Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On Beating the Hawks

darrelgreenie

Just a football discussion on how we can beat the Seahawks from an Xs and Os, strategy view point. Our strengths vs their weaknesses. Our best match-ups. How to protect our weaker match-ups etc......

I don't recall the Seahawks road record but, like any team, they're beatable. Our team just needs to play great football.

Here's a quick over view of the Hawks:

Seahawks Offense:

14th YPG

25th Pass YPG

2nd Rush YPG

5th PPG

Seahawks Defense:

6th YPG

19th Pass YPG

2nd Rush YPG

16th PPG

What do we need to do to win this game? What gameplan/strategy would you use?

Run the ball, control the clock and get the ball to Niles Paul or Jordan Reed as TEs are the weakness in the seattle d.

TE is one match-up where we have the advantage even if its only Niles Paul. Gruden needs to borrow a page from the Chargers gameplan and get creative with his formations to exploit those match-ups.

But will Reed even be available?

Roberts in the slot IMO needs to have a big game, the Seattle secondary is banged up. Sherman is a stud but wonder that D-Jax might be able to work him some considering Sherman isn't about speed.   Cousins needs to chill and forget its MNF with the world watching, I do think he seems to have issues with nerves considering his weaknesses in his career in the 2nd half of games, third downs, etc.  As mentioned already on this thread, they tend to struggle against TE's -- so some TE seem routes from Paul?

I know its a cliche but ride Morris don't get too frustrated with the running game early if it doesn't have success -- its likely to stall early considering how stout Seattle is against the rush.    My fear is Jay like Kyle loses patience too early with the running game and gets pass happy and if so it will likely play into Seattle's game plan. 

Defensively prepare for Seattle's sweeps, don't let Wilson-Harvin burn you on the edges.  Wilson IMO is at his best when he escapes pressure and is improvising booting from the right.  

At the same time they need to be stout on the line of scrimmage up the middle considering Lynch is such a good inside running threat.   So Baker needs to have a big game. I think you almost have to play a zone defense and crowd the edges and dare Wilson to exploit that by beating you deep and up the middle.

One of Cooley's criticisms of Haslett both this year and last is that he often keeps coverages the same and doesn't change it up so a smart QB can really find a rhythm against it over the course of a game because things starting looking familiar and the QB gains confidence that they have a read on how the D will react.    He said that's an poor way to go especially against young QBs who are more easily confused.  I recall him talking about it last season relating to Kaepernick about how they kept giving him the same man look and it really puts a guy like that at ease considering most D coordinators try to confuse the heck out of young QBs. 

Cooley talked about Manning last week carving the Redskins D up, but they stuck to the same man look and didn't mix up the coverages, which surprised him.  Manning in his post game talk on the NFL Network talked about how they wondered what coverage they'd play in, and once they saw it they found a rhythm or something to that effect.  

find a real head coach and a real def coordinator. then we can talk about how to win games 

I am going to beat this dead horse.  Which coach you want?  The most desired college head coach (Spurrier) the coach that gets every team into the playoffs (Shotty) the HOFer (Gibbs) the nobody (Zorn) the upcoming coordinator (Gruden).  At some point even a blind squirrel will realize our issues aren't with coaching.

Now lets run the ball tonight and win and everyone can talk about how we turned this season around.

Contain Marshawn Lynch. Do not let him get a head of steam. Otherwise, he will demoralize the defense and open everything else up for Wilson and their mediocre receivers.

You want to get Alfred Morris in a groove, but I think Roy Helu will be a big factor tonight as an outlet for Kirk. I've been impressed with his YAC the last couple games.

Also, be aggressive on the outside. Make the NFL live up to its promise of cracking down on over-aggressive contact by cornerbacks. Make them clutch and grab Desean. Make them get into a wrestling match with Pierre. Air our the yellow laundry.

I am going to beat this dead horse.  Which coach you want?  The most desired college head coach (Spurrier) the coach that gets every team into the playoffs (Shotty) the HOFer (Gibbs) the nobody (Zorn) the upcoming coordinator (Gruden).  At some point even a blind squirrel will realize our issues aren't with coaching.

Now lets run the ball tonight and win and everyone can talk about how we turned this season around.

good point, i didnt think through my post.

wait to see how things pan out and if gruden can learn from mistakes, i have not given him ample time for me to make a rational and logical judgement (not that my opinion thoughts matter any how). i still think we need to do something to change the def coordinator some how...

"rabble rabble rabble" (for south park fans)

I would start the first series with a bubble screen to DJAX and then follow that up with running the ball with Morris.  We dont need to go down the field (although it is fun to watch) alot to win this game. Short completions will help keep Cousins calm and comfortable.   I honestly believe that the keys to the game will be 1) Get Cousins comfortable in the pocket again and 2) running the ball down thier throat with Morris. 

On defense we are going to see a ton of Beast mode coming at us.  We need to clog the holes and wrap him up with the first tackler.  We wont be able to shut him down completely, but we will need to contain him as much as possible.  Wilson will run out of the pocket if he needs to, but I am not sure that he is comfortable doing so.  If we are aggressive with the receivers (legally), I think that we will be able to minimize thier impact.  But that may be alot to ask for from our young CB's.

The FANS need to be into the game from the get go.  We cant let the poor performance from the Giants game get to us.  We need to bring the noise on defense and stay quiet on offense.  The second one is what scares me.  We have a history of being loud while our guys are in the huddle and at the line.  LASTLY  KEEP THE FAITH.  I think that we are much closer to the team that played the Eagles than the team that showed up against the Giants.  The season isnt lost yet. 

Contain Marshawn Lynch. Do not let him get a head of steam. Otherwise, he will demoralize the defense and open everything else up for Wilson and their mediocre receivers.

I think Haz will do a good job against the run, the defense seems to be geared towards stopping the run (almost to a fault).

I want to see a fast paced, effective game of long drives, not only to keep their O off the field but to keep their D on it, wear 'em out. Run the damn ball, run the damn ball and then? run the damn ball some more. Pound Morris in there, hit the TEs to move the chains and then run Morris again, rinse, repeat. Screw the scoreboard, go in with a basic executable gameplan, our O line run blocks better than pass blocking, use that! I would be thrilled to take a low scoring win tonight.

Haslett............ <sigh> I don't even know what to suggest, RW is slippery and will make plays if he has time to amble around, getting effective pressure on him has to be a priority, along with keeping Lynch from running wild. That's a tall order from the team we've seen playing for us the last couple weeks.

And oh yeah, one more thing Santa, since I'm on yer lap reading my list, how'sabout no humiliatingly stupid, gut wrenchingly imbecilic ST breakdowns? Can we get through one primetime game without me throwing up in my mouth?

It irritates me when people say things like "run the ball", or "don't turn the ball over" when pointing out keys to the game...those are keys to every football game ever played. C'mon...if you don't have something specific to say, save the electrons.

Here are some ACTUAL keys....

When running:

The Seahawks shed blocks very well, and are very aggressive when getting after the ball carrier. They are the best run defense in the league, however, they CAN be attacked in specific ways. The 'skins normal zone running scheme will not be effective by itself. As Morris moves with the zone blocking, looking for a place to cut back, the 'hawks will often shed blocks and disrupt him in the backfield. Even when the blocking holds-up, the 'hawks are exceptional at speeding into the cutback lane after the ball carrier commits.

So, use their speed and aggressiveness against them with...

-Zone Counters...it looks like a normal zone blocking play with everyone (except the backside cutoff guy), going in one direction, but then, right at the hand-off, Morris, and Young change direction to go against the grain of the play. You now have Morris with two lead blockers heading into open space. This only works if you have already ground out several normal zone runs.

-Traps...the 'skins haven't done much trap blocking, but Gruden did it often in Cinci. In a trap block, a guard just chips the guy in front of him, and then moves to the 2nd level. The defender, all fired up to be busting into the backfield, is suddenly smashed by the other guard who has pulled around. Another nice side-effect to this, is that the 'hawks aggressive LBs, will often flow with the pulling guard, away from the direction of the ball carrier. The holes are small, but once through, Morris can pinball through the 2nd level as he often does. A bunch of these early in the game will slow down the aggressive run pursuit.

-Draw action...with a quick fake throw and then hand-off. It invites the front defenders up the field, and gets the ball to the back already past them. Helu would do this better than Morris, but either way, the Seahawks have been demonstrated to be very vulnerable to these in weeks past.

Do NOT run end-arounds...they are just too fast for that.

When Passing:

The Seahawks run mostly a Cover-3 shell, however, it is tight and aggressive on the outside. Most teams, when doing Cover-3, have the two outside CBs line up deep pre-snap...or give a Cover-1 look and then turn their hips and bail to their deep 3rd responsibility right at the snap. This creates open underneath space for slant/flat, WR screen, or sticks concepts. However, the 'hawks do not do that. Even though their CBs have deep 3rd responsibility, they line up pretty close, and stay close...always deeper than the deepest guy, but still pretty tight.

So, all the things that normally work well against Cover-3 do not. Instead, you run Cover-2 concepts like a post/wheel. With speed guys, there are big play opportunities down the boundaries.

Also, screens to RBs, and TE Zone/Read plays should also work well because their LBs are so aggessive.

Oh, one more thing...there is no reason to avoid Sherman. He always shades to the outside, and is vulnerable to outside->in type routes, and Garcon is great at these. Make it look like you are running a wheel, then cut hard back inside...works on Sherman every time.

The hawks run a lot of Cover 3. I would smoke screen them and run a lot of flood concepts.  Then run a lot of counters away from the strong side.

Force them into man and run some compression sets and hope for some rubs that will spring a guy or two open.

And run it to lull these guys into big plays down field for us.

I didn't talk about defense.

First, Haslett has returned to his ways of putting his players in position to fail. How on earth do you have a 5'10" CB trying to cover a 6'6" TE with a 40lb weight advantage in man coverage on the goal line....that's just stupid.

Why on earth do you run Cover-0 in the middle of the field? Cover-0 should only be used on the goal line, or on 3rd and short when a first down ends the game.

Horrible coverage rotations. On more than one play, he had such big coverage rotations, that everyone was instantly out of position. He had Clark show Cover-0 from mid-field with him lined up in man coverage on a slot WR...then he bails at the snap to Cover-1, which is useless because it was too much distance for him to cover...oh, and he had biggers coming on a blitz from the other side. This is awful defensive design that removed Clark from the play, and set a WR totally un-covered. I don't know if these were the play calls, or the players not knowing what they are supposed to be doing, but either way, it is Haslett's responsibility, and he is a liability.

This week, the key is discipline.

The front 7 needs to be conservative in getting after the QB...everybody needs to stay at home, and defend their space. If Kerrigan or Orakpo go blasting after Wilson, they will suddenly find that they have overrun the play. They don't need to knock Lynch down, just grab ahold of him until more can get there.

I would stay away from trying to confuse Wilson. He doesn't do anything sophisticated anyway. You also don't want to do much man coverage, because when the defenders turn their backs on the QB to run with the guy they are supposed to be covering, Wilson will take off. Instead, play straight-up Cover-2 and Cover-3 all game. I would prefer Cover-2 with lots of contact at the LoS.

Don't be afraid to run some read option with Cousins just to give them a different look.

Our D has actually done a good job of containing the Seahawks over the years. If we can hold them 17-21, via playing lots of zone and facing Wilson so he has nowhere to run, I really like our chances. 

On defense, I would blitz the A&B gaps with contain on the outside.

I would then run Cover 3 on them, because it helps against the run and pass at pretty much at the same time.

This defense is not good with their backs turned, especially against a scrambler.

Archived