Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

MBB: FINAL - #12 Maryland 70, Minn 58. Trimble 20, Layman & Wells 12. Terps move to 14-1, best start since '96-'97!

When Turgeon was hired, I said Maryland would go to Final 4 within his first five years. Not sure this is a Final 4 team, but playing well.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Melo is very sloppy with the ball, although I gotta say very chippy play. Haven't watched alot of Big Ten ball over the years, is this the norm?

Yeah. Usually tough basketball. This is why I think we have an advantage over the other teams in the B10. We have speed and athleticism. But a good sign is we've out rebounded State and Sota in the first two games.

Big Ten basketball..... :(

Really? Two years ago I was pissed about a possible move. But the more I thought about it and the more I read, in the long run it was the best move we ever made, and not just for the football team, but ALL athletics. I love it! New teams to play, a chance for new rivalries and more money. What more can you ask for? Edited by pjfootballer

Stefon Diggs told me: "After talking with my family during the past few days, I have decided to enter the NFL draft"

Diggs: "We really thought about everything and weighed the pros and cons of staying at Maryland versus entering the draft...

Diggs: "and we decided that this is the best decision for me. This was an extremely difficult decision...

Diggs: "I signed with Maryland three years ago hoping to both put myself in the best position to be successful...

Diggs: "and also to help take my hometown school to a higher level. Coach Edsall and my other coaches have been great to learn from...

Diggs: "and coach Edsall has been great and helpful throughout this process of deciding whether to turn pro...

User Actions

Follow

G3sVHe_N_bigger.jpegMatt Zenitz@mzenitz

Diggs: "There are great days ahead for the University of Maryland football program...

I have mixed feeling about Diggs going pro. I don't think he will go very high, which may put him in the position of having to fight to even make a roster. The other night, they said he was rated the 14th wide receiver in this upcoming draft class. The 14th WR in the draft last year, which may be the greatest WR draft class in a while, went towards the end of the 3rd round (Josh Huff to Philly). There is no guarantees at that spot. Though two WR that went just after that spot were Donte Moncrief of the Colts and John Brown of the Cardinals, and those guys are pretty good. Diggs could have really improved his draft stock.

On the other hand, with the injuries he has had, he needs to get paid before he gets another one. And despite what his ranking is now, I think he will move up after the combine. I don't think he will move up as much as Darius Heyward-Bey, but his skills will move him up. Injuries are the only thing that have kept him down and may keep him lower in the draft.

Good luck to Diggs. He is a great player and I'm sad we didn't get to see his full talents on display.

Damn, what the hell is the point of good recruiting classes if the good players we have and need now, keep leaving?

The Terps have plenty of depth at WR. A bunch of guys were redshirted last season or missed the season with injuries/suspension etc.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Basketball-Tops-Golden-Gophers-Three-Observations-34416626

Maryland 70, Minnesota 58: Three Takeaways

For the second time this season, Maryland basketball has a seven-game winning streak. The Terps topped visiting Minnesota, 70-58, Saturday at Xfinity Center, improving to 14-1 overall and 2-0 in the Big Ten. Three takeaways from today's game ...

They did it (again) with toughness ... In their double-overtime win at Michigan State on Tuesday, the Terps overcome poor shooting by pounding the Spartans on the glass, muscling their way to the free throw line and playing stout defense. The formula remained the same today.

Maryland out-rebounded Minnesota by nine and limited the Golden Gophers to 33.8 percent shooting.

Despite missing 12 of their final 13 3-pointers, a stretch reminiscent of the MSU game, they never trailed in the second half, largely thanks for their uncanny ability to get to the line. During one seven-minute span midway through the second half, Maryland managed one field goal but maintained command by making 12 free throws.

This team was expected to rely heavily on the 3-pointer, and the Terps do like the long ball, but any questions about their toughness heading into the Big Ten have been answered. Mark Turgeon's team continues to play grown man basketball. Freshman Melo Trimble struggled again shooting the ball, missing seven of eight 3s. But like he did against the Spartans, Trimble willed his way to the line, attempting 13 foul shots. The only surprise: he missed four of them.

Dodd continues to blossom ... He's always had the raw tools to be a good college player, but if anyone tells you they saw this coming from sophomore center Damonte Dodd this season, they're probably lying.

For the second time in two conference games, Dodd tilted things in his team's favor with big plays. He finished with a career-high 12 rebounds in just 20 minutes of play, made all three of his shots en route to nine points, blocked three shots, dished two assists and grabbed a steal. Trimble's arrival and Jake Layman's emergence have been the biggest factors in Maryland's best start in 18 years, but Dodd's unexpected impact has been vital because he plays the team's thinnest position.

Dodd is a year away from posting bigger numbers because foul trouble continues to limit him, but he's increasingly looking like a future pro if he keeps up anywhere near this rate of growth. Lastly, keep in mind his big day today came against a burly center in Minnesota's Maurice Walker -- not an undersized opponent.

The big-game buzz is back ... It's hard to recall the last time Maryland played at home against a non-rival in that sort of environment.

Maryland's largest home crowd of the season was loud and dialed into the game from the opening tip, far more so than it's been in recent years against nondescript conference opponents. Whether it's the rising national ranking, the big win at Michigan State or a bit of everything, the Terps appear to have finally won back a chunk of fans with their sensational first half. For the program, it's fans and the school, regularly playing in front of large and intense crowds -- against anyone not named Duke or Virginia -- has been a long time coming. 

I have mixed feeling about Diggs going pro. I don't think he will go very high, which may put him in the position of having to fight to even make a roster. The other night, they said he was rated the 14th wide receiver in this upcoming draft class. The 14th WR in the draft last year, which may be the greatest WR draft class in a while, went towards the end of the 3rd round (Josh Huff to Philly). There is no guarantees at that spot. Though two WR that went just after that spot were Donte Moncrief of the Colts and John Brown of the Cardinals, and those guys are pretty good. Diggs could have really improved his draft stock.

On the other hand, with the injuries he has had, he needs to get paid before he gets another one. And despite what his ranking is now, I think he will move up after the combine. I don't think he will move up as much as Darius Heyward-Bey, but his skills will move him up. Injuries are the only thing that have kept him down and may keep him lower in the draft.

Good luck to Diggs. He is a great player and I'm sad we didn't get to see his full talents on display.

Diggs will go in the 3rd round at worst. He had some struggles at UMD with injuries, but he is a very talented player.
  • Like 1

Melo is very sloppy with the ball, although I gotta say very chippy play. Haven't watched alot of Big Ten ball over the years, is this the norm?

Yeah, Big 10 basketball is often defensive and low scoring, and sometimes ugly.  But it's fairly effective.  If you look over previous tournament brackets, the Big 10 doesn't win it all very often, but they frequently have teams in the final four and occasionally the championship.  And they seem to be good at making more talented teams play down to their level.  Might be good experience for the Terps later on in the season, getting used to the kind of grind while having players that are more talented.