Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ugly, ugly loss. I hate losing games against teams you should beat. Lose to Wisconsin, OSU, MSU or Indiana on the road and I'm ok. Not to friggin Illinois. So bummed about this loss. They looked like zombies out there.

You may want to brush up on your Big10 basketball a bit.  Illinois is usually a decent team.  Here are the teams you have no business losing to, ever.

1. Penn State...it's a football school first, I'd argue a wrestling school second.  You can probably count on one hand the number of great basketball moments the Men's BB team has had, ever.

2. Northwestern, they're as much the dregs of the Big10 as the Nittany Lions.

3. Iowa, the standard "Oh yeah, they're in the conference too" team.  They're never as bad as Penn State or Northwestern, never distinguish themselves, and a team like Maryland should never lose to them.  I think Nebraska may fall into this category as well, but they haven't been in the conference long enough for me to get a read on them.  When was the last time you ever heard anything about Nebraska basketball though?

After those four, you have teams who are occasionally good like Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan.  People remember Michigan mostly because of the Fab Five, and because they made the NCAA finals either last year or the year before, but historically, they're not that great a program.  Illinois is in this group as well, they had a real run of success in the mid 2000's but otherwise tread water.  I'm guessing that Rutgers may wind up in this group as well; they aren't great but they're coming from a conference with a much better basketball pedigree.  Maryland should usually beat these teams but unlike the first group, losing isn't inconceivable.

Then you have the top group.  Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana (historically), and Wisconsin (recently).  Maryland should (and has) immediately be in this top group, without question.  Indiana is good but living on reputation at this point, they haven't been to a final four since 2002.  Wisconsin's success started in the late 90's, but was a basketball wasteland prior.  Ohio State and Michigan State have always been good, it seems.  Maryland should fit right in.  To be honest, I didn't think much of Maryland football wise, I'm still not sure how much I do.  But I was excited to raise the basketball profile of the conference, and Maryland is doing just that.

Losing to Illinois was a hiccup, but it's forgivable, they do have good players.  Lose to Penn State, Northwestern, or Iowa, and maybe you worry a bit.

His point still stands. Playing down to the competition is a MD standard in football and basketball.

They took the night off and it showed on the scoreboard (even worse if you watched it). Simply a silly loss for no reason. They should have won that game handily.

I've got a pretty good handle on B10 basketball. Illinois was in the final four in the mid 2000s. I remember they had some pretty good/great teams under Lon Kruger, but they've not been a powerhouse for a while. Purdue with Glenn Robinson and Gene Keady had some powerful teams. Minnesota has had some periods of good basketball under Tubby Smith. Like you said, MSU, Michigan, Indiana, OSU and Wisconsin have been at the top for a while. And yes, I believe Rutgers will be in the group with PSU and Northwestern. Iowa has been one of those up and down teams. While not powerful, you can't take them for granted like PSU and NW.

I'm just sore about it this morning. I know it's on the road and this is our first foray into the B10. Hard for the players to get used to the different locations to travel to. I had some losses penciled in for MD as I know we weren't going 18-0 in the conference, but Illinois wasn't one of them. I guess you can say we traded the MSU win for the Illinois loss.

We need to beat Purdue on Saturday.

Let us get a couple of good recruiting classes on the field like we have coming in 2015 and then 2016 and I think MD will "continue" to surprise in football. I mean, I had us at 8-4, 7-5 this year with a 5-3, 4-4 record. Reading a lot of the other teams B10 fans when they heard MD and RU were coming in, they had us for cannon fodder. We should have taken care of Rutgers in the finale, which would have put us at 8-4 (5-3) and a better bowl, but we blew it.

Edited by pjfootballer

I really don't consider Michigan elite.  Beyond their recent run to the NCAA's, and the Fab Five era, there's not much in their history.

Football wise, yes, I had you for cannon fodder for the current top teams, and I think it bore itself out in the games to Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State.  What did surprise me was the ability to hang with and beat teams that are currently middle of the pack, like Penn State, Michigan, and Iowa.

Maryland needs to get bigger on both lines, I think they know that.  Penn State just got out from under heavy sanctions and is rebuilding their scholarship levels.  Michigan is in a down period which you can't expect to last.  The question is whether Maryland will be able to continue to hang with everyone and improve.  They certainly made a good start of it this season.

I know Michigan and PSU were down this year, so that made it easier. We hung with MSU for about 2 1/2 quarters until the wheels fell off. We were never in it with Ohio St and Wisconsin. Although I have to say, the Ohio st game could have been closer without the pick 6. It was 38-24 and if we go down and score instead of turning the ball over, it may have made the final score look better. And YES, we need to get bigger/stronger on the lines. We got pushed around a lot.

Michigan won the basketball title in 89, and had some pretty good teams in the 80s, so it goes back a bit further then the Fab 5 era.

Edited by pjfootballer

When Directv gave us the B10 network 4 or 5 years ago, I started watching the classic games. But when it was announced that MD was going to the conference, I ramped up my viewing and knowledge of the conference. Best move we could have made and I was 100% against the first day I heard it announced. I love the conference.

Edited by pjfootballer

It is pretty damn cool to be able to catch nearly every game on the Big Ten Network and not need to watch ESPN3 streams. I think there was only one game I had to stream so far this year.

Turgeon on last night's loss:

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Turgeon-For-First-Time-This-Season-Players-Didnt-Give-All-34564547

Edited by SoulSkin

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Basketball-Turgeon-Adds-6-foot-9-Croatian-Ivan-Bender-32854010

Terps Add 6-foot-9 Croatian Ivan Bender

Maryland basketball has added European big man Ivan Bender, a source confirmed to Inside Maryland Sports. Bender is eligible immediately and could join the team on the court as soon as next week.

A 6-foot-9, 210-pound forward who averaged 10.3 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists at the 2013 Under-19 World Championships, Bender has signed a National Letter of Intent and will join Mark Turgeon's team in the second semester. DraftExpress rated the 18-year old Bender as the No. 47 international prospect in his age group earlier this year; if he's fully recovered from an ACL injury suffered more than a year ago, he could provide help in the Terps' thin frontcourt.

Maryland's success developing Alex Len and its high-profile signing of Michal Cekovsky have given the Terps branding among European prospects, and may have helped in their pursuit of Bender.

An open scholarship -- and the need for another big man -- arose during the summer, when freshman Trayvon Reed didn't enroll at Maryland following an arrest. With the signings of Bender and junior college point guard Jaylen Brantely, Maryland will have four scholarships open after this season. Turgeon has relied heavily on sophomore Damonte Dodd and freshman Cekovsky in the post, and could use another big body now that Big Ten play has arrived.
Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

It is pretty damn cool to be able to catch nearly every game on the Big Ten Network and not need to watch ESPN3 streams. I think there was only one game I had to stream so far this year.

Turgeon on last night's loss:

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Turgeon-For-First-Time-This-Season-Players-Didnt-Give-All-34564547

Definitely nice to see all the games. What killed me being in NC the last few years, is that I only saw MD if they were playing a NC team. Since the ACC didn't have a network and had to split games regionally, I would hardly ever see MD. This year, no such problem. Although, I wish I didn't see last night games.

The womens team ought to win the conference hands down. Rutgers used to be a top team under Vivian Stringer but there is no other team in the B10 strong enough in the long run to hang with the Terps.

Question for you guys. Have you joined a B10 forum? And if you did, which one? I was thinking if joining one, but wasn't sure which one. I don't want to join a team specific site either.

Edited by pjfootballer

The womens team ought to win the conference hands down. Rutgers used to be a top team under Vivian Stringer but there is no other team in the B10 strong enough in the long run to hang with the Terps.

Don't you go trying to be a jinx there Mister.

Geez.

• Like 1

Question for you guys. Have you joined a B10 forum? And if you did, which one? I was thinking if joining one, but wasn't sure which one. I don't want to join a team specific site either.

http://www.offtackleempire.com/

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2364

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Reddit

Maryland needs to develop a killer instinct. Both of the last two games, they got off to good starts against inferior teams. Then it's like they said "oh, this is easy, we can relax."  Then you miss a few shots, the other team makes a few shots, and you have a game. The good news today was that they didn't let Purdue have a massive run like they did with Illinois the other night. I'm glad to see them gut out a road win, but I'd love to see them dominate the whole game like they do the first 5 minutes.

• Like 1