Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grantland: Who’s Afraid of Robert Griffin III?

redskins55

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/whos-afraid-of-robert-griffin-iii/

Peter Rosenberg (@Rosenbergradio) is the cohost of the Grantland Network’s Cheap Heat podcast and a DJ at New York’s Hot 97 FM. He is also a Washington Redskins fan, and he needed to get some things off his chest about Robert Griffin III.

Talking Robert Griffin III is big business. There is a reason he makes headlines and drives sports radio conversation every day. That reason has nothing to do with his actions off the field, or even on it. Griffin played solidly in the Redskins’ loss Sunday to the Texans, and surely was not to blame for his team’s self-inflicted wounds. That won’t matter. Griffin has become one of those guys people love to chew the fat over. Given how much he is dissected, you’d think he seeks out controversy. But almost nothing about him is controversial.

If you compare his biggest “controversies” to those of the other athletes who receive a similar amount of scrutiny, you come up with nothing. The worst thing Robert Griffin can be accused of is .......

​Click HERE for more

Pretty accurate in my opinion. I think the media plays off of the fear of Redskins fans when it comes to Robert. It's why I don't pay attention to the media. If Robert plays HIS game we win! If he gets hurt, hey its football! Your going to get hurt. Ask Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady! 

Pretty accurate in my opinion. I think the media plays off of the fear of Redskins fans when it comes to Robert. It's why I don't pay attention to the media. If Robert plays HIS game we win! If he gets hurt, hey its football! Your going to get hurt. Ask Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady! 

I mean, I think there's an ideal balance and I hope we're going to shoot for it. Yeah, injuries are going to be a risk no matter what he does, and if he doesn't use his legs much at all then you're cutting off a pretty valuable weapon. But there's also nothing wrong with making some efforts to keep him safe.

So hopefully this year is about working on him from the pocket and teaching him how to protect himself and then you unchain him later and those lessons will be part of his arsenal.

Homer article.

I know that's sarcasm but he's just a fan

Peter Rosenberg is a well known DJ from Hot 97 in NY. That's the only reason he got to publish this on grantland. He has no real football knowledge and only really knows about pro wrestling and underground rappers

He's not saying anything different than what fans are saying here. Not sure why it needed to be a thread

It's a worthy article and take. He's exactly right. There is tension and fear fueling much of the discussion about RG3.

His point about not being fair to take out our 20+ years of frustration on RG3 (Or Gruden or whoever) isn't fair. Not fair at all.

But it's reality. You know that "losing culture" mantra that gets thrown around? Well, THAT'S what it is. The belief that you will ultimately fail. It has a snowball effect and slowly infects almost anyone who winds up in the organization. I've know for years it would take someone VERY special to finally break this culture. Whoever it was (be it a coach or player) could not be good. Maybe not even great--- they'd have to be exceptional.

And in 2012, "exceptional" came to Washington. RG3 was electrifying and confident and something we'd never really seen before. And his coaching staff used him perfectly. Or at least were able to exploit his talents to the max. Maybe TOO much to the max. Then, he broke. And then suddenly it felt like a mirage. Like a tease.

And now RG3 looks infected too. He and his coaches made so many missteps in 2013 it isn't funny and it certainly made things worse for all parties in all facets. And now it's like 2012 never happened. THAT exceptional player is gone. He is now being remade. He needs time. But that's the problem... The frustration of 20 years boils over and there is no time granted. No patience. No rationality. It's just easier to cast him aside as yet another lost cause in a two decade run of lost causes.

We could really use some good luck right now. It would be very helpful if we could find a way to simply win some games and look competent while RG finds his way. If we do that, it will keep the wolves at bay and hopefully give our greatest hope a chance to still work some magic here.

But scoring 6 points and losing the way we did on Sunday makes things so much worse. It builds the tension and fear even more. And it squeezes RG and increases the already mounting pressure.

This is a monumental challenge for Gruden. He is trying to rebuild a QB while simultaneously change the culture of a terrible organization. And he is just learning as well. And soon enough, if it keeps up, he will be lumped with all the other failures and disappointments. Even though it probably won't be fair at all.

So, that's my hope. Just some damn good luck. A few bounces of the ball in the right direction. Enough wins and positive Sundays for people to say "you know, that wasn't such a bad year in Washington."

Wilbon has always had a quote I love:

"first you win, and then you get good." Life is so much easier when you are operating from a position of leverage and positivity. The tension and negativity will eventually break anyone. I think RG3 is likely already in the danger zone of being "broken" forever as a Redskin. He needs more time than he is likely going to be granted. I just hope we find a way to stave it off.

The title says it all.  Most teams have figured out that if you pressure his right side, he is erratic.  I'm not worried about RG3 getting hurt, he is.  His play shows a lot of hesitation since his injury.  Some of the crushing sacks or hits he takes after a throw is because he leaves his feet to avoid leg injury, IMO.  The only worry I have is we sold the farm for a one year wonder.  He has never played in a pro style offense.  He is very uncomfortable under center: two fumbles and a couple of stumbles sums it up.

I feel bad for RG3. I really do. He laid it all on the line for this team and fans in 2012. He was injured on a freak play. Only to later tear his ACL and LCL, which takes time to come back 100%. The attempts to trash his character the way the media has is sad. What's more sad is how the fans (some) talk about him now. Some where the same ones that had pom poms in 2012 and where ghost when he set the NFL on fire!

Now 1 year removed from what use to be a career ending injury, playing through from the standards he set in 2012 (a down 2013 season), learning a new offense with a new head coach and being taught a different style of play. You have these fans (RG3 bashers) and media that trying to run him out of town with "THEIR" win now expectations and trying to create a QB controversy with a clearly less talented back up QB!!! WOW.......very sad.

It just goes to show that people only care when you're giving them what THEY want. Anything else other than satisfying them and their agendas is unacceptable!!!

The worst thing Robert Griffin can be accused of is .......

He wasn't worth 2 first rounders and and 2nd, its that simple. Its nothing personal against Robert and no he wasn't the only reason we lost on Sunday but he definitely was part of the problem.

When you give up that amount of draft picks you want to see a player further along than he is in year 3.

The title says it all.  Most teams have figured out that if you pressure his right side, he is erratic.  I'm not worried about RG3 getting hurt, he is.  His play shows a lot of hesitation since his injury.  Some of the crushing sacks or hits he takes after a throw is because he leaves his feet to avoid leg injury, IMO.  The only worry I have is we sold the farm for a one year wonder.  He has never played in a pro style offense.  He is very uncomfortable under center: two fumbles and a couple of stumbles sums it up.

Yes, RGIII in the pocket reminds me of a kitten that is seeing his own reflection for the first time, skiddish and jumpy. What is boggling my mind is you would think that if RGIII was skiddish he would just take off like a bat out of hell when the pocket collapsed ala 2012. Now he won't even step up in the pocket at all! He has no burst what so ever, no deceleration, no ability to make sharp cuts anymore. RGIII could probably still run a sub 4.5 40 yard dash but his ability to move on the football field is all gone. That's what made him a good QB. I'm afraid that unless he gets that burst back he will be out of the league in a couple years. It is time to panic everyone. Right now. If it doesn't turn around VERY soon he's done. There is no time for him to learn this offense. Or to learn how to become a pocket passer. He was the number 2 draft pick. He has his own shoe out for Christ sake. He is partly responsible for all of this pressure. He even has a shirt "No pressure no diamonds". Well RGIII show us then. Play. Don't be scared. Be confident. Or we will cast you aside by next season.

This article is so true.

Robert receives so much undue criticism. From fans and media alike. Does he deserve some criticism? Of course but most of the crap being spewed by the media and fans is bordering on ridiculous.

Dude is our franchise QB. Not Cousins.

The worst thing Robert Griffin can be accused of is .......[/size]

He wasn't worth 2 first rounders and and 2nd, its that simple. Its nothing personal against Robert and no he wasn't the only reason we lost on Sunday but he definitely was part of the problem.

When you give up that amount of draft picks you want to see a player further along than he is in year 3.

Yeah sure. I mean forget the injury. Forget the dysfunctional relationship with the previous coach. Forget the new system and new style of play.

He needs to be Peyton Manning-like NOW!!!!!

*End sarcasm*

Pretty sure any fan of US sports who regularly uses the internet knows Grantland at this point, but if you want to remain ignorant of their work go right ahead.

You know... Your smartass attitude that you've exhibited lately is starting to become increasingly annoying. Especially since you do it when it is not really needed. :)

Let me know if you had those same sentiments back DURING the 2012 season. 

Hyperbole is a funny thing. 

But ignoring his record breaking 1st year and his average/sub-average (based on 1st year watermark) 2nd year following a major injury you've determined it wasn't worth it.

. Or we will cast you aside by next season.

Less than 3 complete years after drafting him. After the 2012 incredible season. What does it hurt to give him 4-5 years just to be sure? To make sure that we don't give up on a potentially incredible QB? Honestly what does it hurt? We've been absolute **** for so long, especially at the QB position. We have a great talent who had a down year last year and is 1 game into this season.

Again- what does it hurt? This isn't even a "sunk cost fallacy" I'm just asking- we've talked for so long about getting away from the "win now" mentality that plagued us, so what does it hurt to give him 4-5 years to make sure before "casting him aside"? I don't understand this fanbase sometimes. We're all passionate I guess so there's that but let's look a little bit bigger picture.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Redskins/comments/2fu1jw/full_analysis_of_rg3s_passes_week_1_2014_houston/

But ignoring his record breaking 1st year and his average/sub-average (based on 1st year watermark) 2nd year following a major injury you've determined it wasn't worth it.

Less than 3 complete years after drafting him. After the 2012 incredible season. What does it hurt to give him 4-5 years just to be sure? To make sure that we don't give up on a potentially incredible QB? Honestly what does it hurt? We've been absolute **** for so long, especially at the QB position. We have a great talent who had a down year last year and is 1 game into this season.

Again- what does it hurt? This isn't even a "sunk cost fallacy" I'm just asking- we've talked for so long about getting away from the "win now" mentality that plagued us, so what does it hurt to give him 4-5 years to make sure before "casting him aside"? I don't understand this fanbase sometimes. We're all passionate I guess so there's that but let's look a little bit bigger picture.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Redskins/comments/2fu1jw/full_analysis_of_rg3s_passes_week_1_2014_houston/

Especially when he plays a solid, not spectacular, but solid game. He managed it well, which is about what you can expect when he has a sieve at RT playing the best DE in the league. He even had us in position to tie the game if not for the horrific fumble by Paul. The other fumble was on him, Lich, and Morris, just bad all around.

Griffin didnt turn the ball over. He didnt allow a blocked punt for a td or a blocked xp. He got us into the red zone 3 times, one being a td, the other 2 being fumbles, with him having a part of 1 of them, but not totally on him. We had a chance and we blew it. Griffin wasnt spectacular, but he is far from the dud everyone is making him out to be. I actually found his play to be very encouraging and think by week 7-8, we are going to see a totally different player. 

Revisionist history.....but I wish RGIII never took a snap last year....recovered, laid low, and stayed off of twitter/etc.  He is a drama-magnet because no matter what he says, it is dissected to the point where it is unfairly twisted into "all about him".  And people thought Joe Thiesmann was "drama" for the Redskins....sheesh.

Archived