Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

.....and the NFL blows it again.

mtruslow

Look into:

1. NFL Game Pass for International Users

2. VPN services like Private Internet Access

3. This guide: http://help.unotelly.com/support/articles/24706-how-to-get-nfl-game-pass-and-watch-live-games-in-usa-canada-uk-and-ireland-without (you dont actually need to use the service they say, but it breaks down what limitations there are).

This!

I work overseas for 6 months out of the year so this is what I use.  Streaming is amazing from the NFL.com site.

When I come back to Texas, I just use the VPN as Bifflog notes above and now I am streaming games at home in the USA. You pay ~$179 per year for games but hell its cheaper than getting DirecTV and paying for the NFL package.

Also make sure you disconnect from the VPN once you have the game streaming...  This will greatly improve your speed and thus get HD quality streaming without the lag.

Other providers would pay close to what directv does to also gain access. Just having 1 provider to deal with makes things more convenient for the NFL, and also allows them to charge a bit extra for granting exclusive rights.

That's simply not true. A portion of directv subscribers are only with them because of the NFL package. They lose the exclusive rights and they lose a large number of their paying audience. The different cable companies and dish are not going to pay anywhere close to what directv pays just so they can all fight it out for subscribers.

That's simply not true. A portion of directv subscribers are only with them because of the NFL package. They lose the exclusive rights and they lose a large number of their paying audience. The different cable companies and dish are not going to pay anywhere close to what directv pays just so they can all fight it out for subscribers.

Yes, it is true. Also I never said for directv to lose access, just for other tv service providers to gain access. They lose some customers every year because of Sunday Ticket, instead they'd keep them and only those disatisfied with regular directv would switch. The other companies certainly would pay to be able to also provide Sunday Ticket and stop losing customers to it. The NFL would have more people to deal with though, which brings in a bunch of other issues, plus it would eat into their local broadcasting numbers as well.

There are various reasons the NFL only goes with 1 provider, but money isn't one of them. Are you really going to keep trying to argue otherwise and try to suggest that 1 contract would bring them more money than multiple contracts with multiple providers?

Thank you. That entire post was garbage. Don't think he got one single thing right.

It's pretty simple:

1. Stop being cheap and sign up for Directv/ST.

or

2. Watch at a bar or friend's house.

yes, because all Redskins fans not in VA-DC-MD area are just being cheap and can easily afford directv and it's easily available in their area  :rolleyes: Nothing inconvenient or absurd about the business model at all, no reason to complain what-so-ever  :rolleyes:

Are you really going to keep trying to argue otherwise and try to suggest that 1 contract would bring them more money than multiple contracts with multiple providers?

Yes because directv has a monopoly on the product. If everyone could offer the ticket then it's value to each provider is minimilized. Right now the only way for my wife and i to both watch out favorite teams is to have directv and the ticket. It time warner, dish, directv, etc all could offer it then we could go with whoever we wanted. The same goes for everyone subscribing. No cable provider is going to pay close to what directv is paying now because they won't be guaranteed the subscribers if it is not exclusive.

I just bit the bullet and got myself set up for the season:

1) I set up my computer to go through a foreign DNS server so I could access the NFL gamepass site (this is the service the NFL offers to the rest of the world)

2) I signed up -- $130 US for the season, (or $100 if you just want the Redskins)

3) I jailbroke my AppleTV 2 and installed XBMC (I've been wanting to do this for a while but until a year or two ago, you had to use a Mac to jailbreak an AppleTV)

4) I installed an alpha version of the AppleTV NFL app that is currently being developed.

I'm guessing I'll have some latency issues when the first game rolls around, but I think it'll all work out.  I was just streaming the NFL Network and it looks amazing.  Now I'm streaming Super Bowl XXII :P

If anyone is interested in what I did, I can send you more details.

PS: And the funny thing is that I'm not even averse to paying the NFL to watch the games.  DirecTV just isn't an option where I am.  The league still made money from me on this set up.

Yes because directv has a monopoly on the product. If everyone could offer the ticket then it's value to each provider is minimilized. Right now the only way for my wife and i to both watch out favorite teams is to have directv and the ticket. It time warner, dish, directv, etc all could offer it then we could go with whoever we wanted. The same goes for everyone subscribing. No cable provider is going to pay close to what directv is paying now because they won't be guaranteed the subscribers if it is not exclusive.

I've already said NFL gets more money from one because of exclusivity than it would to multiple, but have pointed out that the multiple would ADD UP to more than the singular would. You're crazy if you think providers wouldn't pay a substantial sums to all have access. Tell me, why doesn't HBO or any other pay service grant such exclusive deals to providers if it's such a "fantastic" business model? They all work with multiple providers and provide their channel across all of them. 

Again, one exclusive contract isn't going to add up to how much multiple contracts would add up to especially since it ensures greater access for all subscribers since many providers' services aren't available in all areas, such as directv.

There was a second option listed. And there are others. My point is, if you (not you..in general) really wanted to watch, you could make it happen.

I have the basic package with DTV. Pay around $100. And I sometimes call and get ST for free. Gotta know how to play the game :).

I'm a teacher living in an apartment, so getting a dish is not allowed and going out to a bar every Sunday is not an affordable option. Don't have friends who have directv and are also Redskins fans or would want me watching at their place a game they have no interest in for 3 hours. 

Your other options are impractical and the game is rigged, I can't play. 

But thanks for labeling me and others like me, screwed over by a poor business model, as "cheap."  :rolleyes:

I was under the impression you can now get Sunday Ticket streaming through a PlayStation or Xbox console without having DTV, though there are some restrictions based on location.

Actually I went and checked and the OP is wrong, Sunday Ticket is being offered online for non-subscribers, but only if your area qualifies (meaning you are ineligible for regular directv service). I qualify so now I've got Sunday Ticket online. $200 ain't cheap, but I can swing it fortunately. I'm guessing OP is in an area where he qualifies for regular directv service, and that sucks.

Bubble- I can stream the games but the quality is usually lackluster, stops at parts a bunch of times or just completely freezes due to user overload, and it's just not that enjoyable. I have good internet speed so since Sunday Ticket is available through online to me in my area I went ahead and got it. In this day and age though NFL really should offer it's services like HBO does.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, so please don't take it that way. But back when I was in college we were not allowed satellite dishes at our apartments, there was no such thing as streaming games online.

We didn't have any friends that had access to nfl ticket and none of us had money pouring in. We lived in Charlotte NC and the Panthers dominate the market. You compromise/sacrifice, plenty of us would go to the local bar and order a soda and a cheap appitizer just to watch the games.

It can be done and the options are plentiful when compared to say 1995.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, so please don't take it that way. But back when I was in college we were not allowed satellite dishes at our apartments, there was no such thing as streaming games online.

We didn't have any friends that had access to nfl ticket and none of us had money pouring in. We lived in Charlotte NC and the Panthers dominate the market. You compromise/sacrifice, plenty of us would go to the local bar and order a soda and a cheap appitizer just to watch the games.

It can be done and the options are plentiful when compared to say 1995.

LOL, when I was a freshman in college, I used to go to the one bar on campus that had DirecTV and watch the Redskins.  The funny thing is that I didn't even drink at the time so I'd go in, order my 12 chicken wings and a soda, and drink free refills for 3 hours.  

That bartender must've hated me.

I posted this over in the NFL ST thread, but the NFL really needs to figure something out here. I don't mean to complain and be a "woe is me" "give me my team damnit" guy ... but the fact that in 2014 ... apartment dwellers living outside of their team's market CAN'T be guaranteed some way to view their team, even if they WANT to pay for it, is sad.

I signed up for the Sunday Ticket online for $329.99 last week. That's not a little bit of money, at least in my world. That's a significant expense, but I was willing to pay it for ST Max. I got charged and had an account number and log-in and everything. But nothing worked come Sunday. I spent 3 hours on the phone with customer service at DTV and they had no idea how to fix my problem or even what my problem was. They had "never heard of that error message" ...and had no idea why it wouldn't recognize my log-in or info on either mobile or video-game platform. 

So needless to say, I thanked the DTV person, asked them to cancel my account, and told them I was going to watch the Redskins illegally this year. I told them I did my best to do it the right way, but that I would be purchasing a slingbox and putting it at a friend's home.

**** DirecTV and this monopoly and screw the NFL for making DTV the sole-bearer of such a service. If you're going to give them that sort of exclusivity, there HAS to be a way to guarantee it actually freakin works. Unreal. 

Archived