Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Very ugly loss Friday night, but one we've become all too accustomed to seeing under Turgeon. One on one offense with one guy dribbling, one guy fighting for inside position, and three guys standing around. The lack of movement, cutters, drives and dishes has become all too familiar. I've been saying it for the past four years, Turge has got to find an offensive coach, and give him full control over the offensive sets. 

It becomes all the more frustrating considering what a good recruiter Turge is. This is a very talented team, albeit lacking a backup at the point. If Turge gets Moses Brown to sign for next year, the Terps will have a top 3 incoming class to add to Cowan, Huerter, Morsell, Fernando, and possibly Jackson and Wiley. Also, he's got the monster Mitchell twins verbally agreed for 2019. With some better on court coaching, Terps could be knocking on the Final 4 door for a few years, IMO, but they just can't keep having these games of complete offensive futility.

We will not speak of yesterday's bludgeoning. Hope DJ files that away in the memory banks, and gets the chance to run it up on Molester U in the near future.

Edited by Long n Left

Moore needs to learn to run better routes. 

No shade thrown his way, but come on man. 

He is a 3rd round pick as an upside. 

Amazing considering what transpired with the QB situation this season, but...

Same as a NFL QB rookie going to short route players and TE's. 

Soooooo......how much longer do we have to put up with Turd-geon? 

I mean, don’t get me wrong. We don’t suck. He’ll get us to 20 wins and a tourney birth.  But we all know he can’t coach and will never get us to the next level of contending for championships.

Gary had us at elite level or at least close to it. Despite Turd being good at recruiting, it’s never translated on the court. 

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Despite Turd being good at recruiting, it’s never translated on the court. 

This is the dilemma. Turgeon is by far the best recruiter since Lefty, and is an okay defensive coach. Unfortunately, his offense is anemic. 

If he could find an offensive minded coach, and cede control of the offense to that coach, the Terps could be very good. As I've been saying, if Moses Brown chooses Maryland, the Terps will become one of the most talented teams in the nation next year.

• Like 1

Sloppy game. Whole lotta home cooking from the officials in the 2nd half for Illinois, but up by 22 at one point... pretty bad. I don't think they stopped em once on D in OT. Cowan getting fouled with no time on the clock was probably the only way they eeked this one out. A win's a win though.

Holy crap! I turned the game off after Cowan drove to the basket and turned it over with like 17 seconds left. I think they were down 2. I was hanging with a chick at my house and didn't want to be in a bad mood. Amazed to see they came back. 

Huerter has been turning the ball over way too much. He needs to work on his ball handling. Every game I watch he gets the ball stolen at least twice combined with bad passes.

Edited by abdcskins

On 11/29/2017 at 3:06 PM, Kosher Ham said:

Moore needs to learn to run better routes. 

No shade thrown his way, but come on man. 

He is a 3rd round pick as an upside. 

Amazing considering what transpired with the QB situation this season, but...

Same as a NFL QB rookie going to short route players and TE's.

One man's opinion (Mel Kiper)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Finally able to just dominate an opponent from start to finish.  Never in doubt. Finally got the bigs more involved.  Huerter and his damn turnovers.  Right before the half.

Huerter had one turnover the entire game trying to make a last second play. He's forced to handle the ball way more this year because Turgeon didn't recruit a secondary ball handler. He's shooting well over 40% from 3, and he's easily the most instinctive player on the Terps.

If you want to be calling people out, I'd start with Jackson, who hasn't been shooting worth a darn, and making mistakes, and the four year failures, Nickens and Wiley. Nickens is a spot up shooter that can't really do anything else, and Wiley has to be one of the bigger disappointments recently, as he came in amidst big time hype, and is nothing more than a role player.

Also, I'm still scratching my head at Turgeon's substitution pattern. Cekovsky isn't even playing 20 minutes, and Turge is giving Bender time that I think might be better used on Obi. Bender is the definition of JAG.

The five best players on the team are freshmen and sophomores. I expect this team to continue to progress throughout the season, and I hope Cekovsky starts getting more time. I really want to see him and Bruno on the court together. That would be a matchup nightmare for many opponents.