option.  The fact that he's had injury issues just adds to it.

I get that. And I'm not saying Keim knows everything, but he's one of the reporters i still trust. Why would he mention this now?

How it works:

1st round picks get 4 year contracts with a 5th year option allowed.

Option for top 10 draft ten picks is equal to the transition tag from their fourth year (so for Griffin, it'd be transition tag from 2015).

For reference, the transition tag for 2014 for QBs was 14.66M, so 2015's will likely be a tad higher.

HOWEVER, players are allowed to renegotiate after their 3rd year for an all new contract.

For Griffin, him not being extended after 3 was probably a forgone conclusion after 2013. We needed to see him back and developing further before he got extended, so he'd have to have played like Rodgers to get an extension. Obviously....this....this....stuff...happened.

So he'll go through year 4 and then we'll see where we're at. If we transition tag him, it means we're still evaluating.

Do you know when they have to pick up the 5th year option? I can't remember if the have to pick up the option before or after the 4th year.

Though, for some reason, I think they have to pick up the option for year 5 this off season, even though he's going into year 4.

And unless he completely poops the bed, they'll do that. If they don't pick up the option, the. He'd play next year and become an UFA at the end of 2015, if I'm not mistaken.

Media is circling like sharks now.

This isn't news but they are gonna run like Bolt with this.

Also, this is now on NFL.COM:

The Washington Redskins quarterback drama doesn't even take a break during the team's bye week. DeSean Jackson had some telling quotes on FOX's pregame show Sunday when asked about the mood on the team when Robert Griffin III got his starting job back from Colt McCoy.

"When the past decision was made for Colt to be benched andRGIII to come in and start, you kinda feel guys feeling a certain way about that," Jackson said. "In the locker room, I had to stand up and say something like, 'As players, that's not our job. We can't worry about that.

"The only thing we can worry about is going out on Sundays and play your best and put your best foot forward. You worry about what you're gonna do on the field, and let the coaches, the owners and everybody else have that relationship with RGIIIor whoever's making that decision. As players, we gotta take care of what we can do.'"

There's a lot there. Jackson indicates that some players weren't thrilled about the change and refers to RGIII's relationship with others in the organization "making that decision." Jackson was careful to say that Griffin is a "good guy" and young, but he noted that Kirk Cousins and McCoy both did a great job filling in for him. When pressed, Jackson said that Cousins probably throws the best ball to catch out of the trio because of his touch.

"Whoever's at quarterback, I don't care, man," Jackson said.

Again, that's not really saying much but the media is gonna spin tf outta it

awww did I hurt your lil feelings? *hands you tissue*

You're obsessed with me, every post I make you comment. 

Cuz you post the dumbest ****. Every one of your posts are in defense of RG3. You're clearly smitten with RG3 and are butt hurt that **** isn't going right. That's not the issue. The issue is when you post dumb **** like I hope he goes to Dallas and dominates. That's ****ing asinine 

If you're actually a fan of the team, your posts would reflect that 

I get that. And I'm not saying Keim knows everything, but he's one of the reporters i still trust. Why would he mention this now?

An extension is different from picking up the 5th year option. I think that's where the disconnect is.

Seriously who gives a **** if some of the players don't like him or didn't want him to start? It's not like they played amazing without him. If they're upset that Kirk isn't playing anymore than maybe they should've done their jobs and won while he was playing...

I think this speaks more to the clowns we've constantly had filling out this teams roster than RGIII.

Seriously who gives a **** if some of the players don't like him or didn't want him to start? It's not like they played amazing without him. If they're upset that Kirk isn't playing anymore than maybe they should've done their jobs and won while he was playing...

I think this speaks more to the clowns we've constantly had filling out this teams roster than RGIII.

The locker room is full of guys that just take the media bait like dumbasses. It's really amazing. 

The locker room is full of guys that just take the media bait like dumbasses. It's really amazing.

I just don't understand what the players think they're accomplishing by running their mouths? No matter what they say it's going to be an issue. Just take the Belichick approach

Why would they rejoice. He wont get more money anywhere else than he would as a Redskins. Not a team in the league dieing to pick him up and pay him.

Carson Palmer just got $50 mil. If RGIII were to hit the open market he's going to get paid.

I just don't understand what the players think they're accomplishing by running their mouths? No matter what they say it's going to be an issue. Just take the Belichick approach

I think a guy like DJax (and probably Garcon) just doesn't give a ****. That's their personality. 

If we want their production on the field, have to put up with it.

It's still annoying. Plus, it's not like the PR team can do anything since they apparently have zero rapport with the team

Archived