Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Niles Paul Make the Final Roster?

Brokenstriker

Niles is definitely on the roster.......I don't understand the love affair with Logan Paulsen.....he's not a great or even good blocker, IMO...obviously doesn't scare anyone in the passing game

The idea of a "blocking TE" who is only a mediocre blocker seems to stretch back with this organization at least back to the Gibbs years. Does anyone remember "blocking TE" Christian Fauria, for the love of all that is holy?

He had 1 reception for 7 yards against NE...is your assessment of Paul having "two nice games in a row" based on other aspects? (I didn't watch the whole game)

Did he really only have one catch?  Shows how perception can be warped or how low my threshhold for him to impress was/is.  I remember him playing well.  Maybe it was a big play that skewed it.

Just to be sure I reread this entire thread ... nobody has taken a shot at Paul other than perhaps me who simply wonders if he's going to make the roster and given that's a fundemental part of competative football its nowhere near a shot.  Just trying to sort out the observables ... Paul a good ST player, a decent TE receiver albeit relatively small for the modern version of a top tier TE, a medicore blocking TE and a unremarkable receiver as a WR is on the roster.  They drafted a TE (who doesn't look very good to me) and they have brought in at least 3 other TEs since the off-season ... all of whom are notably tall and have decent college and in some cases pro receiver creds.  I'm just wondering if there is a HC position behind this ... and considering Gruden's offense is Cinncy featuring 2 top 25 TE receivers I suspect he'd LOVE to have another player more like Reed to bookend with Reed ... and that he doesn't see Paul as that guy.  Doesn't mean he won't make the roster and doesn't mean I think he should be cut.  I'd cut him in a heart beat if someone like Gresham or Eifert could be added .... I figure the coach is motoring his boat along and he figures he might as well just trail a baited line while he's at it.

You are right, there's really only one drive by and at this point it's to be expected from a guy like GHH. It's more a culmination of a ton of very similar comments about Paul and other similar players over time. I've said before it's probably my biggest issue with an otherwise very enjoyable board - the undervaluing of our players and peoples' desire for our entire team to be either Hall of Famers or low round steals in the draft. A fundamental misunderstanding of how a football team is built and the desire for a fantasy draft type team is incredibly annoying. 

As I've said, I'm all for improving our roster and competition for every single spot at every position. And when Paul is pushed off the roster or not re-signed there will not be many, if any spilled tears. He hasn't earned that. At the same time the fact that people so often dog players like Paul or Doughty (and perhaps not necessarily in this thread but all over the board over the many years I've been on here) and they truly have this belief that anyone "with a pulse" would be better or just to keep some young undrafted or late round guy with "potential" really annoys me probably more than it should. 

Paul is pretty much everything you want from a #3 at any position (as I've said several times). You may very well be right that the staff would like to improve at this position. Or they simply thought Bolser had some talent as a pass catcher and was the BPA and they brought in some guys as camp bodies. I don't know. But the fact is that anyone "with a pulse" can replace what any of those guys have done so far. Niles Paul - not so much. He is one of the best special teams players we have and plays on almost every single special teams unit. He's usually our backup FB and is imo as good, if not better if needed than many teams' #3 TE. So why there are entire threads or pages of posts in other threads debating him even making the team or what his worth is is beyond me. 

Very similar to how people piled on Doughty for years or how everyone thinks Seastrunk blows Helu out of the water yet Seastrunk is dead last on the depth chart. Hmmm...

You could do a whole lot worse in filling out your roster.  Remember, mediocre = average.

no argument ... but the flip side of that is you could do a whole lot better ... I just thought Gruden was thinking "ok, but ..." and trolling for something that fits his playbook better

The idea of a "blocking TE" who is only a mediocre blocker seems to stretch back with this organization at least back to the Gibbs years. Does anyone remember "blocking TE" Christian Fauria, for the love of all that is holy?

I remember Don Warren

As a TE#3 I have no problem with Paul making the team this season. As others have said, he's solid on special teams and is a decent blocker. 

But if he can't improve as a receiver this season we should draft a TE in the 3rd or 4th round next April so we have a solid receiving option to complement Reed.

Kinda surprised that Paul hasn't shown more as a receiver. He was a WR in college and has a nice blend of size/speed. Not the best hands, though :(

I'm surprised the number of people talking about either Paul or Paulsen getting cut. People have seen what depth this team has at TE right? As in one. It's Jordan Reed and then Paul and Paulsen are the next best options. If there were viable alternatives, then it would be a different story.  But Paulsen makes it for blocking and Paul for Special Teams. And one prays Reed stays healthy.

I'm surprised the number of people talking about either Paul or Paulsen getting cut. People have seen what depth this team has at TE right? As in one. It's Jordan Reed and then Paul and Paulsen are the next best options. If there were viable alternatives, then it would be a different story.  But Paulsen makes it for blocking and Paul for Special Teams. And one prays Reed stays healthy.

Paulson played very well last year after Reed went down.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived